The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

McCann won't make the team because he'd have to be the 4C as the rookie due to seniority, and that's not the best route for him to develop. Not to say he should never play 4C, just that he needs to have a legitimate opportunity to buy up top9 minutes if we're gonna mold him into a 1C. Who knows though, maybe that's why they're trying him as a winger to see how versatile he is. I just don't see two 19 year olds making it in the same year unless there is NO OTHER CHOICE.

They said the same thing about Horvat.

And who's talking about two 19 years olds? The way I see it, only one 19 year old has earned a spot on the team.

Just remember, it might not be a bad idea to have McCann to just play under 39 games.... thus while burning a year off his ELC, it doesn't burn a year towards his UFA status.

Burning a year off his ELC early isn't a bad idea, as it could potentially prevent him from "proving more" to earn a larger contract after.

Exactly.

Virtanen hasn't done jack crap.

Gaunce has outperformed him for the available wing spot.

But meat and potatoes this and that, they'll give Virtanen the spot because Gaunce can be sent down.

They play opposite wings so they're not competing for the same spot.

Virtanen has shown he can handle the physical aspect of the NHL. Where the decision will be made is if they think he needs to become a better two way player, and if going back to the Hitmen will actually do that.

He may be in better hands under Willie than his junior coach.

They said the same thing about Horvat.

And who's talking about two 19 years olds? The way I see it, only one 19 year old has earned a spot on the team.

Exactly. Jake has been ok this preseason, other than the opener, yes he does throw his weight around, but there really hasn't been much plays where you can say " Wow!". He hasn't fallen on his face by any stretch despite pretty much being given a spot on a roster on a silver platter. Even after that goal against Calgary, Virtanen was just ok. McCann on the other hand has shown much much more, he can defintely keep up with the pace in the big leagues and unravel the skil set that made him a top prospect.

Jake hasn't done anything to dissuade us that hes not worthy of making the team, but McCann play has really opened up the eyes of the coaching staff big time. Its a question of filling a need , or going by upside

I hope we keep Mccann up for nine games to have a good look.

He can't be much worse than Vey.

If Mcann excels then I hope they keep him longer.

For guy with something to prove, Vey hasn't done a whole lot this preseason. Baertchi, other than tonight, was pretty mediocre in the games hes played, I was expecting a little bit more from these guys. If you're a vet like Burrows, Sedins, etc. its ok to treat the preseason like its a Sunday skate but not when you've got a 1 year "show me" contract. I was expecting a lot more from those two

I don't see McCann making the team while Virtanen doesn't. They both bring different attributes but that's just politics imo. It's a stretch for both of them to make it but if either of them do it will likely be Virtanen just because we need what he brings more urgently.

If we look at Horvat, he was given the 4th line role, and did well with protected minutes. He was given time to develop, but not to the point where he couldn't handle the responsibility. 12 minutes a game would be fine. Especially if he's on the power play. We can have Bo and McCann on 1st and 2nd unit power play. The Sedins can just play 1st line minutes and no special teams, so that they are not overworked.

Vey isn't going anywhere. As I've said all along he's an excellent 13th forward/sometimes 4C, sometimes 4RW that we're going to need for right wing depth when we move Vrbata at the deadline.

IMO with Higgins out, it's entirely possible Vey, Gaunce, McCann and Virtanen are all on the the team to start with. Two of which will be in the press box at any given time (possibly along with Prust).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Prust - McCann - Hansen/Dorsett

Kenins/Vey

Looks good to me.

McCann's convinced me. Give him the 9, see where he's at.

I'd put Vey through waivers (decent, ~70% chance he makes it imo). Let him build some confidence with big minutes in Utica. His biggest problem seems to be total confusion adapting to his new role, chasing constantly. Worst thing they could do with him now is make him #13.

McCann's convinced me. Give him the 9, see where he's at.

I'd put Vey through waivers (decent, ~70% chance he makes it imo). Let him build some confidence with big minutes in Utica. His biggest problem seems to be total confusion adapting to his new role, chasing constantly. Worst thing they could do with him now is make him #13.

There's no vey that Vey passes waivers.

I don't see McCann making the team while Virtanen doesn't. They both bring different attributes but that's just politics imo. It's a stretch for both of them to make it but if either of them do it will likely be Virtanen just because we need what he brings more urgently.

I think what we need more urgently is scoring, and Virtanen hasn't really shown at all he can do that better than some of the other prospects.

Funny how Virtanen and McCann seem miles ahead in terms of skill, physicality and development than Gaunce, Jensen and Shinkaruk.

I honestly think McCann deserves a winger spot over Virtanen right now. Sure, Virtanen can play that crash-bang bottom-6 role much better, but McCann is almost a point per game in the preseason and displaying some skill this team hasn't seen offensively in a while.

I'm still curious when McCann was drafted Benning said there was a couple of GM's that wanted his pick to select McCann. Anybody have clue who the GM's might have been? I think the Leafs might have been one of them with Dubas in management.

I think NYI may have been one.

They wanted the 24th, that's for sure.

Funny how Virtanen and McCann seem miles ahead in terms of skill, physicality and development than Gaunce, Jensen and Shinkaruk.

I honestly think McCann deserves a winger spot over Virtanen right now. Sure, Virtanen can play that crash-bang bottom-6 role much better, but McCann is almost a point per game in the preseason and displaying some skill this team hasn't seen offensively in a while.

This pre-season has really opened my eyes to McCann, especially in relation to Virtanen. I agree that Virtanen is physically ready right now, but he seems to play solo most of the time and doesn't appear to have any chemistry with whoever he's playing with. McCann on the other hand seems to work well with whoever he's playing with and seems to make those around him better, even when he's playing out of position. I just worry about whether he's physically ready for the pounding he'll face when playing real games.

I hope they both get their 9 games but the decision to keep one or both beyond that will be interesting.

Archived