The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Funny how all the uproar of Cassels flying past McCann on the emotional depth charts in the hallows of CDC has subsided!

FTR I like both guys. But some did warn that, all play off success aside, McCann was still the faster, slicker, more skilled player...

I don't really understand that uproar seeing how Cassels was drafted a year BEFORE McCann.

I'm still curious when McCann was drafted Benning said there was a couple of GM's that wanted his pick to select McCann. Anybody have clue who the GM's might have been? I think the Leafs might have been one of them with Dubas in management.

The Islanders wanted to move up to draft Ho-Sang. Benning said he was approached after the draft about McCann by a couple of GMs.

This kid is a definite show-me player. He's dying to prove that in his draft year, he should have gone in the top half of the draft. Dying to prove that if he'd been in training camp last year, he would have been given a chance to make the team.

I think in a few years time, we're going to be looking at the Kesler for the 24th pick (McCann) as a 1 for 1 deal, with Sutter from Forsling and Sbisa as a throw in. Some might want to throw Sbisa back, but I'm hopeful that coaching turn him into a solid player. He's been in the league since he was 18 and some players just need more time to develop. He wouldn't have made it this far if he didn't have the ability.

The 24th pick was a crap shoot, but for this kid to fall in our lap looks glorious atm. Benning must have been licking his chops when McCann fell that far. watch from 1:06 http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=628064

Man, I never thought WD would be so bold as to say what he did last night. Namely that they can't ignore guys like McCann and Hutton, as they 'deserve' spots. He also said guys jobs are at risk. Massive statements, and a real indication that McCann/Gaunce/Virtanen/Hutton could all potentially make this team.

The way I see it, we're at 18 forwards right now. Higgins is on IR, and the last of the 'easy' cuts include Grenier and Cracknell. With this we move down to 15 forwards, with a waiver ineligible Kenins and Gaunce. Now if it's guys that have earned it, Kenins would find himself in the AHL to start the season. WD has indicated they plan to run with 14 F. So, really only 1 tough cut left up front, and I'm thinking it's Kenins at this rate.

I've been kinda impressed with Cracknell, Grenier not as much. He might be an insurance policy for later in the season.

If McCann makes the team this year, and progress similarly to how Horvat did last year. What do canucks do next off season?

We just signed Sutter to a 5 year extension, so we likely dont trade him. Sedins will still have two years left. Horvat could be locked into to 2nd line center. Where does McCann fit? Do they bump him to the already log jammed LW (Gaunce, Kenins, Shinkaruk)

For this reason, I see the canucks not rushing him. Sending him back to Junior this year, Having him play a two split seasons in the AHL and NHL. And then when Henriks contract is up youd have a Horvat (23 years old), McCann (22 years old) and Sutter (29 years old) down the middle for years to come. Possibly Cassels (23 years old) as the 4th line center as well.

I could see the organization going with 4 lines that can score.......give all 4 dmen someone who can score, and McCaans good to go.

The 24th pick was a crap shoot, but for this kid to fall in our lap looks glorious atm. Benning must have been licking his chops when McCann fell that far. watch from 1:06 http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=628064

...He plays a more honest game...and he can really rip the puck.

GMJB is da man...I completely trust his vision for this team. McCann is such a solid prospect. All of the good moves GMJB has made make the over payments on certain trades a little easier to swallow...You can't win every deal in the NHL.

...He plays a more honest game...and he can really rip the puck.

GMJB is da man...I completely trust his vision for this team. McCann is such a solid prospect. All of the good moves GMJB has made make the over payments on certain trades a little easier to swallow...You can't win every deal in the NHL.

That's what I like about him......he doesnt hamstring himself with the need to always win a deal. He knows what he wants in his lineup and he acts. Guarantee other GMs will have no issues dealing with JB.

First goal Jones has let in in a long time. McCann looks like he's the real deal and by FAR the best Canuck rookie all pre-season. Give him 9 games, he's certainly deserved them.

I've tried to temper my expectations for him this season.. but yes, he absolutely has earned the 9 game showing. He's been the best forward prospect and Hutton has been the best defensive prospect. Virtanen hasn't disappointed though, he's played his game and got some points. For sure McCann has earned a further look though. If he makes the team I'm buying his jersey. Case closed.

Vey should start packing because after tonight, McCann's performance tonight was stellar. Notice how both goals hes scored, the goalies had almost little to no time to react because of his release?

I liked Virtanens game a lot more than last night, Im not sure hes a fit with the Sedins YET, but he was very assertive tonight with the physical play and his north and south style. Theres no doubt the kid can handle the rigours of the physical play.

Hutton was tremendous tonight, very safe, and when he wanted to push the pace he did..a few mistakes in coverage but he had a lot of moments in the offensive part of the game

Says a lot about how much the coaching likes the kid. Had more ice time then virtannen and gaunce.

I think management are giving him a very long look as he has probably surprised them along with the whole fan base. The pundits were right when the said this kid had top 5 hockey iq in that draft, in fact McKeen's had him top 3.

I think management are giving him a very long look as he has probably surprised them along with the whole fan base. The pundits were right when the said this kid had top 5 hockey iq in that draft, in fact McKeen's had him top 3.

Guys like McCann and Hutton aren't surprising to some. It's just most of our fanbase doesn't play close attention to them when they're not in Vancouver or Utica.

Archived