The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Until then, we need to find a short term fill in there for one year. I suppose it could be Benn but maybe Benning can work a little basic there.

Magic. :)

Agree again. Benn actually prefers the right side if I remember correctly but he has been less than stellar since joining us. Rafferty is also a consideration there, though I imagine we would rather have a defensive-minded guy there instead of an offensive one. If Benning doesn't swing real good shutdown guy for the right to join for long-term, I'd like to see a 1 year deal as you describe for a solid but cheaper defensive guy.

Tryamkin can join us late in the season can he not? Then its really just a short term stop-gap until then if so. And if Tryamkin can't cut it, we can look elsewhere next season. 

Adding Schmidt changes quite a bit for us. It's not ideally enough, but with him added and the possibility of a Tryamkin return, combined with OJ getting a shot to show his stuff AND Rathbone waiting in the wings, I like this new direction.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Magic. :)

Agree again. Benn actually prefers the right side if I remember correctly but he has been less than stellar since joining us. Rafferty is also a consideration there, though I imagine we would rather have a defensive-minded guy there instead of an offensive one. If Benning doesn't swing real good shutdown guy for the right to join for long-term, I'd like to see a 1 year deal as you describe for a solid but cheaper defensive guy.

Tryamkin can join us late in the season can he not? Then its really just a short term stop-gap until then if so. And if Tryamkin can't cut it, we can look elsewhere next season. 

Adding Schmidt changes quite a bit for us. It's not ideally enough, but with him added and the possibility of a Tryamkin return, combined with OJ getting a shot to show his stuff AND Rathbone waiting in the wings, I like this new direction.

Yes, magic. Freaking autocorrect...

Depends on what they do with adjusting the 'sign free agents before' date, for what will be a delayed season. Normally it's December but I doubt they'll make it so guys playing in Euro leagues can simply show up mid-NHL season once there's are done. Don't expect we'll see him until the year following unfortunately.

And yes, adding Schmidt is a game changer. Suddenly our D prospects don't need to be all world for us to have a very good D unit.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

I can see Tryamkin pairing up with Schmidt.  They can both play both sides, so they can switch on the ice at any time.  I think they would make a good pairing.  Myers can play with either Juolevi or Rathbone, so that leaves us still looking for a partner for Hughes.  I can't see a scenario where both Juolevi and Rathbone are on the roster, so I can see a trade where one of them is used as a piece to get a right handed Dman for Hughes.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Tryamkin pairing up with Schmidt.  They can both play both sides, so they can switch on the ice at any time.  I think they would make a good pairing.  Myers can play with either Juolevi or Rathbone, so that leaves us still looking for a partner for Hughes.  I can't see a scenario where both Juolevi and Rathbone are on the roster, so I can see a trade where one of them is used as a piece to get a right handed Dman for Hughes.

Hughes can also play both sides FWIW.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is a question for you folks.

Could Benning have signed Tryamkin and loaned him back to his current club?

That way not taking the Cap hit until they were ready

Wouldn't that mean they could immediately recall him when the NHL season starts?

Doubt KHL teams would like that

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I asked that question a while back Jan,.   And kind of answered it mysel& by saying that his agent should be, and have been seeking all options available for Tryamkin when that window appeared.

Truly a shame if it was not discussed then.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I asked that question a while back Jan,.   And kind of answered it mysel& by saying that his agent should be, and have been seeking all options available for Tryamkin when that window appeared.

Truly a shame if it was not discussed then.

At the end of the day, this is a Benning thing

What I do not get, and I mean I do not understand Benning's thinking on it

Is that Tryamkin is a potential 1st or 2nd pairing that would come cheap

It is up to Benning to think of these things and execute them

It is Benning's job to ice the very best team he can, and my dismay is that 

we only own Tryamkin's rights for this coming year and that is it.............

Benning has wasted enough time............

If I am wrong...I am wrong, but if Benning is wrong it could cost us big!

IMO Benning has to think outside the box, and I am not sure he is capable of it

Hense why Eriksson is still here

I think the reason Benning didn’t get the deal done when he could have a few months ago was because he didn’t know if other leagues (AHL, etc) would be running, meaning there might be multiple prospects that need playing time and to be potentially signed by the big club. 
But still, given Tryamkin’s desire to sign, and the need he would fill, I agree that it should have been a sign-and-loan to KHL.

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

At the end of the day, this is a Benning thing

What I do not get, and I mean I do not understand Benning's thinking on it

Is that Tryamkin is a potential 1st or 2nd pairing that would come cheap

It is up to Benning to think of these things and execute them

It is Benning's job to ice the very best team he can, and my dismay is that 

we only own Tryamkin's rights for this coming year and that is it.............

Benning has wasted enough time............

If I am wrong...I am wrong, but if Benning is wrong it could cost us big!

IMO Benning has to think outside the box, and I am not sure he is capable of it

Hense why Eriksson is still here

Loui is an anchor that has slowed the progress of the younger guys getting mor ice from Utica.

i personally would have liked to have seen ZM involved earlier, and J Bailey..  oh yeah, and there’s that thing that someone wrote a song about..  you get your money for nothin,..  and 

Loui should have been waived to Utica at the start of last season, or the end of the season before.

players should hold their own game accountable in these situations.   Ownership and Management need protection from these situations.  A lot of times it’s not about their game dropping off,  it’s about playing safe and not retiring hurt. 

In Tryamkins case, this keeps him out of the Extorsion Draft.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 4

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Loui is an anchor that has slowed the progress of the younger guys getting mor ice from Utica.

i personally would have liked to have seen ZM involved earlier, and J Bailey..  oh yeah, and there’s that thing that someone wrote a song about..  you get your money for nothin,..  and 

Loui should have been waived to Utica at the start of last season, or the end of the season before.

players should hold their own game accountable in these situations.   Ownership and Management need protection from these situations.  A lot of times it’s not about their game dropping off,  it’s about playing safe and not retiring hurt. 

I laughed at your name for the Expansion draft....funny!

But here are our Defensemen so far this year...........we get to protect 3

Edler............................Contract expires, and is old.....................

Myers...........................Needs Protection

Hughes.........................Exempt

Benn.............................Who Cares

Schmidt........................Needs Protection

Juolevi..........................Needs Protection

Rathbone.....................Exempt

Woo.............................Exempt

Chatfield.......................Not worth protecting

Brisebois......................Not worth protecting

So, yes I guess Tryamkin might need protecting, but I thought I read he did not..............so I don't really know

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Loui was useful last season as a 12th/13th forward, which is where Green played him. 

Bo’s line played well for long stretches when Loui was there. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I laughed at your name for the Expansion draft....funny!

But here are our Defensemen so far this year...........we get to protect 3

Edler............................Contract expires, and is old.....................

Myers...........................Needs Protection

Hughes.........................Exempt

Benn.............................Who Cares

Schmidt........................Needs Protection

Juolevi..........................Needs Protection

Rathbone.....................Exempt

Woo.............................Exempt

Chatfield.......................Not worth protecting

Brisebois......................Not worth protecting

So, yes I guess Tryamkin might need protecting, but I thought I read he did not..............so I don't really know

I’m almost certain that Myers doesn’t need protection. I remember reading it at the time that he was signed. 

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nashville did.  They loaned Trenin to Podkolzin's team until the start of training camp.

Cap wise a loan is like a demotion to the AHL - only 1.075M can be buried and the rest of the cap hit would stay on the books.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think he'd only need protection if he were signed to a 2020-21 NHL contract and played this season. Otherwise, he's exempt.

Tryamkin currently shows as "exempt" on Cap Friendly, and I also read that the Canucks have confirmed his status with the league, and he will remain exempt, so long as he stays in Russia for the 2020-21 season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he'd only need protection if he were signed to a 2020-21 NHL contract and played this season. Otherwise, he's exempt.

Tryamkin currently shows as "exempt" on Cap Friendly, and I also read that the Canucks have confirmed his status with the league, and he will remain exempt, so long as he stays in Russia for the 2020-21 season.

Till what date do we hold Tryamkin's rights till?

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Edit: 30th June 2022 I believe 

It's August 30th 2021:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

Just realizing it might roll over to the end of his contract year... Kinda contradictory, says 27th b-day, but when you roll over it says June 30th '22... now I'm confused.:wacko:

Edited by Chickenspear

31 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

It's August 30th 2021:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

Just realizing it might roll over to the end of his contract year... Kinda contradictory, says 27th b-day, but when you roll over it says June 30th '22... now I'm confused.:wacko:

Your edit has it right. 

Assuming free agency is on a normal schedule, then Tryamkin would miss July 1st, 2021, and his “27yo birthday” would be effective July 1st, 2022.

Don’t ask me what happens if free agency gets delayed to September 1st, 2021 due to Covid. I don’t think that’s been addressed yet, but it could be a factor. Hopefully not.

• Cheers 1