The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bieksa will only waive NTC if new team offers contract extension

You ever listen to 1040? Ever go on twitter? add those to the list of places people were crying about the Garrison deal last week. Its a fact jack.

Well to be fair

Some of us hated that deal from the get go.

What a sad return for a top 4 D man even if only a cap dump.

You dont really watch him on a regular basis then do you. Wilson is a younger Dustin Brown. Id take him in a heartbeat.

Well I don't know what you're watching. He's a reckless player with not much offensive tools. We have one in Kassian who can at least score and has the skillset. Easy pass.

Same folks who want bieksa gone for a crap return are the same folks who were cheering when Garrison got moved for a 2nd and then crying when T-bay made it to the finals.

The Garrison trade gave us 2 things; cap space, and a moveable asset.

The Bieksa trade can bring us 2 things; cap space and moveable assets

Moving Garrison allowed us to sign Vrbata, who I would take over Garrison 10 times out of ten. It also gave us a moveable asset, which we used to trade for a prospect. Moving Bieksa would give us flexibility in free agency or in trades where we can pry players away from teams who are close to the cap. It also gives us a pick or two, which will allow us to be younger. Trades like these allow us to improve now, and for the future. Like what Benning wants. Also, we have Corrado and Clendening who are NHL ready, and are much cheaper

You ever listen to 1040? Ever go on twitter? add those to the list of places people were crying about the Garrison deal last week. Its a fact jack.

No, I keep away from those places, which do make CDC look pretty good, if that's possible. It's just that here, I didn't notice any big problem over TB making the finals. Yeah, some were second-guessing the Garrison trade, but that's a separate issue.

Well to be fair

Some of us hated that deal from the get go.

What a sad return for a top 4 D man even if only a cap dump.

If what you're saying here is that Garrison wasn't a smart acquisition in the first place, I agree, but yeah, the return when we moved him sucked.

Guys please go watch the replay of the playoffs. If you have a chance to get rid of Bieksa for decent value then for all means do it!

This could be a game changer if they can trade Bieksa for decent return. Why? He is not that good, just because he acts tough doesn't make him good. Trade him now so we can then end up keeping hamuis. Then sign Franson and you might have something special there.

Imagine this

Edler - Tanev

Hamuis Franson

as your top 4 not too shabby.

To Columbus for a 2nd and a 3rd.

This would be a great move if he could pull the trigger. Good hockey trade that works for both teams. I'll miss Kev as much as the next guy but this is direction the franchise needs to move in to open up roster spots to youth and bring in more prospects to replace the graduating prospects. We have great character and high energy guys working their way onto the team right now and I think that youthful enthusiasm will help rejuvenate this team's character, and redefine it's playing style. For the better.

Edit: Here's a reality though: Sometimes a GM needs to play the stock market instead of letting their emotions gets the best of them.

Smart move, as much as I like Bieksa. If Jim thinks Corrado and/or Clendenning are ready, then we need to make room for these up and coming players. You take a risk obviously, as Bieksa is a proven NHLer, but this is the only way to get new faces into the lineup. Worst comes to worst we have a bad year and draft well in 2016 for the future. Best case scenario, Corrado and or Clendenning have great seasons and prove their worth to the team. Not to mention trading Bieksa may get us another defensive prospect, or some picks, which this team is still sorely short on.

Bieksa at a new 34 has trade value. He's tough, kills penalties and can be a PP option. Guy logs 20minutes plus and would look good with a #1 dman next to him, Dmen like that are a rarity and don't become available too often. I would think Bieksa would have trade value of at least a high pick and a good propect or younger guy coming back. If you can't get that I would keep him. Cap hit is reasonable and he can be traded at the deadline too where values are always pumped up.

Cap will need to be managed but there are other options (Higgins/Hansen/Burrows).

Agreed. I bet if he's interested, 20+ teams are calling. There is maybe a dozen guys in the league that bring the same intangibles. The guy oozes leadership as well. Perfect role model for young guys and a good 2/3 guy. Imo, because of his hard nosed style, he'd bring the highest return of any of our d-men.

Guys please go watch the replay of the playoffs. If you have a chance to get rid of Bieksa for decent value then for all means do it!

This could be a game changer if they can trade Bieksa for decent return. Why? He is not that good, just because he acts tough doesn't make him good. Trade him now so we can then end up keeping hamuis. Then sign Franson and you might have something special there.

Imagine this

Edler - Tanev

Hamuis Franson

as your top 4 not too shabby.

:lol: go back and watch Edler play in the playoffs. Dude didnt even get hit and was playing scared and nervous.

am i missing something here...benning hasn't anyone with ntc to drop them, but bieksa will if the new team give him an extension .....someone isn't being honest...i would think that benning has had conversations with bieksa and probably hamhuis about what they would do...canucks need cap help...it has to come from somewhere...i believe bennings knows exactly which team covet him or hamhuis and if they would go there...you don't go to the draft table and have a team ask for their players and then phone bieksa and ask him if he'll drop his no trade to go to a new team...you have to know all that stuff ahead of time...we are just not privy to it...

Really, this again?

Bieksa May Waive NTC if Contract is Extended First

I'm not going to bother with the video, but I can only assume their using that same Strickland twitter source as backing for the Bieksa claim. That was tissue paper thin then, and it hasn't gotten any stronger since.

^This right here. And saying tissue paper thin is giving this tsn garbage speculation too much credit.

am i missing something here...benning hasn't anyone with ntc to drop them, but bieksa will if the new team give him an extension .....someone isn't being honest...i would think that benning has had conversations with bieksa and probably hamhuis about what they would do...canucks need cap help...it has to come from somewhere...i believe bennings knows exactly which team covet him or hamhuis and if they would go there...you don't go to the draft table and have a team ask for their players and then phone bieksa and ask him if he'll drop his no trade to go to a new team...you have to know all that stuff ahead of time...we are just not privy to it...

Absolutely: that's why this rumour is at least credible.

Absolutely: that's why this rumour is at least credible.

Based on what? The fact that a two bit, &^@#tard, chucklehead like Darren Dreger made some passing comment that it might happen. You know these idiots base most of their reports on speculation, especially at this time of year, don't you?

Well I don't know what you're watching. He's a reckless player with not much offensive tools. We have one in Kassian who can at least score and has the skillset. Easy pass.

I watch caps as much as I watch the canucks. Wilson can play anywhere in the lineup and spent a good chunk of time on the first line with Backstrom and Ovi. He didn’t look out of place. He’s got hand and he hits everything. Best case scenario Wilson becomes a Dustin Brown. Worst case he’s a Torres. Either way he’s an effective player in the post season. If I’m the caps he’s not the person I trade for Bieska after likely losing Ward to UFA.

I don’t really see that rumour having any legs since caps don’t need Bieska, they already have Orpik who’s meaner, younger and better than Juice. They also have niskanen, Carlson, Alzner in there top four. Bowey and Orlov on the back. No real need for a 4.6 cap hit depth D man. What caps really need is a RW to play with Ovi.

Archived