Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On 2018-03-18 at 8:09 PM, coastal.view said:

nice thought

but i do not think it is even close

bure was by far more impressive

his brought a much more varied skill set to his game

and so had many more adjustments to make to fine tune his game to the nhl

he would actually carry games and force teams to game plan against his much more diverse game

i really like brock's game.. who doesn't

but he does not bring much power or raw speed to the team

he is much more subtle overall

and is a bit more 1 dimensional.. he is primarily a deadly sniper

i cannot really think of a game where he carried the team in terms of his play this year

bure was also a sniper

but teams only had to see him once

to see how fast, skilled and dangerous he was

as a result his impact to the canucks was more immediate

and other teams game planned against him almost immediately

he really did carry the team many games

bure had superstar written all over him from pretty much the first time he hit the ice

cannot say the same for brock

he may still end up a superstar, but it is less clear from the outset

Yup, Bure was literally electrifying.  Boeser is more like Bossy.  He needs other players to get him the puck in scoring position.  I think Brock is more the pure goal scorer between the two.

your posts are poetic, which is cool.  Do you try a certain measure?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope you are enjoying writing in this style but please realize, if others are remotely similar to me, I find it unreadable.   I stop at the first line as my head goes back to a time when forced to read bad poetry or similar.    Bully for you trying to create a style but not sure how many even notice.   I think you were comparing Bure to Boeser but you could also have been describing a beautiful sunset and your unfulfilled dream of being a dancer for all I could tell.

I think he posts from a Casio calculator

Image result for casio calculator

B) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope you are enjoying writing in this style but please realize, if others are remotely similar to me, I find it unreadable.   I stop at the first line as my head goes back to a time when forced to read bad poetry or similar.    Bully for you trying to create a style but not sure how many even notice.   I think you were comparing Bure to Boeser but you could also have been describing a beautiful sunset and your unfulfilled dream of being a dancer for all I could tell.

Did we have the same English teacher?

As soon as I see something that resembles poetry I immediately have the sense, "This will be fluffy prose, full of obtuse and colourful but nebulous language that I'll have no clue what it's referring to, and am too lazy to strain my brain to try to figure it out.  On to the next!"

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2018 at 9:09 PM, coastal.view said:

Nice thought, but i do not think it is even close.  Bure was by far more impressive, and brought a much more varied skill set to his game

I do agree that Bure was more impressive and his toolbox was bigger.  He was stronger, faster, had better hands and lateral mobility.

Bure was also playing in an era which had far more clutch and grab hockey, where you needed such traits if you wanted to get anywhere close to the net.  Such skills are nice to have even now, but not absolutely necessary to be a scorer. For Boeser, he's good at dodging/bouncing off checks and while he might not be as strong as Bure, he usually finds a way to retain possession as well.  He is probably better than Bure at finding the right position on the ice, whereas Bure relied on his acceleration to get away from opponents instead.  Bure was more of an in-tight deker, whereas Boeser has the better wrist shot. 

Really, I don't think the two should be compared at all as they played a totally different kind of game, but if I had to pick one for all-out ability I do believe Bure was the better player.  But that's ok - Boeser is still excellent and is already my 5 year old son's favourite.

7 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Buble is a HUGE Canuck’ fan.  I remember him as a really young guy phoning in to Dan Russell’s “Sports Talk”, well before he became the star he is now.  I’m sure this was his idea.  Brock did Awesome to agree to it.  Everyone is soon going to love Boeser as much as we all do in VC.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2018 at 1:32 PM, SpennyCanuck said:

haha didnt notice, but Boeser and Tanev caught me awkwardly staring at them... haha 

On 3/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Alflives said:

Not to worry.  Considering the hockey wild market they play in, I'm betting those guys get stared at a lot.  

Image result for staring gif eyebrow flirt

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, coastal.view said:

nice thought

but i do not think it is even close

bure was by far more impressive

his brought a much more varied skill set to his game

and so had many more adjustments to make to fine tune his game to the nhl

he would actually carry games and force teams to game plan against his much more diverse game

i really like brock's game.. who doesn't

but he does not bring much power or raw speed to the team

he is much more subtle overall

and is a bit more 1 dimensional.. he is primarily a deadly sniper

i cannot really think of a game where he carried the team in terms of his play this year

bure was also a sniper

but teams only had to see him once

to see how fast, skilled and dangerous he was

as a result his impact to the canucks was more immediate

and other teams game planned against him almost immediately

he really did carry the team many games

bure had superstar written all over him from pretty much the first time he hit the ice

cannot say the same for brock

he may still end up a superstar, but it is less clear from the outset

Not many players backed off the defense at their own blue line like Bure.  He also put the fear of God in pinching defensemen... just in case he chipped past them, or left the zone early on a turnover - the other team had to surrender the Canucks' blue line a lot when Bure was on the ice, and possession was in doubt.

Just to piss on the cornflakes.......Boeser had most of his goals before Christmas......he's got to work on his separation speed (first 2 strides).   It'll do wonders and since he's being marked closer, he needs an edge to get that awesome shot away

Edited by Crabcakes

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Just to piss on the cornflakes.......Boeser had most of his goals before Christmas......he's got to work on his separation speed (first 2 strides).   It'll do wonders and since he's being marked closer, he needs an edge to get that awesome shot away

Good point. With separation speed, I think we are looking at near Stamkos level of a goal scorer.: 40 goal scorer. I hope he works on this and come back strong next season.

10. Interesting conversation last week with Winnipeg’s Kyle Connor. In the 2015 draft, he thought he was going to Florida. The Panthers were picking 11th, “and I had a lot of good conversations with them,” he said. “But I remember that Lawson Crouse was supposed to be a high pick and he dropped down to them. So I understood why it didn’t happen.” From there, Connor wasn’t sure. Neither were the Jets, although every team knew the Boston, which picked 13, 14, and 15 had a different list than almost everyone else. Most teams agree that Vancouver had Brock Boeser ranked higher than almost everyone else, but when I said that on-air a few weeks ago, someone reached out to say there were two teams the Canucks privately admitted they were afraid of. One was Minnesota, which was common knowledge. It took me a while, but I finally figured out the other. It was the Jets. If Connor was gone, Boeser was going to be the pick. Worked out for Winnipeg — and Vancouver.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-daniel-henrik-sedin-retirement/

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, Crabcakes said:

Not pissing on cornflakes at all.   I think Boeser slowed a bit for two main reasons:

• Losing Horvat and the rest of the more skilled players (Baer) and such, the Canucks simply didn't score much in Jan and Feb
  • His own stamina - not uncommon for college kids in first pro year to hit a wall as unlike the CHL route, they practice more than they play in college and playing more than 50 games is a first for a lot of those kids

I am not sure his skating separation speed is or is not sufficient moving forward, faster is always better, but I project more consistency as his career moves forward as the talent around him improves (that is certainly the appearance for the Canucks) and he gets more used to the longer season.     His "edge" can come from the filthy passes the likes of EP, OJ and others he has yet to play with will be putting on his stick.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not pissing on cornflakes at all.   I think Boeser slowed a bit for two main reasons:

• Losing Horvat and the rest of the more skilled players (Baer) and such, the Canucks simply didn't score much in Jan and Feb
  • His own stamina - not uncommon for college kids in first pro year to hit a wall as unlike the CHL route, they practice more than they play in college and playing more than 50 games is a first for a lot of those kids

I am not sure his skating separation speed is or is not sufficient moving forward, faster is always better, but I project more consistency as his career moves forward as the talent around him improves (that is certainly the appearance for the Canucks) and he gets more used to the longer season.     His "edge" can come from the filthy passes the likes of EP, OJ and others he has yet to play with will be putting on his stick.

I think you're making a good point here.  As the skill level of the Canucks in general improves it will help all players to perform better.  I think there is a "critical mass" as it were, where synergies take hold and the team will improve rapidly.  We can see this with Winnipeg and Colorado and others.

As for Boeser, I expected to get flamed for sounding critical.  I'm a big fan of Boeser and he strikes me as a guy who will work hard over the summer and he will improve a lot as time goes on.  

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think you're making a good point here.  As the skill level of the Canucks in general improves it will help all players to perform better.  I think there is a "critical mass" as it were, where synergies take hold and the team will improve rapidly.  We can see this with Winnipeg and Colorado and others.

As for Boeser, I expected to get flamed for sounding critical.  I'm a big fan of Boeser and he strikes me as a guy who will work hard over the summer and he will improve a lot as time goes on.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Boeser can improve his skating. It's something you could say about the majority of NHL players, unless you're someone like McDavid.

I also wouldn't harp on Boeser too hard if he doesn't become a substantially faster player even with the help of a skating coach. Horvat is often brought up as an example, but many players have used skating coaches in the past without seeing the kind of drastic improvement that he had.