The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

GB will make the Comets, that's a given. I doubt he doesn't. Would be shocking if he can't crack the Comets roster. There should be an opening or two down there with the departure of Chad Billins and likely promotion of Jordan Subban to the NHL (if anybody is going to give Subban a legit NHL shot it's gonna be Travis Green). Things could obviously change, but that's what my gut says.

7 minutes ago, Quantum said:

GB will make the Comets, that's a given. I doubt he doesn't. Would be shocking if he can't crack the Comets roster. There should be an opening or two down there with the departure of Chad Billins and likely promotion of Jordan Subban to the NHL (if anybody is going to give Subban a legit NHL shot it's gonna be Travis Green). Things could obviously change, but that's what my gut says.

What makes you think that? A big reason Subban hasn't been given a legitimate shot yet could very likely be because of Travis Green. 

I'm sure JB speaks with Green when in need of a call-up and asks who's been looking good recently and deserves a chance. Subban not getting one speaks volumes to Green's influence imo. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Brisebois will no doubt be penciled in to the Utica line-up for now. But he will go the young stars, and to the Canucks main camp, maybe get in an exhibition game or two and go from there to the Utica camp. If he does will, be will play in Utica. But, if his performance is disappointing, he could go to the ECHL or back to Junior for his overage year.  Utica is not a lock. Personally, I am very confident he will be in Utica next season, probably in a top 4 role, but there is no guarantee.

10 hours ago, Quantum said:

Lol.  Sorry champ.  Green was one of the most honest about Subban this year.  

Always very nicely says, he is a great guy and works hard, but has a long way to go to make the bigs.  

I think with Green, Subbans chance just got smaller as coach green knows exactly what he has in Subs

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Always very nicely says, he is a great guy and works hard, but has a long way to go to make the bigs.  

I think with Green, Subbans chance just got smaller as coach green knows exactly what he has in Subs

Canucks should be hiring a good defensive development coach for Utica. Someone that works well with developing D prospects considering how many good D prospects we have down there. Subban, Pedan, McEneny, Brisebois etc

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Canucks should be hiring a good defensive development coach for Utica. Someone that works well with developing D prospects considering how many good D prospects we have down there. Subban, Pedan, McEneny, Brisebois etc

The current d-side coach is Baumgartner and the rumor is Green wants to bring him to Vancouver. Any suggestion that Subban is not progressing because of coaching is a guess. Also true that certain players compliment one another. It is possible that Green will recognize a spot where Subban might succeed in Vancouver.

12 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I'd say his chances aren't any better or worse.

Subban has always been and continues to be a long term, lottery ticket project who has elements of the game to work on to make the NHL. He's been working on those things and improving them.

He should have always been considered a 5 year + project to make the NHL IF he can develop those things. That hasn't changed IMO.

• Upvote 1

He looks so fundamentally solid in every aspect of the game. His skating looks smooth and crisp and he showed that a couple of times with some nice cuts and rushes. He looks like he's very smart and poised both with and without the puck. Can't wait to watch him progress in Utica next year. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

CANUCKS’ TOP 10 PROSPECTS: GUILLAUME BRISEBOIS                             1Canucks’ Top 10 Prospects 2017

Hitting in a third round of any National Hockey League Entry Draft is brutally tough.

It’s among the reasons Nikita Tryamkin’s departure to the KHL hurt so much. The Canucks finally nailed the right pick in a middle round, and ended up losing the player for nothing in return.

But Tryamkin’s parting isn’t all bad. A young man that size doesn’t exit without opening a door. And the gap could be wide enough for one of the Canucks’ developing defencemen to sway into focus.

Enter rangy, mature and smart Guillaume Brisebois. The player taken with the third-round pick acquired in the Eddie Lack trade is no sure thing. But he’s shown enough top-four upside this past season to slot in here at eighth in a rundown of the Canucks’ top 10 prospects.

guillaume-brisebois-b.jpg?quality=60&strip=allVancouver Canucks prospect Guillaume Brisebois.

‘More desperation’

Brisebois took some hits at the Young Stars tournament in September and they weren’t all on the ice.

Vancouver GM Jim Benning basically called him out for being soft, pointing out Brisebois needed “more desperation” and “urgency” in the way he played defence.

This is usually code for a player not being tough enough. It’s true that Brisebois, who measured at nearly 6-3 in the fall after being 6-1 heading into the 2015 draft, did get rolled, or easily outmanoeuvred, by forwards nearly half-a-foot shorter. That was troubling.

guillaume-brisebois-micheal-ferland.jpeg?quality=60&strip=allBrisebois got into a preseason game last September.

At the time, Travis Green suggested Brisebois watch a whole lot of Alex Edler video to figure out how to box players out, especially around the net. It seemed at the time to be some sound advice for a defenceman who was looking really raw.

The good news: Brisebois apparently got the message; because he followed up his Young Stars and training camp experiences with his best season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He kind of broke out offensively and was among the final cuts for Team Canada’s World Junior Championship teams.

Top 10 prospects countdown: Guillaume Brisebois 2:32

Point total jumped

What several scouts like is his point total, which jumped from 26 to 47, but the Canucks seemed most thrilled about his improvement in, um, that urgency.

If Brisebois happens to pan out this season in the pros, some credit will need to go to Vancouver development coach Scott Walker.

2015-nhl-draft-portraits.jpeg?quality=60&strip=allGuillaume Brisebois was selected 66th overall by the Canucks at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

“He did good work with him and he got him playing with more conviction defensively,” Benning said. “We drafted him because we liked his ability to get back and transition the puck up the ice. His overall game, his ability to skate and move the puck up, that is his strength. But he needed to play with more conviction.

“Scott would work with him on the ice in practices and as the year went on, we have seen the conviction in his play improve. You can see it in the way he’s boxing guys out. He’s been more physical.

“The things that he has done well in the past, he’s still doing those things. But he’s playing harder. That will serve him well moving forward.”

Brisebois is one of those prospects who scouts love to point out his character. At 17 years of age, he was named captain of his junior team, Acadie-Bathurst. He was traded last year and wasn’t even with Charlottetown for two months before his new teammates voted him the captain.

So, the leadership qualities are there, but is he physically ready to play in the AHL this season?

“He’ll come to training camp so we’ll see where he’s at, but I would think development-wise, he’ll be playing in Utica,” Benning said. “He needs to keep developing.”

This will be a big season for him in Utica.

GUILLAUME BRISEBOIS

Age: 19 (turns 20 in July, which makes him AHL eligible next season)

Canucks Prospects Ranking: 8

Last season: Final Team Canada cut on their World Junior Championship team. He put up 47 points in 61 games leading the defence on his Charlottetown Islanders.

The skinny: Brisebois apparently grew an inch or two last summer and his game on the ice seemed to grow even more. Brisebois became a legitimate prospect and the Canucks have him earmarked for Utica this fall.

jbotchford@postmedia.com

http://theprovince.com/feature/canucks-top-10-prospects-2017/canucks-top-10-prospects-guillaume-brisebois

Edited by Bigturk8
  • Upvote 4

Good to hear err read ^.  Hope he can make some serious strides in Utica next season and it's always great to draft a player with character and someone who captained their junior team. 

• 1 month later...

Very excited to see this kid develop. He could be one of the steals of the '15 draft if he continues his up trend. 

I don't see him being a big offensive weapon but can see him being a great complimentary player, much like Tanev. To have a third rounder develop into an NHLER would give us a very deep defensive core.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Very excited to see this kid develop. He could be one of the steals of the '15 draft if he continues his up trend. 

I don't see him being a big offensive weapon but can see him being a great complimentary player, much like Tanev. To have a third rounder develop into an NHLER would give us a very deep defensive core.

I agree for sure. I think he'll play a lot like tanev but a little more offensive upside. Really liking this kids progression not to mention he's a captain and obviously has good leadership qualities.

1 hour ago, Nancouver said:

I agree for sure. I think he'll play a lot like tanev but a little more offensive upside. Really liking this kids progression not to mention he's a captain and obviously has good leadership qualities.

If he can gain 15-20 lbs in muscle and give us 20-30 points a season, while maintaining his defensive game, I'd be really happy with him. Be a great partner for Hutton or Stetch.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

If he can gain 15-20 lbs in muscle and give us 20-30 points a season, while maintaining his defensive game, I'd be really happy with him. Be a great partner for Hutton or Stetch.

After 2 years in Utica, I think that projection could be possible ^_^

• Upvote 2