The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade D Seth Jones to Columbus for F Ryan Johansen

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tanev isn't a 1D in this league. Jones is a 1D. 

You can't get 1C for 3D

Jones is not a 1D.  he was a decent top 4 on a stacked defensive team.  He WILL be a top flight D man in his time though no question.  Too young and buried behind Josi Weber etc to break out in Nashville

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No, not really.  Werenski is a teenager and Paliotta is just nearing NHL readiness - what it does is give them a solid top four presently, with depth, a succession plan and the ability to deal with an injury or two (Murray's health has been off thus far in his career). 

I agree. I don't see CBJ in a rush to trade for a Johansen replacement and they would probably have to sell a bit low on Murray ATM. Nor should they give up on their good young D. They spent a good while accumulating these guys. Not to mention dismissing Snow on a (reported) offer of all their draft picks one year for the pick that became Murray.

They are currently tracking to get a 1C in the next draft anyhow.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seriously shocked Poille did this knowing that RyJo has some health and work ethic issues and could walk away at contracts end

Does he?

Last year he came out of the gate like a Tasmanian Devil after signing his bridge contract.  Appears all the various stresses on the relationship started compounding and he tuned out.

In any case, last year showed he has at least HAD the work ethic and capacity. 

Just my opinion; but I believe Seth Jones is absolutely solid. But I don't see his upside becoming a Chris Pronger. I do believe Johansen has more upside.  So I think Nashville will win this trade when we look back in a few years.  But we'll see. I've been wrong before.

30 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Unless I've been puffing the magic dragon. I believe Forsberg is playing LW. But I get what you're saying. 

I think their lines shape up like 

Forsberg-Johansen-Neal

Wilson-Ribeiro-Smith 

Fisher on the third and so on and so on

Correct.  Forsberg has never played centre in Milwaukee or Nashville.  The NHL should change the positions for Forsberg, Wilson and Smith - they are all marked as Cs but all three are wingers.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Jackets end of the deal. 

Its hard to compare a 1d to a 1c but IMO Jones has a better chance of winning a Norris than Ryjo does winning a scoring title down the road.

I think Seth has a much higher ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Jones is not a 1D.  he was a decent top 4 on a stacked defensive team.  He WILL be a top flight D man in his time though no question.  Too young and buried behind Josi Weber etc to break out in Nashville

Yes not yet. He will be. Hes only 21 not many 21 Yr Olds are 1D but I think u got what I was trying to get across. 

Tanev plays on top pair but he's not a top pair D. Hes 2nd pair D and he won't get u a 1C in trade like Jones did. 

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree. I don't see CBJ in a rush to trade for a Johansen replacement and they would probably have to sell a bit low on Murray ATM. Nor should they give up on their good young D. They spent a good while accumulating these guys. Not to mention dismissing Snow on a (reported) offer of all their draft picks one year for the pick that became Murray.

They are currently tracking to get a 1C in the next draft anyhow.

Does he?

Last year he came out of the gate like a Tasmanian Devil after signing his bridge contract.  Appears all the various stresses on the relationship started compounding and he tuned out.

In any case, last year showed he has at least HAD the work ethic and capacity. 

Just my opinion; but I believe Seth Jones is absolutely solid. But I don't see his upside becoming a Chris Pronger. I do believe Johansen has more upside.  So I think Nashville will win this trade when we look back in a few years.  But we'll see. I've been wrong before.

Torts is a lot of things, but not a liar.  he questioned RyJos work ethic and ability to stay healthy/competitive.  Where there's smoke there's fire.  Plus doesn't RyJo have a heart issue?

That is more the issue I am speaking of as after watching Peverly, Dupuis etc leaving the league I am shocked Poille would take that risk

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Torts is a lot of things, but not a liar.  he questioned RyJos work ethic and ability to stay healthy/competitive.  Where there's smoke there's fire.  Plus doesn't RyJo have a heart issue?

That is more the issue I am speaking of as after watching Peverly, Dupuis etc leaving the league I am shocked Poille would take that risk

Liar, perhaps not.

Manic at any given moment with a distorted / warped sense of reality?  And prone to saying (misguided) things in the heat of the moment??? I don't trust Torts as far as I could spit him, regardless of whether he has a point or not.

If Johansen was out of shape at the start of this year; the logical thing to do would be bring him in for a private fitness test. And an action plan behind closed doors. Bring forward the tests from training camp and have a discussion.  Publically calling out his best player in the first week or so of arriving was nothing short of stupid. 

The same accountability can be attained without the scrutiny of camera's and recorders.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Liar, perhaps not.

Manic at any given moment with a distorted / warped sense of reality?  And prone to saying (misguided) things in the heat of the moment??? I don't trust Torts as far as I could spit him, regardless of whether he has a point or not.

If Johansen was out of shape at the start of this year; the logical thing to do would be bring him in for a private fitness test. And an action plan behind closed doors. Bring forward the tests from training camp and have a discussion.  Publically calling out his best player in the first week or so of arriving was nothing short of stupid. 

The same accountability can be attained without the scrutiny of camera's and recorders.

Aren't you a bit surprised RJ returned Jones?  I know I am kind of stunned.

57 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well lucky for CBJ they still received a very good return.

Drew Doughty among others had bad negotiations leading to a minor hold out. He seems just fine.

In the end of that negotiation Doughty signed an 8 year deal in excess of $50 mill.  The following summer, was credited with being in very good shape and maturing his game. They have won a couple of cups since.

There is something to be said for patching things up.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In the end of that negotiation Doughty signed an 8 year deal in excess of $50 mill.  The following summer, was credited with being in very good shape and maturing his game. They have won a couple of cups since.

There is something to be said for patching things up.

You helped make my point. Cheers!:)

There was no way Jones was going to last in Nashville.  They already had Weber and they decided to commit to him.  Once that was settled, so was Jones' fate.  They knew they had Jones' entry-level contract to get a trade done.  Nashville is great at developing defensemen though and Columbus will be grateful for that for years to come. 

Columbus mishandled RyJo this season, lowering his value, and they never thought he was going to be 'the guy', but it's a business and they signed him to that short-term deal regardless.  They had no other top line center getting in the way, so it looked good for the time being.  Now the question is, who is 'the guy' for them up front?

The result is a hockey trade that further balances the league, players-wise, cap-wise, opportunity-wise and entertainment-wise.  Everyone wins.

6 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

There was no way Jones was going to last in Nashville.  They already had Weber and they decided to commit to him.  Once that was settled, so was Jones' fate.  They knew they had Jones' entry-level contract to get a trade done.  Nashville is great at developing defensemen though and Columbus will be grateful for that for years to come. 

Columbus mishandled RyJo this season, lowering his value, and they never thought he was going to be 'the guy', but it's a business and they signed him to that short-term deal regardless.  They had no other top line center getting in the way, so it looked good for the time being.  Now the question is, who is 'the guy' for them up front?

The result is a hockey trade that further balances the league, players-wise, cap-wise, opportunity-wise and entertainment-wise.  Everyone wins.

Uhh webers extension/offer sheer was completed a year before Jones was even drafted

Archived