The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

Vey is not great at anything but has been so so on face offs. For a long time he seemed reluctant to go into the rough areas of play, kind of skating on the outside. The Canucks have never been a great face-off team. I don't understand why all players aren't taught or schooled on face-offs. It is a part of the game that Edmonton used to work on with the whole team. That is why they were difficult to play against for years.

Some one said McCann needs to put some weight on. He sure looks a lot bigger than Vey. Maybe its just the way he plays.

I liked Zalewski's game a lot. Good on faceoffs, wins battles cycles well and good on the boards, hard forecheck,  heavy game and big body which we need and skates very fast plus makes good decisions with and without the puck.

Vey isn't real good at any of the small things needed, is soft as butter offers nothing physically, loses almost all faceoffs or board battles, has sub par speed, brutal at making plays to get the puck out of trouble and not good defensively at all. All I see out of Vey is the odd skilled play but if WD wants to win you use Zalewski over Vey or Cracknell Who Isn't Good At a whole lot either.

Vey is fantastic skater that is getting better each and  every game.  This season is all about development and we need to see what Vey can become.  I say keep playing him heavy minutes.  Lets find out what we have with him.   Would be great to see more of Zalewski as well.  Just got to get rid of Cracknell as he is a career AHL player at the end of his career right now. 

2 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I liked Zalewski's game a lot. Good on faceoffs, wins battles cycles well and good on the boards, hard forecheck,  heavy game and big body which we need and skates very fast plus makes good decisions with and without the puck.

Vey isn't real good at any of the small things needed, is soft as butter offers nothing physically, loses almost all faceoffs or board battles, has sub par speed, brutal at making plays to get the puck out of trouble and not good defensively at all. All I see out of Vey is the odd skilled play but if WD wants to win you use Zalewski over Vey or Cracknell Who Isn't Good At a whole lot either.

His face off percentage is 46.6% in 13 games. If he maintained this pace and played the full season so far, he would be ahead of players such Couturier, H Sedin, Schiefele, Malkin, Ribeiro and Eichel.

Everyone craps on him because he is viewed as the coach's pet. But this season, he is an improved player. Other than one poor play, he has been decent with Etem and Burrows. Not sure why people continue to pile on him except for needing to have a whipping boy.

It's a bit of a stretch to read anything into 2 games from Zalewski but I bet you are willing to overlook his flaws when trying to crap on Vey some more.

Like Peter Frampton sang

"Show Me The Vey "

I wonder how you're feeling
There's ringing in my ears
And no one to relate to 'cept the sea
Who can I believe in?
I'm kneeling on the floor
There has to be a force
Who do I phone?
The stars are out and shining
But all I really want to know

Oh won't you show me the Vey , every day
I want you to show me the Vey , yeah

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Vey is turning into a great Hockey player. How many players have the fans chased in development years. Expect Vey to be a very good hockey player.

Yup.  Love Vey.  I really don't understand why he's not playing on the first line?  

14 hours ago, RonMexico said:

His face off percentage is 46.6% in 13 games. If he maintained this pace and played the full season so far, he would be ahead of players such Couturier, H Sedin, Schiefele, Malkin, Ribeiro and Eichel.

Everyone craps on him because he is viewed as the coach's pet. But this season, he is an improved player. Other than one poor play, he has been decent with Etem and Burrows. Not sure why people continue to pile on him except for needing to have a whipping boy.

It's a bit of a stretch to read anything into 2 games from Zalewski but I bet you are willing to overlook his flaws when trying to crap on Vey some more.

I will start by agreeing with you he is an improved player over last year, and now battles harder and seems more involved.  But all this Vey love for 'some' improvement on here seems a little over the top, when you look at what he has actually accomplished.  Remember his mentor clearly said, 'this is the get it done league, not the try league' or something close to that.  And Vey has not been getting it done, despite again being gifted extra TOI time and powerplay time, and now in the last two games he is killing penalties.

He has a total of 1 goal and 5 assists in 16 games, and only two of those assists are 1st, and one of those is an empty net goal.  That's a yearly pace for about 30 points and only 5 goals, all with a lot of PP time and big minutes.  So why has he been getting all these minutes, sometimes more than our better players, and all this PP time.  To me it's last year all over again, just with a little bit better version of Vey.  

For those of you that will say he earned it, maybe you want to look at his stats.  When he was called up, he was getting about 12 minutes a night, no PP or PK which is about right.  In those first 3 games, he had no shots on goals, no points, and for that, in his 4th game, he is suddenly 'gifted' 16 minutes and big PP times?  Why, how did he earn or deserve it?  By 5 games, he had one 2nd assist, no goals and 1 shot.  This goes along and after 8 games he has a total of 0 goals, 2 secondary assists and 3 shots.

Then Etem joins the team and immediately in that game he plays over 16 minutes and has almost 3 minutes of PP time, [ps  no points and no shots on goals].  Since then it has been the same story big minutes & PP, and during this time many people are saying how much better Vey is this year and what great chemistry he and Etem have.  Did you know that since Etem came to the Canucks, in 8 games Etem as 0 goals and one assist?  Now I actually like a lot of things about Etem, but again, what has he produced, yet he is getting about 15 minutes a night.  He was a healthy scratch for NYR for many games.

Yes Vey appears a better player this year than last, but he still can't translate that into what really matters and that is points.  Just looking at the 'get it done' he isn't and hasn't been getting it done, but like last year, it appears Willy is doing everything he can in gifting him more than he has earn.  In what world should Vey be getting the same or more minutes than Bo and Sven, and some nights more PP time?

Last night I thought Jake was a lot more dangerous than Vey and he got 8 minutes [not suggesting he should be getting 15/16, just a better balance].  Vey is in his 5th year as a pro, 25 in July and should be showing more signs of getting it done.

On 1/24/2016 at 11:35 AM, canuckleheads fan said:

Or more likely, Vey stays on the third line, since that has been our second best line (best if you include +/-) since we acquired Etem.

. . . . . .

How are they possibly our 2nd best line since acquiring Etem?  [Jan 11 2016  -  last 7 games as of your writing].  Lines:  Bo = 14 points; Henrik= 12 points; Vey = 7 points.  And that is with Henrik's line without him and Jannik for 3 games each, otherwise it would be even more lopsided.  Third at best even with all the high ice time.

I won't get into the +/- stats because that can be misleading, depending who you are playing against etc., but lets just say that Vey's line for the 7 games is a total of -5 while Henrik's line is + 9.  So when is -5 better than +9, but you say 'best if you include +/-' ?

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Vey is fantastic skater that is getting better each and  every game.  This season is all about development and we need to see what Vey can become.  I say keep playing him heavy minutes.  Lets find out what we have with him.   Would be great to see more of Zalewski as well.  Just got to get rid of Cracknell as he is a career AHL player at the end of his career right now. 

Vey has been good at staying away from injury. There is no way McCann who needs playing time should be sitting out while Vey plays.

Vey has been alright. More involved in the play than last year. Points are at a 30 point pace over 82 games, which is solid for a 3rd liner centre, weak for a second line centre. IMO he isn't quite good enough to fill a scoring role, and isn't built to be a checker. He is alright as a 13th forward. 50% or better in the dot over his last three games in a row, which is good to see. 

On 2016-01-27 at 3:48 PM, snucks said:

Vey has been good at staying away from injury. There is no way McCann who needs playing time should be sitting out while Vey plays.

Scheduled games off for rookies per Benning back in early December.

On January 7, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Mattrek said:

I get that we have some injuries, but wouldn't it be better to try to bring an AHL guy who deserves a shot with the big league? He's gotten 2 assists and no goals in the 7 games he's played with us. Now that's not anything to scoff at, but that works out to a whopping 12 points for the rest of the year at his current pace. And this comes with him getting valuable power play time and playing with two of the most skilled players on that power play with Baertschi and Horvat. Yet he's got two assists neither of which were real set ups, he was just there and touched the puck.

I've watched him play and every time he has the puck he gets knocked off it immediately. I'm all about guys improving and giving them a chance, but it seems to me this is Wille with his favourite guy again getting opportunities that other players have had to work their asses off for. Maybe I'm missing something? Does his advanced stats show anything? Because the eye test sure doesn't.

We have 4 very good centremen that are capable in McCann, Horvat, Cracknell and Henrik, so he's not here because we need an extra centre and we have much better wingers in the AHL tearing it up who should get a shot. Vey didn't make this team at the beginning for a reason and so far I don't see anything has changed that makes him deserve to be here.

Hank is injured

Anyone remember this one article about WD when he was first named coach? There was this story about how when WD was at uni, he asked his coach if he could give some extra ice time to a teammate that was struggling and that he would be ok if that time came off him. That mentality of making sure everyone feels involved seems to have stuck. Since we're not a contending team, the more playing time young guys get the better, even if it is Vey.

11 hours ago, RyIe said:

Anyone remember this one article about WD when he was first named coach? There was this story about how when WD was at uni, he asked his coach if he could give some extra ice time to a teammate that was struggling and that he would be ok if that time came off him. That mentality of making sure everyone feels involved seems to have stuck. Since we're not a contending team, the more playing time young guys get the better, even if it is Vey.

except it's not less ice time for the vets but less ice time for the other youngsters and I by far prefer watching McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi over former Medicine Hat players.  I still don't get why WillieD felt the need to play Vey on the Horvat-Vrbata line (although not in the last games so maybe he got over that) although last game he did have Etem instead of Baertschi besides Horvat on an O-zone start.

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

6 points in 16 games taking more than a regular shift. 

I consider a 30 point NHLer to be a career AHLer 

For the NHL as a whole, a scoring rate of .375 PPG is a significantly better than average number for a bottom 6 forward. If your 3rd liners are getting .375 PPG you are happy and if your 4th liners are getting .375 PPG you are ecstatic, and they won't be 4th liners for long.

But if a guy can play good defence, contribute to the speed game or the physical game, be a good teammate, and score .375 PPG, he is likely to be in the NHL for a while. Vey has improved his defence so that he can play some PK and does not have to have protected minutes. He is not particularly fast (although he is a decent skater) and does not contribute much to the physical game, so his situation is marginal. He might end up in the AHL next year, but my best guess is that he will be 13th man somewhere in the NHL next year--maybe with the Canucks. 

Just now, JamesB said:

For the NHL as a whole, a scoring rate of .375 PPG is a significantly better than average number for a bottom 6 forward. If your 3rd liners are getting .375 PPG you are happy and if your 4th liners are getting .375 PPG you are ecstatic, and they won't be 4th liners for long.

But if a guy can play good defence, contribute to the speed game or the physical game, be a good teammate, and score .375 PPG, he is likely to be in the NHL for a while. Vey has improved his defence so that he can play some PK and does not have to have protected minutes. He is not particularly fast (although he is a decent skater) and does not contribute much to the physical game, so his situation is marginal. He might end up in the AHL next year, but my best guess is that he will be 13th man somewhere in the NHL next year--maybe with the Canucks. 

I agree that he could be a fourth liner if you only factor offence however his lack of defensive zone skill and size will never allow him to be a complete 4th liner

Archived