The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

Big fan of this trade.

There was a high chance that Niklas Jensen wasn't going to be re-signed this offseason. I believe Emerson Etem will be a solid contributor this team that is transitioning. A future line of Etem/Horvat/Shinkaruk could be intriguing down the line. I like these low risk/high reward trades... especially when it dumps disappointing (to put it lightly) prospects.... whether it be Alex Mallet in the Pedan deal.

The only thing I'm not thrilled by is giving up a 6th rounder. I thought Benning loved picks... why does he keep giving them up hahaha. Let's just hope that 6th rounder is a dud like the Canucks own Mike Williamson and not a Mark Stone type.

Either way, this is a great deal for the Canucks. They win this trade on paper, right now.

The Canucks really need to ink Curtis Valk to that entry deal soon....

(Also, with the open spot in Utica, I assume Curtis Valk will find his way into that lineup considering he's on an AHL deal right now and the fact that since his return to hockey... Valk has 3 points in 2 games with Kalamazoo).

I'm pretty excited about this especially his playoff stats at every level. He brings everything Jensen has skill wise ++ and isn't shy to battle ether. He will mature into a solid 3rd line player for us and maybe more. Where as Jensen couldn't handle a bottom 6 role and can't even do better than .5ppg in the minors. Very little indication there that he was ever going to be an NHL regular. 

To repeat:

Etem with 30.9% offensive zone starts (only Dominic Moore with lower on an AV team that likes to have a D zone start specialized line)

Has a relative corsi of +0.2.   Arguably, outstanding underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=NYR&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Last year in Anaheim, corsi on of +8.31 was the best, bar none on the Ducks.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=ANA&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Epic fail RW.

Here he is with the best underlying numbers of any Duck in the 2013/14 playoffs, by a longshot.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2013_p&f2=5v5&f5=ANA&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Awoke here in Asia, to news of a deal

Seemed Nick had become just, a cog in the wheel

T'was high-time to trade

First glance, it makes grade

Stayin' young, let's just pray it's a steal

This trade is better than that one of Weal.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To repeat:

Etem with 30.9% offensive zone starts (only Dominic Moore with lower on an AV team that likes to have a D zone start specialized line)

Has a relative corsi of +0.2.   Arguably, outstanding underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=NYR&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Last year in Anaheim, corsi on of +8.31 was the best, bar none on the Ducks.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=ANA&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Epic fail RW.

Okay, why did we get him for so low a price?  There must be something going on here, must there?  Why did no other team offer more (anything really, as Jensen is likely to be in Europe next year) than a sixth?  What's up with Etem?  He just sounds too much of a steal.

9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Big fan of this trade.

There was a high chance that Niklas Jensen wasn't going to be re-signed this offseason. I believe Emerson Etem will be a solid contributor this team that is transitioning. A future line of Etem/Horvat/Shinkaruk could be intriguing down the line. I like these low risk/high reward trades... especially when it dumps disappointing (to put it lightly) prospects.... whether it be Alex Mallet in the Pedan deal.

The only thing I'm not thrilled by is giving up a 6th rounder. I thought Benning loved picks... why does he keep giving them up hahaha. Let's just hope that 6th rounder is a dud like the Canucks own Mike Williamson and not a Mark Stone type.

Either way, this is a great deal for the Canucks. They win this trade on paper, right now.

The Canucks really need to ink Curtis Valk to that entry deal soon....

(Also, with the open spot in Utica, I assume Curtis Valk will find his way into that lineup considering he's on an AHL deal right now and the fact that since his return to hockey... Valk has 3 points in 2 games with Kalamazoo).

Finding an NHLer in the 6th round of a draft almost never happens. I'm not gonna worry. I think it's a good trade on our part, if Etem can find his footing.

One thing to consider about Etem is how his trade from Anaheim affected him.

I mean essentially having your home town team draft you had to have been a thrill for him. He seemed to be doing everything right in Anaheim and progressing pretty well from what I could see. And then all of a sudden they dump you out of nowhere. It had to have stung a little.

Just as he was starting to find his game as a young NHLer he's shipped away from his family to the other side of the country. Not only that, he's expected to jump right in and replace what Hagelin brought. That had to have been a bit of a shock for him.

I think Van should be a better fit for him. Less expectations, familiar coach and teammates, and he's close to home.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

One thing to consider about Etem is how his trade from Anaheim affected him.

I mean essentially having your home town team draft you had to have been a thrill for him. He seemed to be doing everything right in Anaheim and progressing pretty well from what I could see. And then all of a sudden they dump you out of nowhere. It had to have stung a little.

Just as he was starting to find his game as a young NHLer he's shipped away from his family to the other side of the country. Not only that, he's expected to jump right in and replace what Hagelin brought. That had to have been a bit of a shock for him.

I think Van should be a better fit for him. Less expectations, familiar coach and teammates, and he's close to home.

I agree, plus not like he was given a great chance in NY either. Sounds like from training camp they could see Etem wasnt a fit with the team or their system.

I just want us to not put pressure on the kid. If he plays a good couple games or scores a goal, lets not say hes gonna be a 30g scorer. Lets just be happy we flipped Jensen for a player who can hopefully play a style of game we will like and do that on the Canucks roster.

If we sent a pick like a 2nd I could see there being more pressure on him to perform

Archived