The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

I really wanted to see the guy get that 20th goal....its too bad that his season is done - kind of sums up the canucks this year with their health issues.

Oh well, the submarine is now in full dive mode now.

Edited by Darius71

What wrist? Not to take anything away from being injured but I remember busting my wrist and completing the season in my young 20's while scoring a my normal rate. (Not the same of course as NHL, just personal experience) but because it wasn't my dominant shooting hand it didn't change my game too much. 

Just saying if it was his stupid hand I wouldn't expect him to turn into the second coming of Naslund after surgery. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A surprisingly complimentary piece from JD Burke (Canucks Army) on Granlund and why the Canucks should prioritize re-signing him: 

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/02/the-canucks-should-prioritize-markus-granlund-this-off-season/

Some key excerpts:

How many players added more value to the Canucks lineup last season than Markus Granlund? If we’re to believe the GAR metric (GoalsAbove Replacement) developed by HockeyData’s Dawson Sprigings, you can count the players on one hand with a pinky to spare.

This next handful of seasons should make the prime of Granlund’s career. If anything, this is the appetizer to a career that should dance on the Canucks’ palate for years to come.

Rare are the investment opportunities at this stage in the Canucks’ lineup more sound than the one Granlund’s situation presents. It’s not a can’t miss proposition, but it’s damn close.

43 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A surprisingly complimentary piece from JD Burke (Canucks Army) on Granlund and why the Canucks should prioritize re-signing him: 

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/02/the-canucks-should-prioritize-markus-granlund-this-off-season/

Some key excerpts:

With Granlund looking good, a hopefully healthy Rodin coming in and Dahlen in the wings (no to mention a potential Kane signing next summer) I still think we see Baer moved this TDL IMO.

• Upvote 1

How lopsided does that trade look now?  My hunch is Shinkaruk doesn't even make the NHL. He'll be playing in Europe in a couple years. 

This could turn out to be one of the better trades in Canucks history if Granlund can be a consistent 20 goal scorer in today's NHL. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

With Granlund looking good, a hopefully healthy Rodin coming in and Dahlen in the wings (no to mention a potential Kane signing next summer) I still think we see Baer moved this TDL IMO.

Could be. Definitely an option that should be comsidered. But I think we'll have to see how the first half plays out. If Baer can build off last season and possibly improve on his 2016-17 per 60 scoring rate (which was best in the team IIRC), it might make more sense to hold on to him and consider moving another piece. Especially if he's proving to be a key component in driving offense on a line with Horvat.

• Upvote 3