The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

On 1/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, terrible.dee said:

HAHAHHA! You are not serious?!?

Most of those pictures are of future Tim Horton's employee of the month

Did you spill hot coffee on yourself?  Just got burned there bud.

(Side note, props to actual Tim's workers for being up bright and early to serve our food and drinks)

96a054c518571eb2a87e1f6c9bd480c4_crop_north.jpg?w=759&h=506&q=75

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, coastal.view said:

well the way i see it

the goalie situation is looked after, has depth and good talent level

so does the defense.. pretty young still .. but looking good.. i'm pretty confident about it

we are in a rebuild/ retool.. and it's not yet done

how about if we let jb draft for offense this year.. then let's assess our the talent pool in the offense

easy to criticize the lack of it presently

since jb said he'd build from the net out

gotta let him finish . or at least do more before we get too uptight about it

he's done a pretty good job so far

i'm curious to watch what he does this off season

i think this draft is critical to the offensive rebuild

he said he is going to keep all his picks..so i assume he'll use them all in the draft :P

I agree with all of your statements, except the part about letting him draft the top line. 

Firstly, we are behind already because the team is getting closer and closer to mid-pack.  So even our best draft pick will be more likely to miss as a top tier player than hit.  Let alone the remaining picks.

Even if we did select a winner, it is highly unlikely the player will be in our roster for at least a couple of years.  Certainly past the time that the Sedins will be around to continue to help us out.  And once they leave, we also have the added issue of trying to replace their production as well.

I really think that we have no choice but to give up some of our rather limited talent in other areas in an effort to bolster the top line.  Likely a good defenseman, or less likely even one of our goalies. 

There's always the UFA route as well which is hit and miss in itself.  Look at Eriksson.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree with all of your statements, except the part about letting him draft the top line. 

Firstly, we are behind already because the team is getting closer and closer to mid-pack.  So even our best draft pick will be more likely to miss as a top tier player than hit.  Let alone the remaining picks.

Even if we did select a winner, it is highly unlikely the player will be in our roster for at least a couple of years.  Certainly past the time that the Sedins will be around to continue to help us out.  And once they leave, we also have the added issue of trying to replace their production as well.

I really think that we have no choice but to give up some of our rather limited talent in other areas in an effort to bolster the top line.  Likely a good defenseman, or less likely even one of our goalies. 

There's always the UFA route as well which is hit and miss in itself.  Look at Eriksson.

i guess people on here have to decide if jb really has special drafting talents or not

if not,

let's not hoard our draft picks but make sensible trades with them

if jb is better than average at drafting

we all know being a top 10 pick is not critical to nhl success

oh , and do not suddenly put the canucks out of reach of a good draft position

just because they have done well recently

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

One of Tanev/Edler + one of Baer/Granlund for an upgrade on wing.

Say what you want about Jared, but he looked great last night against the Canucks and got the primary assist on Florida's only goal,  . . it was an excellent play and pass.  He showed all the things we are looking for: speed, high hockey IQ, work ethic, skill.  The trade is made and he is gone, but I will follow his career with interest because I still feel he will become a highly touted NHL player with a great career.  He's still only 20, but has already grown and listed at 6'1", 198 lbs.

You had to give up something to get something, but my opinion for what we traded, Jared and a high pick for Erik. the jury is still out.  To be fair the sample size of 30 games for Erik on a new team is too small so it will still take more time to fairly evaluate.

1 hour ago, Stormriders said:

Say what you want about Jared, but he looked great last night against the Canucks and got the primary assist on Florida's only goal,  . . it was an excellent play and pass.  He showed all the things we are looking for: speed, high hockey IQ, work ethic, skill.  The trade is made and he is gone, but I will follow his career with interest because I still feel he will become a highly touted NHL player with a great career.  He's still only 20, but has already grown and listed at 6'1", 198 lbs.

You had to give up something to get something, but my opinion for what we traded, Jared and a high pick for Eric is still out.  To be fair the sample size of 30 games on a new team is too small so it will still take more time to fairly evaluate.

I always thought he had the skills and he many times he showed heart standing up for himself against getzlaf etc, I think maroon one time...sometimes he was the only Canuck to do so.

i still think he will be a solid pro in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Stormriders said:

You had to give up something to get something, but my opinion for what we traded, Jared and a high pick for Erik. the jury is still out.  To be fair the sample size of 30 games for Erik on a new team is too small so it will still take more time to fairly evaluate.

I don't think injuries should really count when comparing players, especially if neither player has a long history of injuries. When Gudbranson comes off the injured list so he can actually play games, we might be able to get a better idea at that point.

Even then, this is a trade that really we won't know for at least another couple of years, maybe longer, who actually ended up better. While Gudbranson may be a little older, both players are young and can develop.

The trade was made before both Stetcher's and Tram's outstanding NHL rookie potential was realized and Sbisa becoming one of our top Dmen.

Who knew!!!!!

I think that maybe Benning would maybe rethink that trade knowing what he now has in Stetch,Tram and Sbisa arriving like a gift from God!!!

That being said, top 4 Dmen in this League are very highly coveted in this League

We may not have a true Norris caliber #1 Dman(yet), but #2 thru #7 we are now in the top echelon D corps in the league and with Juolevi in the pipeline

Considering we had Bartkowski and Weber playing full minutes in the lineup last season, Guddy is a massive upgrade!

4 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Yeah it says something when at his young age he's already rebounded from being on their 4th line and demoted to the A.H.L. to be a top-line player last night and to make the play he did (of course injuries to Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjugstad would've factored in to his getting that chance but still the fact that he's taken the opportunity and done what he could with it [4 points in the past 6 games] speaks to the offensive potential he still has).  

In retrospect I hope management here would've sent him to the minors with Jake so the two of them could develop together, potentially forming another solid top-6 pair in for the longer term future (I mean he was a 1st round pick and showed potential already with his shot, and Sven - Bo - Brock?, Rodin - Jared - Jake would've looked very good moving forward, and the likes of Sbisa, Tree, Stecher, etc. were already available on the defensive core to form a solid group, but oh well the trade has been done).

Hope he has a solid future, still think he could top out as a 70-point 1st line guy.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:49 AM, Phil_314 said:

Yeah it says something when at his young age he's already rebounded from being on their 4th line and demoted to the A.H.L. to be a top-line player last night and to make the play he did (of course injuries to Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjugstad would've factored in to his getting that chance but still the fact that he's taken the opportunity and done what he could with it [4 points in the past 6 games] speaks to the offensive potential he still has).  

In retrospect I hope management here would've sent him to the minors with Jake so the two of them could develop together, potentially forming another solid top-6 pair in for the longer term future (I mean he was a 1st round pick and showed potential already with his shot, and Sven - Bo - Brock?, Rodin - Jared - Jake would've looked very good moving forward, and the likes of Sbisa, Tree, Stecher, etc. were already available on the defensive core to form a solid group, but oh well the trade has been done).

Hope he has a solid future, still think he could top out as a 70-point 1st line guy.

I agree.

To be fair though, I don't think anyone expected both Troy and Tree to have such immediate impact... so at the time it did make sense to get a d-man like Gud.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

I agree.

To be fair though, I don't think anyone expected both Troy and Tree to have such immediate impact... so at the time it did make sense to get a d-man like Gud.

Something to think about - does Gudbranson push anyone out of the lineup when healthy? I'm really not sure. Right now an argument can be made that him and Hutton are 6 and 7 on our depth chart. 

JB needs to pull the trigger. If Tanev can stay healthy until the deadline, I just don't see a scenario where he's still a Canuck.

On 2017-01-25 at 6:41 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Something to think about - does Gudbranson push anyone out of the lineup when healthy? I'm really not sure. Right now an argument can be made that him and Hutton are 6 and 7 on our depth chart. 

JB needs to pull the trigger. If Tanev can stay healthy until the deadline, I just don't see a scenario where he's still a Canuck.

Hutton is trade bait. Easily replaceable, but Guddy, a captain type, is not. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hutton is trade bait. Easily replaceable, but Guddy, a captain type, is not. 

Hutton is expansion exempt. That should make him #5 on the smart move meter behind Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson and sbisa. Otherwise you still lose one of them.

24 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Hutton is expansion exempt. That should make him #5 on the smart move meter behind Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson and sbisa. Otherwise you still lose one of them.

This.

By all means that could increase his value/return but that in no way helps us with expansion and would equate to us losing two D when we only need to/should be moving one.

Edler/Tanev would be the most obvious choices to move IMO followed by Sbisa and then Guddy.

Move one of Edler/Tanev along with one of Baer/Granlund for a top 3 forward and pick. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

This.

By all means that could increase his value/return but that in no way helps us with expansion and would equate to us losing two D when we only need to/should be moving one.

Edler/Tanev would be the most obvious choices to move IMO followed by Sbisa and then Guddy.

Move one of Edler/Tanev along with one of Baer/Granlund for a top 3 forward and pick. Problem solved.

Preferably Edler, as he is the closest to hitting the downslope of his career. He doesn't possess any trait or ability that can't be replaced by anyone of the younger defensemen in the corps.

Size/Grit/Physical Play: Tryamkin and Gudbranson are far larger and more aggressive than him. Sbisa has demonstrated his dedication to being a wrecking ball as well, and is smaller than Edler, but brings physicality far more consistently.

Puck-moving: Stecher/Tanev/Sbisa/Tryamkin/eventually Juolevi bring offensive skills on par or better.

Leadership: Gudbranson/Tanev are both equally effective, with Gudbranson possessing more natural "alpha" type characteristics and willingness to defend his teammates.

Big minute munching: All of the players have demonstrated the ability to log big minutes.

Edler still has worth in a trade, that will steadily start declining, and keeping him on the team is essentially a practice in redundancy. Benning has shown other defensemen (Bieksa and Garrison) respect by trading them to teams that give them a greater chance to get a Cup, and I can see Benning offering that same kindness to Edler.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Preferably Edler, as he is the closest to hitting the downslope of his career. He doesn't possess any trait or ability that can't be replaced by anyone of the younger defensemen in the corps.

Size/Grit/Physical Play: Tryamkin and Gudbranson are far larger and more aggressive than him. Sbisa has demonstrated his dedication to being a wrecking ball as well, and is smaller than Edler, but brings physicality far more consistently.

Puck-moving: Stecher/Tanev/Sbisa/Tryamkin/eventually Juolevi bring offensive skills on par or better.

Leadership: Gudbranson/Tanev are both equally effective, with Gudbranson possessing more natural "alpha" type characteristics and willingness to defend his teammates.

Big minute munching: All of the players have demonstrated the ability to log big minutes.

Edler still has worth in a trade, that will steadily start declining, and keeping him on the team is essentially a practice in redundancy. Benning has shown other defensemen (Bieksa and Garrison) respect by trading them to teams that give them a greater chance to get a Cup, and I can see Benning offering that same kindness to Edler.

I tend to agree but largely based on age and far less regarding any perceived 'redundancy'. But there's that NTC so it's also far less likely IMO.

There's also the issue that IMO, Edler-Stetcher is far closer to a legit 1st pairing next year than Sbisa-Tanev...which is what we'd be left with if we move Edler. Given the 'remain competitive' mandate, it would not surprise me at all to see Edler remain and Tanev moved for that reason (and the NTC).

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I tend to agree but largely based on age and far less regarding any perceived 'redundancy'. But there's that NTC so it's also far less likely IMO.

Outside of experience, what does Edler possess that can't essentially be replaced?

The NTC is a bummer for sure, but it makes one question Benning's motives regarding approaching Bieksa and Hamhuis before, but seemingly Edler is off-limits to that?

There's also the issue that IMO, Edler-Stetcher is far closer to a legit 1st pairing next year than Sbisa-Tanev

True, but Edler was given opportunity to take on that role at a point in time, and that same opportunity will be afforded to another player, hopefully sooner than later.

...which is what we'd be left with if we move Edler. Given the 'remain competitive' mandate, it would not surprise me at all to see Edler remain and Tanev moved for that reason (and the NTC).

Where was that mandate yesterday? Ouch. I rue the day Tanev is traded, as having a player like that (injuries and all) is a great facet of a strong defense.

Archived