The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

On December 20, 2016 at 0:26 PM, combover said:

Ha. 

I've been called a lot of things mr sunshine is defiantly my favourite (even if it reeks of sarcasm)

that aside you disagree a team in Vancouver position letting expiring contracts and pending ufas continuously walk for nothing is a bad idea. 

Funny that most think it's great he trades a 5th for Larsen but yet won't get a fifth or better for any expiring contracts who he can then trade those picks for more larsens since it seems he rather have those types of players over a pick. (Both are long shots) 

Mtl got more for prust than bennings got for Mathias Richardson vrbata hamhuis Stanton combined 

phx got more for Scott.

The team needs picks every one knows the odds of making the NHL so the more picks the better the odds. If the farm right now is an indicator of what coming then it looks like a very very dark tunnel. 

Good thing mr sunshine is here.......lol.

Your right we should have made Hamhuis pack his family up mid season for a 5th round pick. 

Or traded Vrbata to absolutely no where because nobody wanted him. 

This year the 2 best trade bait players on our team have spent more time injured than playing (Tanev,Hansen) and their both expansion eligible which further reduces their value. If they are even healthy at the deadline and the only offer out there is an insult to these players would you trade Hansen for a 5th?? and Tanev for a 3rd? Playoff teams wont want damaged goods.

I expect JB will do his job and talk to the other GM's and pull the trigger if a deal makes sense. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, oldnews said:

You were doing ok until you said that - at which point the mr sunshine moniker seems to fit like a glove.

Live in the tunnel if you prefer... Or....have a look at some of the "darkness" that lies ahead lol.

Hate to say it, but I agree with him.  It isn't that we don't have any talent in the system - we do.  It is just that we're relying on that talent to hit and to hit big.  History tells us that is not likely to happen.  Boeser has looked fantastic - but who knows if he will translate his game to the NHL.  Lots of kids have looked great at lower levels, and never managed to put it together.  We REALLY need him to turn into the player we're all hoping he will.

Julolevi hasn't made an impression on me yet in the slightest.  In fact, I'm a little worried but I realize that there is plenty of time for him to develop. 

Demko has looked great at times, but not great at others.  His first year with Utica has been substandard.  And besides that, goaltending hasn't been a concern, so I view having two potential #1's a trade piece more than anything... as long as Benning doesn't pull a Gillis and end up with neither.

So perhaps we have a couple of assets that could help, but some massaging needs to happen and I think we're still short of having enough assets to develop the kind of first line we will need in order to compete for the cup again.

Just now, kloubek said:

Hate to say it, but I agree with him.  It isn't that we don't have any talent in the system - we do.  It is just that we're relying on that talent to hit and to hit big. 

Same for every single team in the NHL.  No guarantees.  Talent in the system is all anyone really has until the prove it at the NHL level.  Nothing particularly dark about this reality in Vancouver.

Something, I think, a lot of posters fail to remember is that a large reason why it seems like our cupboard is bare is due to the fact that we have some young prospects currently playing with the big club. Stecher, Tryamkin, our entire 4th line, etc. could all be playing for Utica right now, but they have all shown that they deserve to be on the Nucks.

Our team is young and will only get better. Add that to who JB & Co will bring in to fill the gaps and we'll be gitty with excitement in a couple of years, just hitting our prime while the currently elite teams are on the decline.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Your right we should have made Hamhuis pack his family up mid season for a 5th round pick. 

Or traded Vrbata to absolutely no where because nobody wanted him. 

This year the 2 best trade bait players on our team have spent more time injured than playing (Tanev,Hansen) and their both expansion eligible which further reduces their value. If they are even healthy at the deadline and the only offer out there is an insult to these players would you trade Hansen for a 5th?? and Tanev for a 3rd? Playoff teams wont want damaged goods.

I expect JB will do his job and talk to the other GM's and pull the trigger if a deal makes sense. 

Rebuilding retooilng what ever you want to call this don't let expiring contacts walk for free time and time again, you talk about a 5th for hamhuis like it's garbage yet I'd bet you say how great it is we got Larsen for a 5th. 

Something is better than nothing. Vrbata and hamhuis were approached a WEEK before the deadline and asked if they would be open to a trade they should have been asked before the season even  started if the team has no intention of resigning them. This year is different with expansion it might increase some players value and it will hurt guys that need protection but expiring contracts should be moved even if it's for a Larsen oops I mean a fifth. 

As for insulting player lol. You mean like sending a player that's not even a problem home (higgins) that's insulting. This managment group has done nothing but insult it players. Vrbata to the third line with plugs and question why he doesn't score ericson same thing. Tryamkin out of shape but played fine in the preseason virtanen who knows what they expect from this kid. 

You can Keep drinking the benning cool aid I choose not to. A winning streak and the fan boys(trolls) flock to the "told you so" .

the team won some games great I like watching them win but a future CUP CONTENDER  should be the goal not a fringe playoff team with expiring contracts/pending ufas regardless of who they are or if it's a hardship on there mutli millionaire families. 

7 minutes ago, combover said:

Rebuilding retooilng what ever you want to call this don't let expiring contacts walk for free time and time again, you talk about a 5th for hamhuis like it's garbage yet I'd bet you say how great it is we got Larsen for a 5th. 

Something is better than nothing. Vrbata and hamhuis were approached a WEEK before the deadline and asked if they would be open to a trade they should have been asked before the season even  started if the team has no intention of resigning them. This year is different with expansion it might increase some players value and it will hurt guys that need protection but expiring contracts should be moved even if it's for a Larsen oops I mean a fifth. 

As for insulting player lol. You mean like sending a player that's not even a problem home (higgins) that's insulting. This managment group has done nothing but insult it players. Vrbata to the third line with plugs and question why he doesn't score ericson same thing. Tryamkin out of shape but played fine in the preseason virtanen who knows what they expect from this kid. 

You can Keep drinking the benning cool aid I choose not to. A winning streak and the fan boys(trolls) flock to the "told you so" .

the team won some games great I like watching them win but a future CUP CONTENDER  should be the goal not a fringe playoff team with expiring contracts/pending ufas regardless of who they are or if it's a hardship on there mutli millionaire families. 

Wow thats a whole lot of assumptions there bud. Your building so many straw men who are you trying to fool? I think your only making a fool of yourself. Seriously get off your horse.

screen-shot-2016-02-05-at-9-19-30-pm.png

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Same for every single team in the NHL.  No guarantees.  Talent in the system is all anyone really has until the prove it at the NHL level.  Nothing particularly dark about this reality in Vancouver.

Well of course there are no guarantees for any team.  But if you look at our prospect pool, the amount of players we have which likely have potential as high impact players is low.   In particular, as it pertains to top forward players.  In addition to that, we are virtually void of a first line even right now as it is.  At least if a team has a first line that isn't too old, they can count on that line to help carry them through for years as long as they can be convinced to re-sign.  (Much like we did when the Sedins were elite players).  So then a GM only has to look for 2nd through 4th line players, and that's something that is far easier to do.  And, for the record, Benning has already put together a fine set of COMPLIMENTARY forward lines.

It's the top end talent that is our problem.  If Boeser misses, and assuming Horvat is an elite 2nd line center as I think he will be, then we are left with Demko, Virtanen and Juolevi to all hit the potential of the players we hoped they would be in order to have enough either talent to either play on our top line, or to trade in return for players to play on the top line.  (Or one, two, or three of those guys slot into our lineup, and we get rid of roster players to acquire that first line talent.  Either way). 

That doesn't sit well with me, because the chances of all three becoming stars is slim and at this point I'm not sure Virtanen will ever amount to more than an elite 3rd liner by himself.  So besides Juolevi and Demko (who knows what we have with either), we don't have any other players who project to be the star power we need to move for a good return.  Sure, players like Subban and Cassels and Lockwood who have an outside chance of making the NHL, but the reality is that none of them will likely turn into a player which can even significantly increase the value of an important package trade.

Add to all this the fact that - while I believe the Sedins may very well be willing to re-sign with us for a year or two - once they leave our scoring threat gets even lower... which emphasizes our need for a solid 1st line that much greater.  I'd really love to see us contend for the cup again before they leave.  They certainly deserve it.

On 1/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, oldnews said:

You were doing ok until you said that - at which point the mr sunshine moniker seems to fit like a glove.

Live in the tunnel if you prefer... Or....have a look at some of the "darkness" that lies ahead lol.

Image result for brock boeser

Image result for thatcher demko

Image result for olli juolevi

HAHAHHA! You are not serious?!?

Most of those pictures are of future Tim Horton's employee of the month

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I hope he fails as a panther. He was a terrible teammate with us from all accounts. 

Obviously didn't have that championship mentality that the Canucks are synonymous for eh?

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:08 AM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I hope he fails as a panther. He was a terrible teammate with us from all accounts. 

Canner played last night against the Devils. Appeared to be a regular shift as the Panthers have a lot of injuries. He looked bigger and had some good scoring ops. Seemed very tentative in his play however.

On 10/01/2017 at 7:43 AM, terrible.dee said:

is there some reason you are filibustering? Most of what you say is easily proved to be BS

My background in law trained me to spot those trying to deflect the truth. and you are a flashing red light

What's your deal? are you on the payroll or something?

Your background in law?? From your response didn't teach you much.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, terrible.dee said:

HAHAHHA! You are not serious?!?

Most of those pictures are of future Tim Horton's employee of the month

Listen. just because you won it last month, doesn't mean others can't. Now shut yer trap and get me a double double, ya chucklehead.

On 2017-01-09 at 3:08 PM, kloubek said:

Well of course there are no guarantees for any team.  But if you look at our prospect pool, the amount of players we have which likely have potential as high impact players is low.   In particular, as it pertains to top forward players.  In addition to that, we are virtually void of a first line even right now as it is.  At least if a team has a first line that isn't too old, they can count on that line to help carry them through for years as long as they can be convinced to re-sign.  (Much like we did when the Sedins were elite players).  So then a GM only has to look for 2nd through 4th line players, and that's something that is far easier to do.  And, for the record, Benning has already put together a fine set of COMPLIMENTARY forward lines.

It's the top end talent that is our problem.  If Boeser misses, and assuming Horvat is an elite 2nd line center as I think he will be, then we are left with Demko, Virtanen and Juolevi to all hit the potential of the players we hoped they would be in order to have enough either talent to either play on our top line, or to trade in return for players to play on the top line.  (Or one, two, or three of those guys slot into our lineup, and we get rid of roster players to acquire that first line talent.  Either way). 

That doesn't sit well with me, because the chances of all three becoming stars is slim and at this point I'm not sure Virtanen will ever amount to more than an elite 3rd liner by himself.  So besides Juolevi and Demko (who knows what we have with either), we don't have any other players who project to be the star power we need to move for a good return.  Sure, players like Subban and Cassels and Lockwood who have an outside chance of making the NHL, but the reality is that none of them will likely turn into a player which can even significantly increase the value of an important package trade.

Add to all this the fact that - while I believe the Sedins may very well be willing to re-sign with us for a year or two - once they leave our scoring threat gets even lower... which emphasizes our need for a solid 1st line that much greater.  I'd really love to see us contend for the cup again before they leave.  They certainly deserve it.

well the way i see it

the goalie situation is looked after, has depth and good talent level

so does the defense.. pretty young still .. but looking good.. i'm pretty confident about it

we are in a rebuild/ retool.. and it's not yet done

how about if we let jb draft for offense this year.. then let's assess our the talent pool in the offense

easy to criticize the lack of it presently

since jb said he'd build from the net out

gotta let him finish . or at least do more before we get too uptight about it

he's done a pretty good job so far

i'm curious to watch what he does this off season

i think this draft is critical to the offensive rebuild

he said he is going to keep all his picks..so i assume he'll use them all in the draft :P

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well the way i see it

the goalie situation is looked after, has depth and good talent level

so does the defense.. pretty young still .. but looking good.. i'm pretty confident about it

we are in a rebuild/ retool.. and it's not yet done

how about if we let jb draft for offense this year.. then let's assess our the talent pool in the offense

easy to criticize the lack of it presently

since jb said he'd build from the net out

gotta let him finish . or at least do more before we get too uptight about it

he's done a pretty good job so far

i'm curious to watch what he does this off season

i think this draft is critical to the offensive rebuild

he said he is going to keep all his picks..so i assume he'll use them all in the draft :P

How many more years do you give JB to show his new core group?  You think his new core will compete with the other rebuilding teams' new cores?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many more years do you give JB to show his new core group?  You think his new core will compete with the other rebuilding teams' new cores?  

well alf

he drafted dmen

a goalie

they both take longer to develop

he draft offense, but traded mccann away to shore up the defense

boeser is not yet ready

nor is virt

but they will develop more quickly (if history is any guide) than the goalies or dmen

bo is doing quite nicely

baer is quite good

granlund is a pleasant surprise

but a rebuilid will take 5 years

jb is here now for 3

so i'm gonna give him another 2

cuz there are only so many draft picks allotted to each team each year

and it is fairly obvious that unless there is a dman who simply cannot be passed over

jb is gonna draft offense this next draft

we'll see 2 - 5 very interesting new prospects with pretty decent offensive potential

not all will make the nhl

would be great if 1/2 did . that would be beating the odds

but i see new blood coming

so yeah. . sucks. .but it takes time

so just have to hang in there and wait

for jb to have enough time to finish the job he started

Archived