The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

There is an article on the score website about Adam Larsson who is also 22 and is starting to find his game after lots of up and downs to start his pro career, and the reason for his recent success he credits a better mental outlook and more confidence. If its a similar case with baertschi which it could be from the things that Burke was saying about him, he might be quite the steal.

I was playing last night and it dawned on me that one of my teammates was the trainer for the Abbostford Heat so I asked him about SB. His forst response was he couldn't believe that Calgary let him walk at all, even moe shocked that all it took was a second. He said when SB turns it on he's the best player in the AHL by a long shot. He thinks if the Canucks give him an offensive role he could be a star in the NHL.

It is indeed a small price for such a high ceiling. I'm kind of surprised no other team offered more if he was on the block. Perhaps it was a new GM mistake on Calgary's part?

Thanks Stawns.

Very interesting comment.

Never really liked Burke. More bluster than not. He has set the GM's in Calgary to take the fall if need be. Bad mouthing a player on the way out does no one any good. You have to think that his value was depreciated because of it. SB is getting a lot of good press but that is usual for a acquisition. His initial games in Utica have been great.

I will join the accolades by simply saying when he first broke in with the Flamers he was a deadly offensive threat from the start. One would think that his d-zone coverage has been refined with his AHL time. If the Canucks make playoffs he might get a call based on injury but failing that Utica can take a long Calder CUP run.

Training camp next fall should be fascinating.

• Upvote 1

I was playing last night and it dawned on me that one of my teammates was the trainer for the Abbostford Heat so I asked him about SB. His forst response was he couldn't believe that Calgary let him walk at all, even moe shocked that all it took was a second. He said when SB turns it on he's the best player in the AHL by a long shot. He thinks if the Canucks give him an offensive role he could be a star in the NHL.

Nice, yeah I was shocked when I found out we got him. I remember when he scored those 3 goals in his first 5 NHL games or w.e and thinking he was going to be a canuck killer for years. Glad he's on our side now.

Does Utica play today?

Thanks Stawns.

Very interesting comment.

Never really liked Burke. More bluster than not. He has set the GM's in Calgary to take the fall if need be. Bad mouthing a player on the way out does no one any good. You have to think that his value was depreciated because of it. SB is getting a lot of good press but that is usual for a acquisition. His initial games in Utica have been great.

I will join the accolades by simply saying when he first broke in with the Flamers he was a deadly offensive threat from the start. One would think that his d-zone coverage has been refined with his AHL time. If the Canucks make playoffs he might get a call based on injury but failing that Utica can take a long Calder CUP run.

Training camp next fall should be fascinating.

It was the first time we've played since the deadline so I was anxious to find out what he thought. He said SB has elite vision on the ice and if they put him with a sniper, ala Vrbata, that he's most likely going to light it up. Didn't seem to any reservations about his all around game either......good at both ends of the rink.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing to think that Burke could completely ride Baertschi's trade value into the ground but pay two 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel at the same age.

well, to be fair, he also rode kessel's trade value into the ground before he left for cgy too...

Thanks for this, that was really interesting!

I would assume it'd be

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata when he makes the team next year?

It is indeed a small price for such a high ceiling. I'm kind of surprised no other team offered more if he was on the block. Perhaps it was a new GM mistake on Calgary's part?

It does indeed make you wonder..I hope that Sven succeeds for the Canucks,but I also realize that the Flames gave up on him for a reason...I was actually surprised that Benning targeted a smaller skill forward at the deadline (remember he let Schroeder walk for nothing),but he would definitely look like a genius if Sven pans out.

It does indeed make you wonder..I hope that Sven succeeds for the Canucks,but I also realize that the Flames gave up on him for a reason...I was actually surprised that Benning targeted a smaller skill forward at the deadline (remember he let Schroeder walk for nothing),but he would definitely look like a genius if Sven pans out.

Baertschi is a bigger man than Schroeder. I know 3 inches and 15 pounds is not a lot, but at 5-11 190lbs Baertschi is average size for a forward.

Also, JB traded for Cory Conacher....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/sven-baertschi

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/jordan-schroeder

I'm not at all worried about someone at 190 lbs........especially someone under 6ft. That's an inch smaller and two lbs lighter than Dorsett

Edited by stawns

Hope you're right. Calgary is one of my most disliked teams lol. Would be pure comedy reading flame fans comments if SB lights it up. Specifically against them. At first glance the trade seems bad for Calgary. Second glance a little more reasonable. Third glance you have to wonder why Calgary would take such a risk making this kind of deal with Vancouver of all places. Big mistake to take a risk like this with a rival. In the end it's a win/win situation for us. Edited by Special Ed