The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he's got to play a heavy, hard, straight line, hard to play against game - consistently.  If he doesn't, he's not an NHL player.  If he does, he will be a valuable middle six forward.  I'm betting he pushes his way onto our opening night line-up, because he gets how he needs to play to be an NHL player. 

I think you are right Alf, he needs to up the physicality but if you have watched some of the many videos on Gaunce you see he has a middle six hockey IQ. 

His positioning, passing, and anticipation are all top notch. He has to be able to protect the puck and move opponents off it in order to show his other skills off though.

I saw signs of it as the season tailed off and he got more games under his belt, hopefully he will pick up where he left off because I am not too keen on Granlund so far.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If it's a team that's close to winning the cup Hansen would be a very valuable top 9 piece.

I doubt there would be many players as versatile as Hansen available out there. 

And players don't take liberties with him because he has a hell of a temper when roused.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I think you are right Alf, he needs to up the physicality but if you have watched some of the many videos on Gaunce you see he has a middle six hockey IQ. 

His positioning, passing, and anticipation are all top notch. He has to be able to protect the puck and move opponents off it in order to show his other skills off though.

I saw signs of it as the season tailed off and he got more games under his belt, hopefully he will pick up where he left off because I am not too keen on Granlund so far.

I really like Gaunce's leadership qualities too.  I wonder if he could mold his game into a Manny Malholtra type role?  

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On August 4, 2016 at 2:52 AM, DeNiro said:

If it's a team that's close to winning the cup Hansen would be a very valuable top 9 piece.

I doubt there would be many players as versatile as Hansen available out there. 

Hansen is our most valuable trade asset this year... That won't take away essential depth from the org. We cannot fully replace what he brings immediately, but we do have players that can take his minutes. 

Unlike losing Tanev, who would have the most value, but create the largest hole on the roster.

*****Unless there is some hockey trade to be made for Shattenkirk (sign and trade)?  Hansen, Tanev and a second for Shattenkirk?Dreaming, but we would get offence from our defence with Shats;) in the line up.*****

I think Hansen is gone this year.  We have young guys pushing for spots.  We would get great return for him, hopefully with packaged either Sbisa or Edler for a great return. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hansen is our most valuable trade asset this year... That won't take away essential depth from the org. We cannot fully replace what he brings immediately, but we do have players that can take his minutes. 

Unlike losing Tanev, who would have the most value, but create the largest hole on the roster.

*****Unless there is some hockey trade to be made for Shattenkirk (sign and trade)?  Hansen, Tanev and a second for Shattenkirk?Dreaming, but we would get offence from our defence with Shats;) in the line up.*****

I think Hansen is gone this year.  We have young guys pushing for spots.  We would get great return for him, hopefully with packaged either Sbisa or Edler for a great return. 

No. Shattenkirk did nothing for the Blues in the playoffs last year. No thank you.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He's still got 2 years left. At the earliest, they move him next TDL IMO.  And I'd not be opposed to a re-sign if the dollars/term make sense.

Edited by J.R.

On 7/26/2016 at 10:53 PM, Freeridebc said:

I think he almost has too at this point. This year should be career defining for him, he's either capped out, or he's just starting to blossom. 

I was just about to post something similar to this. As I see it, we have three players in our system that have done about as much as they can in Utica and Gaunce is one of them (Grenier and Pedan are the other two, maybe Subban being another ). It's time for him to get his shot. There are spots open or could be made available for him. I think it's time for him to put up or shut up. Find out if he's a keeper or someone who needs a change of scenery. 

Edited by komodo0921
  • Upvote 1

Fully in favour of Gaunce making the team this year. He needs a good look to determine if he is worth protecting in the Expansion Draft. 

I think he could really be a coaches player and a WD favourite by the end of this season. If he can be effective in the dot, I see no reason not to play him in the bottom six as a center. 

If Gaunce can emerge as a legit NHL center, Sutter could play as right wing on the 1st or 2nd line. This might offer better top six depth.  A Horvat,  Baer Sutter line would be a hell of second line. 

My two bits. EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
Using an I phone on the way to a 911 call.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Fully in favour of Guance making the team this year. He needs a good look to determine if he is worth protecting in the Expansion Draft. 

I think he could really be a coaches player and a WD favourite by he end of this season. If ha can be effective in the dot, I see no reason not to play him in the bottom six as a center. 

If Gaunce can emerge as a legit NHL center, Sutter could play as right wing on the 1st or 2nd line. This might offer better top six depth and a Horvat Baer Sutter line would be a hell of second line. 

My two bits. EW

Salivating at the thought of a  developed Baer Horvat and Sutter line...

Killer combo of Grit, speed, and skill...

16 hours ago, J.R. said:

Guance is likely in Utica regardless of signing Hudler or any other UFA.

I'm hoping I'm right?  I believe Gaunce will make the team out of camp!

If not directly out of camp. He will at least play the substantive part of the season, 35 to 55 games, in the NHL. 

He looked capable in call ups at the end of the year. And polished in the AHL.  He might need someone injured. Or out of form. But we can expect that.

I have him behind Hank, Sutter, Bo and Granlund.  But a 5th C should be on the roster. No question. And he's a better match up body than Granlund. Suited to a stereotypical 4th line C role at least in body make up.  I'm hoping Burrows gets in his ear?  Teaches Brendan to play a little nastier. Compete that much harder for every puck. No reservations or prisoners. Come over the boards hell bent on chasing down every puck.  Gaunce is the 5th C IMO. 

He'll make the team IMO. Its just a question of how much desperation he plays with > which will determine how effective he will be...

Edited by Canuck Surfer

22 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I was just about to post something similar to this. As I see it, we have three players in our system that have done about as much as they can in Utica and Gaunce is one of them (Grenier and Pedan are the other two, maybe Subban being another ). It's time for him to get his shot. There are spots open or could be made available for him. I think it's time for him to put up or shut up. Find out if he's a keeper or someone who needs a change of scenery. 

Agree with you except for Subban. Benning did not do anything foolish like sign Hudler so Gaunce should get his chance.