The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Agreed except for bo

In all honesty what was the hurry? What would he have missed? 6 playoff games? He would also have a fresh ELC if we woulda kept him back

11 hours ago, clam linguine said:

I don't think we have the weakest D pool in the league...and if we did...that's where UFAs and trades come in.  I think there is a good chance we will be able to tell who the better pick was.  If not...its a push...simple.  If it isn't painfully obvious, I will be happy.

The last time a top Dman in their prime went to free agency was Chara, ten years ago. When is the last time a potential top 2 Dman got aquired in a trade without an obnoxious asking price? You get defence through drafting. That's really the only way. I've only watched Joulevi during the WJC but he made Laine and Pulijarvi better. He'll do that in Van too.  Guys like Tkachuk, those are the ones who get scooped during free agency.   

Edited by MickVega
Forgot about Ryan Suter
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I am absolutely butt hurt that we missed out on MT...how much clearer can I make it.... lol.   I predict you will be too... maybe in 4 or 5 months.   Think Corey Perry....and I am outta here....:)

I like MT alot aswell but thats not what we needed at this time. Olli is exactly what we needed and again I think he will be a top dman for us which is exactly what we needed.

If we had the 6th pick also we could have taken him but thats life and they decided to address defense which in my opinion was the right move.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I am absolutely butt hurt that we missed out on MT...how much clearer can I make it.... lol.   I predict you will be too... maybe in 4 or 5 months.   Think Corey Perry....and I am outta here....:)

Tkachuk is a great prospect with A+ hockey sense as well. Juolevi wins the tie because he's a Dman who is harder to find,  and he's a much better skater. Look how much Provorov is worth right now. Their pedigrees are about the same so far, so I don't see why your freaking out. Tkachuk has been great but has had Marner, Mathews and Davorak as linemates the last year. Juolevi was arguably the best Dman as an underager at the WJC.  Juolevi and Hutton as your top 2 left Dmen in the future gets me excited. 

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2016 at 5:01 PM, Green Building said:

This guy will fit in quite nicely with the bruisers we have in place already. His smooth skating and crisp passes will be a good compliment toward balancing out what we already (hopefully) have in Hutton, Tryamkin, Tanev, and Gudbranson. Assuming, of course, that they're all still here when Juolevi makes the team. 

It's a safe pick, and I wanted a top defenceman in this draft so I got my wish. 

I feel like he's the kind of player who makes everyone else on the ice with him better.  As much as I wanted Tkachuk, I never felt that way about him..........I think oj is going to be great for virtanen

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I wanted Tkachuk as well....but after rationalizing it and letting it process,the Juolevi pick does make a lot of sense...You build your team on D,and up the middle...and as enticing as Matt Tkachuk is,I think this was the correct decision..The game is becoming more predicated on speed and transition,and that's what Juolevi is all about. 

• Upvote 3

Wasn't Keith an ahole? Stories of trashing hotel rooms, skipping out on fund raiser and public events etc. I don't know much about his kid but usually the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Maybe there were character issues. If so, cowtown should be a nice fit, here he may have 'Shane Obrien'd' his way out...

Edited by Realtor Rod

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

Wasn't Keith an ahole? Stories of trashing hotel rooms, skipping out on fund raiser and public events etc. I don't know much about his kid but usually the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Maybe there were character issues. If so, cowtown should be a nice fit, here he may have 'Shane Obrien'd' his way out...

Not true. My Dad drank heavily and smoked. I drink on occasion and don't smoke. I learned from the mistakes of my parents. As much as I loved my Dad he had flaws as much as the next guy. I made mistakes too, but sometimes parents can be a good bad example. The only thing you can't change is your genetics. 

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not true. My Dad drank heavily and smoked. I drink on occasion and don't smoke. I learned from the mistakes of my parents. As much as I loved my Dad he had flaws as much as the next guy. I made mistakes too, but sometimes parents can be a good bad example. The only thing you can't change is your genetics. 

I don't think drinking and smoking is something that is hereditary, but character kind of is. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was referring to character which I think travels more closely than food preferences etc.

On 6/24/2016 at 8:00 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This seems to be the type of pick that underwhelms at first, but the more you think about it, and what it means for our franchise, the happier you are about it.

Almost like Hampus Lindholm for the Ducks. When he was drafted I was joking around with a Ducks fan and we were both like "but the Ducks got Lindholm GOAT"...well, he is turning into a tremendous d-man, and I hope the same Juolevi.

57 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I don't think drinking and smoking is something that is hereditary, but character kind of is. 

I think there is a genetic predisposition to it though, such as becoming easily addicted to vices.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, clam linguine said:

I quoted the CDC stats because the 97% of those that were hoping not to pick OJ seem to have vanished.  OJ is a blue chip prospect but odds are he will not be a blue chip (all star) defenceman...so sayeth me.   Whats wrong with being upset because we missed out on a better player?  I hope I am wrong.

Being upset is one thing, it's another to proclaim one the better player than the other at this point.

For instance, my concern with Tkachuk is that he's more likely to hit his middle potential than get close to his ceiling. He's at least safe from busting for the most part, but I think Juolevi has a greater chance of becoming a top end player (not even talking about elite or #1, just a very good player who leads on the ice with his play) near his projected ceiling than Tkachuk. I see Tkachuk as most likely a middle 6 winger considering concerns over his speed and if he can create offence for himself, where I see Juolevi as a top 4 defenceman considering his poise and hockey IQ.

So, not only has Juolevi been my choice all leading up to the draft (with Sergachev as my dark horse, really hope we didn't miss something in him), but he's still my choice now considering from both a BPA perspective and organizational need.

4 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Being upset is one thing, it's another to proclaim one the better player than the other at this point.

For instance, my concern with Tkachuk is that he's more likely to hit his middle potential than get close to his ceiling. He's at least safe from busting for the most part, but I think Juolevi has a greater chance of becoming a top end player (not even talking about elite or #1, just a very good player who leads on the ice with his play) near his projected ceiling than Tkachuk. I see Tkachuk as most likely a middle 6 winger considering concerns over his speed and if he can create offence for himself, where I see Juolevi as a top 4 defenceman considering his poise and hockey IQ.

So, not only has Juolevi been my choice all leading up to the draft (with Sergachev as my dark horse, really hope we didn't miss something in him), but he's still my choice now considering from both a BPA perspective and organizational need.

It just seems like he is a little more safe than sergachev while still holding that coveted top pairing potential.  I was a sergachev supporter pre-draft but this pick makes more sense at #5.

3 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

It just seems like he is a little more safe than sergachev while still holding that coveted top pairing potential.  I was a sergachev supporter pre-draft but this pick makes more sense at #5.

Absolutely. I totally agree with Juolevi being safer but with a top level ceiling and the right pick at #5. To that extent, Tkachuk would probably have been safer still, but with less reward potential in my opinion. Sergachev though I think has even a little higher potential but is riskier due to not being as polished as early - what a development curve this past year in junior though...

Edited by elvis15

13 hours ago, stawns said:

I feel like he's the kind of player who makes everyone else on the ice with him better.  As much as I wanted Tkachuk, I never felt that way about him..........I think oj is going to be great for virtanen

does-my-eyes-l5dmzt.jpg

:P

3 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Instead of us worrying about why we didn't draft tkachuck....lets just sign what he's most likely to become......kyle okposo! 

Tkachuk was my #2 choice ( Dubois 1st,Juolevi was 3rd).....and I think he's going to be a great player...EDM/CAL/VAN games should be pretty interesting in the next decade.

Isn't Jake Virtanen our Tkachuk..?

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Tkachuk was my #2 choice ( Dubois 1st,Juolevi was 3rd).....and I think he's going to be a great player...EDM/CAL/VAN games should be pretty interesting in the next decade.

Isn't Jake Virtanen our Tkachuk..?

Don't forget we have Brock Boeser too, if Boeser were to enter this draft some said he would be drafted top 5 as well.