The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

56 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

No need to rush OJ he will be a cornerstone piece (if not traded for one) in the future.. I could see this year and next in junior followed by 3-4 years in the AHL honing his game against adults before the Canucks bring him up full time.

You're saying he's 6 years away from being full time?

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

No need to rush OJ he will be a cornerstone piece (if not traded for one) in the future.. I could see this year and next in junior followed by 3-4 years in the AHL honing his game against adults before the Canucks bring him up full time.

You're crazy man.   

He will be on the team next season.  

No way he does 2 more years of JR, let alone another 3-4 years in the A after that.  

Hahahahah

• Upvote 1

Imo the only thing holding back OJ is physical maturity, he has the skills/smarts to keep up to the NHL game but his body is simply not ready for 210 pound guys crushing him night after night.

IF he can put on 15-20 pounds between this time and next year he will be on the top 4 for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, logic said:

Imo the only thing holding back OJ is physical maturity, he has the skills/smarts to keep up to the NHL game but his body is simply not ready for 210 pound guys crushing him night after night.

IF he can put on 15-20 pounds between this time and next year he will be on the top 4 for sure.

Nick lidstrom made his ,living being at 6'2 190lbs his entire career.  

• Upvote 1

Are Juolevi's options for the upcoming season only with the Canucks or with the London Knights? 

Is he unable to play in the AHL because he was draft out of the CHL?  Or can he sent to Utica as he is also a product of Jokerit development program?

Any chance he may be sent to play for Jokerit instead of the OHL?  IMO, probably better to play in the 2nd best league in the world and against men, rather than against teenagers. 

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Are Juolevi's options for the upcoming season only with the Canucks or with the London Knights? 

Is he unable to play in the AHL because he was draft out of the CHL?  Or can he sent to Utica as he is also a product of Jokerit development program?

Any chance he may be sent to play for Jokerit instead of the OHL?  IMO, probably better to play in the 2nd best league in the world and against men, rather than against teenagers. 

It's been discussed at length and the final determination was that Juolevi is ineligible for the AHL this year and must follow the standard 20 yo/4 seasons played eligibility rules.

I also think the best place for him this year is in London; they have a great development track record, they're contenders year in and year out, and he'll be the guy depended on in all situations. Just my 2¢.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how many years it will take him to put on the muscle needed to play in the NHL?  

1-2 years baring any major injuries. I could see him making the team next year out of camp. He will get 9 games next year and based on that and how things shake out with the expansion draft, he should be with the big club. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2016 at 11:38 AM, Ronaldoescobar said:

The Red Wings website is thataway ================================>

• Upvote 2

At the draft, I was saying that if we were taking a defenseman, it should be Sergachev. While Sergachev still does have a very high ceiling, Juolevi has really opened my eyes to his potential as well. I knew that he had the higher hockey IQ and that he would be an NHL player, but I didn't see the same physical traits that Sergachev or even Chychrun had to truly dominate games at both ends of the rink. After watching him now, it's obvious how effective and efficient he is in a quiet way with his hockey sense, in addition to his better-than-I-expected skating and wrist shot. He definitely has #1D potential, and possibly has the highest odds of reaching out of those previously perceived top-3 defenseman.

With that said, his home this year should be in London. Let him add some more physical tools in a safe, proven environment. If he is eligible for Utica in the 2017-18 season, then he should be there, splitting time with Vancouver as well. If he is not Utica eligible in 2017-18, it will make things very interesting. Does anyone know for certain when he is eligible for the AHL?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how many years it will take him to put on the muscle needed to play in the NHL?  

it depends. if he puts on some serious muscle this upcoming season in london. he's going to have a very good chance at making the roster next year. if his game is still not ready then he will be eligible to go down to the AHL for some more professional seasoning. 

Imo OJ will line up w/Tanev starting next yr.

If we're not in the race at the TDL...Edler will be the name most coveted around the league, and should bring a great return.

I expect him to have a great/consistent year without having to be the "guy" on canucks backline.

56 minutes ago, nickels said:

If we're not in the race at the TDL...Edler will be the name most coveted around the league, and should bring a great return.

I expect him to have a great/consistent year without having to be the "guy" on canucks backline.

all good except Edler has repeatedly said he isn't going to waive. he loves Van too much. he doesn't wanna move. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

all good except Edler has repeatedly said he isn't going to waive. he loves Van too much. he doesn't wanna move. 

has he really, though? here are the quotes I can find:

"In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you." -july 2014

"Alex Edler told me you don’t sign a 6-year deal with a NTC so you can leave town shortly after #canucks Don’t think he’d waive."

— Dan Murphy (@sportsnetmurph)March 5, 2014

source and date are obvious. 

so we have a second hand (though reliable) quote via vancouver media and that media member's inference that edler wouldn't agree to be traded during the first year of his 6 year contract extension. 

and we have a quote directly from the player, 4 months later, that implies, at the very least, that he would think about it, and from my perspective, that he wouldn't want to play for a team that asked him to waive. 

7 hours ago, nickels said:

I doubt they'll be a pair. Too similar, not complimentary.

He'd pair better with Gudbranson, Sbisa (if still here) or Tryamkin.