The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

What makes this interesting now is that you can derive value based on the player and the contract.  Now that Tkachuk will be getting around 9mil per year and that Joulevi will get 863k per year, who is the better value?  Tkachuk is obviously the better player at this time and since they have been drafted, but adding in the contract we may have Joulevi at the better value (player vs contract) for a longer period of time.  Sometimes it all just works out.

I also think that Tkachuk has likely peaked and he peaked when he will get a huge payday. 

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

I think the freaking out over Juolevi not playing an NHL game might be more pertinent had he actually had a legit chance to play in the NHL.

He spent almost the entirety of last season injured. The year before that he spent the entire year in Finland. The year before that he was a freshly drafted junior. He really hasn't had a proper shot at making the opening night roster, with the possible exception of training camp last year (a camp in which I think he performed extremely well and actually did deserve a look), and he certainly never had a chance for any sort of a call up.

I'm not going to sit here and say that there are't a bunch of guys that I wouldn't take over Juolevi in a redraft. Objectively speaking, and with the gift of hindsight, the pick doesn't look good, especially considering the quality players that ended up going after Juolevi that have already made significant impacts in the NHL. What I am saying is that Juolevi is far from a 'bust'. He's a complete unknown at this point. For all we know he could crack the lineup out of training camp, put of 40 points and end up being a Calder candidate. The point is we just don't know. Let's maybe give him a chance to actually make the NHL before we write him off or use his name as some sort of cautionary tale or as an example of ineptitude from management.

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I think OJ will have a bigger impact on the defense corp than Hughes will.  Hughes will add an element that is sorely needed, but I think OJ will be the better overall player when all is said and done

Pressure has definitely moved from Juolevi to Hughes. But that's partly because Juolevi is no longer the only defensive prospect, Hughes is at the top of that list. And I'm glad that is, because all eyes will be on Hughes, but Juolevi is able to just play hockey and kinda go under the radar. That's a good thing for Olli. I'm hoping and expecting strides for him, as he's getting healthy, I'm curious to see what he can bring to training camp. It might be a couple of years since he's been drafted, but this seems to be the first time in a while that he's been healthy. I hope he isn't another Sami Salo. Already injured so often at such a young age, I hope it is not a sign of things to come. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good news and bad news.

great news he's healthy and should start.  Bad news is it seems like no matter how well he does, hes destined for Uitca.  You don't hear names like Hughes saying "he'll start in Utica"  quite discouraging for poor Juolevi.

This was very much so expected. While I am slightly surprised that Benning would state flat out that he won't have a shot at making the team out of training camp, this was always the most likely scenario. 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This was very much so expected. While I am slightly surprised that Benning would state flat out that he won't have a shot at making the team out of training camp, this was always the most likely scenario. 

Sometimes I think he should shut it.  He's a former 1st rounder too, and if he impresses  right out of the gate he should get some NHL games.  But that's just me.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good news and bad news.

great news he's healthy and should start.  Bad news is it seems like no matter how well he does, hes destined for Uitca.  You don't hear names like Hughes saying "he'll start in Utica"  quite discouraging for poor Juolevi.

He's missed pretty much an entire season. There's nothing wrong for him to continue his progression in development starting in Utica. If he plays lights out, he's the first call up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good news and bad news.

That's not bad news nor surprising. We finally have organizational depth and that will also mean Gaudette and MacEwen will start in the AHL. That's a good thing and not a slight on those players. It's a luxury that teams with good depth can afford to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good news and bad news.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Sometimes I think he should shut it.  He's a former 1st rounder too, and if he impresses  right out of the gate he should get some NHL games.  But that's just me.

Regardless of what Benning says, if Juolevi comes into camp and knocks everyones socks off, he'll be on the team.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good news and bad news.

Most of us had him pegged for Utica guy missed like 6 months due to injury, but I agree with 48MPHSlapShot. It’s surprising it was outright stated he’s starting in Utica.