The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Juolevi is 6'2"   200

Hamhuis is 6'1"  204

No..he isn't bigger now. But there is a good chance he can get there since he is only 20 years old.

I met Dan, and there is not a chance he is 6’1”.  Maybe on his skates he might get close.  

He is built heavy though.  Big bottom, and legs for sure.

• Cheers 1

Pretty funny translation from the quoted article above:

After a slight introduction to the tournament, he made his best match to Switzerland in the group game so far. But in the context of a free-kick, where Pettersson was just putting the puck in, he fell badly into the goalkeeper.  

"I agree with you that I was on time then. The tournament started a bit slowly, then it went better and better for each match and against Switzerland I felt very spicy. Created the scenes and of course ..., then that damage came where I broke my thumb.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I met Dan, and there is not a chance he is 6’1”.  Maybe on his skates he might get close.  

He is built heavy though.  Big bottom, and legs for sure.

Yea...but as we know...for some reason they seem to inflate heights of players. Someone on here earlier this summer says it is harder to do now with the combine so who knows.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Pretty funny translation from the quoted article above:

After a slight introduction to the tournament, he made his best match to Switzerland in the group game so far. But in the context of a free-kick, where Pettersson was just putting the puck in, he fell badly into the goalkeeper.  

"I agree with you that I was on time then. The tournament started a bit slowly, then it went better and better for each match and against Switzerland I felt very spicy. Created the scenes and of course ..., then that damage came where I broke my thumb.

received_2231281933768199.gif.5eb360d7f55fa8609d0ca8fce20c147a.gif

(((SPICY PETEY BOI)))

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody labelling juolevi as dry and boring, but i think he'll surprise a bit. While he's definitely not nearly as dynamic as a pettersson or hughes, he's extremely smooth and has above-average hands and edge work for a defenceman. Also a very sneaky wrist shot. I personally see him having 50 point potential in his prime.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Everybody labelling juolevi as dry and boring, but i think he'll surprise a bit. While he's definitely not nearly as dynamic as a pettersson or hughes, he's extremely smooth and has above-average hands and edge work for a defenceman. Also a very sneaky wrist shot. I personally see him having 50 point potential in his prime.

Sometimes, dry and boring is what you want. While it can mean you are not exactly lighting up the scoreboard, it can also mean you are not making mistakes and, history on CDC has shown how fans feel when defenders make mistakes (*cough Edler and Bieska among others).

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sometimes, dry and boring is what you want. While it can mean you are not exactly lighting up the scoreboard, it can also mean you are not making mistakes and, history on CDC has shown how fans feel when defenders make mistakes (*cough Edler and Bieska among others).

I definitely agree that dry and boring is not bad by any means, i just think olli's gonna be a bit less dry and boring than people expect.

He's certainly not a tanev imo.

Edited by Yung1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Am I the only one who is sick of hearing the phrase “edge work” after this summer of QH. 

:lol: It’s definitely been said a lot with Q. And I’m probably guilty of using the phrase a few times.

Although personally, I think I’m probably gonna need to see us make a few more elite defenseman draft picks, with their exceptional “edge work,” before I actually start getting sick of hearing the phrase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

I definitely agree that dry and boring is not bad by any means

It all depends.   For an NHL Dman....that can be fine.   For a date with your SO - not so good.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
Had to make sure I didn't offend some of the sensitive ones
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Excited to see this guy compete.

Have been waiting patiently for him to develop and it could take longer yet, hes young.

I feel like he thrives when he is challenged so I really think he is ready for the next step, so he continues to be challenged.

I think of him as a Hjalmarsson type of defender.  Quietly gets it done.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Gotta say that as much I want to see EP40 skate I am even more interested in seeing how OJ does this pre season. 

If OJ is paying attention he has a great opportunity ahead and I want to see our defence take a positive step forward.  

I think I can safely say that's what we all want.

As for Juolevi, it all depends on his physical readiness. 

If he's 100% and shows well in the pre-season, there's no reason to think he won't earn a spot.

If he's not at full readiness, I think he starts in Utica.

I don't think he's there for long if he proves himself and our defense falters.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Gotta say that as much I want to see EP40 skate I am even more interested in seeing how OJ does this pre season. 

If OJ is paying attention he has a great opportunity ahead and I want to see our defence take a positive step forward.  

If Juolevi cant beat out someone from our piss poor LD side this year then Ill be worried. He may start slow due to surgery and all but he needs to take the step this year into the NHL and solidify himself in our bottom 4.

Preferably this year we'd see at least one of Hutton or Pouliot take big steps in their development and show they can be top 4 guys. Then you'd trade one of or both Edler  and Del Zotto at the deadline. 

Perhaps make a trade in which we take back an old veteran LD cap dump. Someone like Andy Greene or Marc Methot.

• Upvote 1