The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, bubbaCHUCK said:

crazy how some people think Juolevi has accomplished everything in the juniors already. he was only 17 and pretty much a rooking playing behind alot of great players. yes he's won everything and that is good, but he played on great teams also. let's see how he does as a junior sophomore and try to repeat the same success he had a year ago. and this time he's gonna be the player that other players look at for help and leadership. if he can handle that pressure of being the go-to-guy then it's gonna help alot towards his development. the only flaw that i see in his game is his speed to catch up to guys while back-checking. if he can dominate the juniors the 2nd time around and become even a better player then last year. then he really accomplished everything he can juniors.

i really like this kid and don't wanna see him developed and easing him in the nhl the way horvat was. i want him to come to the nhl ready to play and be a key player on the canucks blueline.

Do they?  He did play on a very good Junior team.  A Memorial Cup championship team.  And at 17 he was a go to defenseman on that team.

But what Linden and Benning keep going back to is how well Juolevi played at the World Juniors in a Gold Medal winning performance against the best Junior players in the world.  Everyone knows that 19 and 20 year olds dominate the tournament.

But fair comment.  I think that the Canuck brass would rather see him in Juinior where he can develop leadership etc.  You could argue that playing against men in Europe may be more challenging, but no 27 year old men are going to look to an 18 year old as their leader.  I think that London is the best place for him.  He knows the players there and the players know him.  He will take a leadership role as a returning member of a championship team.  

Edited by Crabcakes

I'm not expecting him to play for the Canucks for 2-3 years. And that's fine. I'd love to see him this season but am prepared to watch him develop for however long it takes till he's 100% ready. 

Next two years play on London and then one year in Utica should be lots of development time. 

The second year in Utica hurts though. It's too much time in junior. The good prospects have out grown junior by there draft + 2 year. 

That damn CHL/ahl agreement just sucks. The entire NHL gets screwed by it. And us as fans. The agreement stunts development either by keeping these kids in a league they've outgrown and dominate or forcing teams to rush the prospects into a situation they aren't ready for playing against men with a huge risk of injury.  It's bs. More of these guys should be going to Europe like Matthews did. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Seven pounds soft said:

I'm not expecting him to play for the Canucks for 2-3 years. And that's fine. I'd love to see him this season but am prepared to watch him develop for however long it takes till he's 100% ready. 

Next two years play on London and then one year in Utica should be lots of development time. 

The second year in Utica hurts though. It's too much time in junior. The good prospects have out grown junior by there draft + 2 year. 

That damn CHL/ahl agreement just sucks. The entire NHL gets screwed by it. And us as fans. The agreement stunts development either by keeping these kids in a league they've outgrown and dominate or forcing teams to rush the prospects into a situation they aren't ready for playing against men with a huge risk of injury.  It's bs. More of these guys should be going to Europe like Matthews did. 

He won't need that much time. One more year in junior and perhaps start in Utica next year.  I would expect him to be on the team midway through next year.  Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it real hard on management to send him back to junior this year.  He's that good.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I don't think it's a good idea for him to go to Europe...

London is one of the best, if not the best at developing stars.

He'll also be a leader on their team this season and can hopefully take his offensive game to another level.

Also wasn't this past season his first on NA ice? Probably be better for him to stay over here.

The thing is that London doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to defenders... that's probably my only qualm when it comes to the Knights.

Would be highly beneficial for him to go and play in a mens league next season. You don't have to be in a leader role on a junior team to learn about leadership, you can learn from established veteran leaders. For me, the ideal situation for him would be to go and play in the SHL, teams there are not afraid of playing young players (including the best teams in the league) and the level of competition is higher than the Finish league. Frölunda, Luleå, or Skellefteå would be ideal landing spots for him, 3 teams that have had a lot of success in the past years while playing and developing young players. He's already got experience of the N.A ice and will most likely spend time in Utica as well. Get the kid more competition and experience of playing with professionals in a more competitive environment. 

The SHL has been forced to become better at developing players because teams simply can't afford to go out and get the best players anymore and pay for the best players. It's become a very good developmental league and is attracting a lot of the best young talents around Europe because it's a very good league to get prepared for professional life and the NHL. Another option that would be very exciting would be for him to play for Jokerit in the KHL, which is Finlands KHL team and Juolevi's youth team. We can talk about ice time but I think if he were to play against men, any ice time he get's would be more valuable to his development than playing in Junior. 

Saying all of this, if it ends up being London, well that's arguably the best option in the CHL. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Building said:

All I wanted this year was a top rated defenseman in this 1st round of this draft and once CBJ drafted Dubois I became very nervous about what EDM would do. 

I'm beyond thrilled that we took Juolevi. Even if his ceiling turns out to be top 4 it's a good pick, but with the way he reads the ice and moves the puck I'm pretty sure Canucks fans will look back on the 2016 draft and say JB made a good choice. We've need a puck moving dman for a while, and Juolevi has the means (and more) to fill that gap.

I'm probably going to get rained down with -1's... but I REALLY REALLY hope he doesn't take up motorcycling....

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dral said:

I'm probably going to get rained down with -1's... but I REALLY REALLY hope he doesn't take up motorcycling....

A bit off colour for sure but I won't neg ya. Wrap the kid in bubble wrap FTW!

6 hours ago, Dral said:

Yes, the Boudon accident was tragic for sure.  Are there some regulations put into contracts about participating is risky activities, like skiing, skydiving, and such? 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, the Boudon accident was tragic for sure.  Are there some regulations put into contracts about participating is risky activities, like skiing, skydiving, and such? 

Im not sure what the stipulations are but i know some atheletes have restrictions. One example off the top of my head was steve nash had a clause in his contract that didnt let him partake in the olympics men team. Apparently the risk of him getting hurt not playing for their team was to high. 

On 2016-07-27 at 2:31 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I think its best he gets sent back next year, following year is AHL tune up, then phase him into the NHL by the age of 20. fair right?

Cause right now, he probably does have NHL sense, and NHL decision making, and NHL calibre, but we have to be careful too, although his playing calibre might be NHL ready, his body might not be ready yet.  All it takes is one hit, he's injured out for 6 weeks, and another injury and may start piling not.  Not to mention the physical grind of a NHL schedule, can really wear out a NHL defender espeically if he's not "physically" ready.  Yes he's ready, his body also needs to build up.  I say since he's a defencemen, they take hits alot, takes  a "TON" of hits, send back to the developement, let him eat up 23-24 minutes of ice time in London, let him then learn the physical game in the AHL at around 18-20 minutes of ice time then phase him to top line minutes towards the final 20 games. 

the following season start him up at around 16 minutes of ice time then go from there. 

The objective of the 2 year window is too "physically" prepare him for the NHL.

Agreed, I think that we could take a page out of Detroit's book as far as player development goes. We need to take our time with guys like Oli, because who knows,the extra two years of development could turn him into the next Doughty, or Kieth, wouldn't that be awesome!! Detroit has a knack for drafting average young players, and three to four years later they are superstars.

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think that when olie's career is over, we'll be looking at him the same way we look at salo and ohlund now...

I like the Salo comparison in terms of their smarts. Salo was not the quickest or strongest, but was always in position and made the best play possible to get it out of our end. Always felt safe when Sami was back there. Both have a bit of a different tool set, but hopefully its their finnish smarts that make the difference. 

58 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Come on folks I know everyone just wants him in London so we are able to watch him more often :P  No bias at all, right?  

He really isn't very big at all I saw him in Shawnigan(got his autograph, no big deal) and apparently he doesn't spend a whole lot of time in the gym compared to a lot of other players.  He would have to be some sort of special or quickly become a gym rat if he wants to make the squad.  Junior or Europe would be the smart choice, we need Sbisa, Tryamkin, or Pedan getting ice time so those 3 big bodies can somewhat make up for our small/soft forward group.  Plus the development for those 3  is important as well.

Spends time in the mental gym ;)