The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, Alflives said:

OJ is going to put comparable points  (Dahlin) and play better without the puck.  

Im glad we have OJ.  If some posters here think otherwise, that’s their opinion.  

OJ Simpson? You seriously believe that or is it just fan homerism?

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

OJ Simpson? You seriously believe that or is it just fan homerism?

OJ is a point producer.  He’s great on the PP too.  I see him as a 50 point guy in his prime.  We have Pettersson, and some other really good young guys for him to play with too.  Dahlin will be a 50 point player too.  But I don’t think the difference between the two will be that much.  I think posters forget just how skilled OJ is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ is a point producer.  He’s great on the PP too.  I see him as a 50 point guy in his prime.  We have Pettersson, and some other really good young guys for him to play with too.  Dahlin will be a 50 point player too.  But I don’t think the difference between the two will be that much.  I think posters forget just how skilled OJ is.  

Come on. Dahlin is 18 already on pace for like 40+ pts. Dude is one of a kind. I like OJ too and stoked for him to get healthy but dahlin is arguably the most valuable defenseman in the league.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Absolutely disgusting.  He's got like 10 points in his last 3 games

MT is one of those players that other teams hate and drags his teammates along with him when the going gets tough this time of year.  Difficult to watch.

I wish Bo had more bite to his game. It would sure be useful at times. 

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

MT is one of those players that other teams hate and drags his teammates along with him when the going gets tough this time of year.  Difficult to watch.

I wish Bo had more bite to his game. It would sure be useful at times. 

I actually could not stop screaming at the TV when we passed on him

leading up to the draft ppl felt MTs ceiling was a player like his dad- and isn’t that what we want in the canucks- grit, power, skill- reminds me of a young linden - but with a bit less character and way more bite

instead we took a D man who “isn’t great at any one thing but rather, all around good”

think of Dan hamhuis butcnot as tough and maybe a bit less leadership

this and the mcann/pat ranks pick will haunt this franchise, esp this pick bc we will face MT a lot 

I think outside those 2 picks and the virtanen pick - although I don’t care for nylander and I think jake will be a 30 goal player - I think JB’s  drafting has been outstanding - EP, BB, Demko, Hughes, woo, trysmkin, Gaudette, Madden, forsling, 

but...

damn, what could have been

I too wanted Matthew Tkachuk, but defense remains a bigger need. Juolevi has shown a lot of promise, and it''s just unlucky he's been marred by injury.
If we draft Byram, we could have a solid D-core with players we have drafted and developed to fit our system. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2019 at 1:50 AM, Alflives said:

OJ is going to put comparable points  (Dahlin) and play better without the puck.  

Im glad we have OJ.  If some posters here think otherwise, that’s their opinion.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/corey-pronman-on-the-nhl-draft/t-277437090/c-60582703

Take a couple of your precious time and listen to Corey Pronman's comments about Dahlin: "one the the best defence prospects in the last 10-15 years".

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, cyoung said:

Sign them! Sign them all!!!

Sooooo... Sign and trade?

In all seriousness, MT is the player we hope Virtanen will become.  Unfortunately I don't see JV getting to that level though.  

It does seriously hurt when most of us wanted him instead of OJ, but the one thing that keeps coming to mind is that if we had drafted MT, we very well may have drafted later in the draft in the year that we selected Elias Pettersson.  So I'll take OJ if it means we have EP40.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sooooo... Sign and trade?

In all seriousness, MT is the player we hope Virtanen will become.  Unfortunately I don't see JV getting to that level though.  

It does seriously hurt when most of us wanted him instead of OJ, but the one thing that keeps coming to mind is that if we had drafted MT, we very well may have drafted later in the draft in the year that we selected Elias Pettersson.  So I'll take OJ if it means we have EP40.

It hurts for now, but if OJ can get, and stay, healthy and continue to develop into a NHL dman then he will become the type of dman that you trade someone like MT for. 

I'm not a person of faith, but I'm prayer that OJ can get healthy, or else that is an unbelievably big loss for our club. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, NaveJoseph said:

I too wanted Matthew Tkachuk, but defense remains a bigger need. Juolevi has shown a lot of promise, and it''s just unlucky he's been marred by injury.
If we draft Byram, we could have a solid D-core with players we have drafted and developed to fit our system. 

You don't draft based on need in the top 5. You take the best player available. You can then use that player as a trade chip later on if need be. Tkachuk was an absolute no-brainer decision that even a doofus like Benning should have made.

And for the other people comparing Juolevi to Dahlin, please DELETE your accounts and stop watching hockey. Water polo might be more your speed.

OJ Bust.PNG

• Like 1
  • Wat 3

Benning has done a good job. calling him a doofus, just shows you should delete  your account and stop watching hockey, taking ballet might be better for you! I for one believe Juolevi will end up being a great defenseman for the Canucks.  

43 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

You don't draft based on need in the top 5. You take the best player available. You can then use that player as a trade chip later on if need be. Tkachuk was an absolute no-brainer decision that even a doofus like Benning should have made.

And for the other people comparing Juolevi to Dahlin, please DELETE your accounts and stop watching hockey. Water polo might be more your speed.

OJ Bust.PNG

Ever played water polo ?  Pretty intense stuff, gets rough

In hindsight,Olli is looking to be a bust. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong but his injury history is very concerning imo

• Wat 3

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Ever played water polo ?  Pretty intense stuff, gets rough

In hindsight,Olli is looking to be a bust. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong but his injury history is very concerning imo

Has not played a single nhl game as a 20 year old and he’s a bust? If he wasn’t injured he’d be on our team ever since Edler got injured early and would probably be leading our D in points. The guy has been great everywhere he’s played

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Has not played a single nhl game as a 20 year old and he’s a bust? If he wasn’t injured he’d be on our team ever since Edler got injured early and would probably be leading our D in points. The guy has been great everywhere he’s played

Hes not a bust yet, just my own trajectory for him in comparison to the picks around him. the injuries he has sustained are not minor.

I hope to be wrong but we are all allowed a prediction eh’

Ill try to be more optimistic with this prospect... if he pans out as a top4 D it would be a tremendous boost. I think he could complement Quinn well

3 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

OJ Bust.PNG

The thing about that draft class is that there was no consensus on the BPA after the top 4, so that's why JB & Co drafted for position.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

OJ Bust.PNG

A lot of people believed Juolevi was the best player available. One could argue he had a more impressive draft season than Tkachuk, because he won the gold medal with Finland as well as playing on the same team as Tkachuk. He has played well everywhere he has been, which shows adaptability and high IQ enabling him to form chemistry with other players. There is no reason to believe that will stop at the NHL level other than, albeit concerning, injuries. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Upvote 2

I'm looking forward to getting the answer on OJ next season. I expect he will play at least half a season for the big club in 19/20 so then we will know.

For me. He'll be a solid smoooth skating D who can headman the puck and plays well defensively. I see a 30 pt a year number 2 or 3 D for Olli in his career.

Hard to say that's worth as much as Tkachuk would have been to the Canucks. But I think over time Olli will narrow that gap. 

Edited by fanfor42
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/18/2019 at 1:55 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Whatever Dahlin is/will be ...Joulevi is going to be similar but better in almost every aspect than OUR best D. at the this time....

Let that sink in a bit...

Edler is having a great year and has had a very good career to this point ...but there were 2-3 years previous when it looked like he just couldn't keep up...he was losing D. coverage, he was pinching at the wrong times or half heartedly ...and he wasn't getting his shot past the first guy let alone on net.

Still given the year he has had, he has being recognized as our best D.

Oli will be better within 2-3 year max., in every category except maybe hitting.

I have no trouble seeing Oli as our second most productive D. and our best defender within that timeframe.

Nothing you type needs to sink in lol.   You are just ridiculous saying OJ will be better than Dahlin.

But I am sure you are have a better hockey mind then every....actual...hockey mind. lol  :picard: