The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Thing is, people in some threads are penciling him in to the top 6 already....he could Brunnstrom on us within 10 games.  Or Rundblad.  MPS, Jonsson, Gustafsson, and Gustafson

The list is literally endless.  And most of them didn't come with injury issues or had left north america to go back home for an extended period of time.

yeah, Rodin's situation is certainly unique.  I think the fact that his game improved when he returned to Sweden is a positive sign.  I don't think he ever quite got his feet under him in the AHL.  I tend to think anyone projecting him right into the top 6 is jumping the gun.  I just want to see him playing with and against NA pros.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

So

let's ask the simple question.  Do you, believe that it was a good idea to deplete our LW depth by trading Shinkaruk for another tweener center because management thinks Rodin will come in and be that guy, at 5 years older and no experience or success on north american ice?

People are penciling in Rodin as though he's going to be a success.  But those same people accuse Shinkaruk of being a potential bust.

It's beyond confusing really.

Personally, I have a hard time getting behind the Hunter deal, especially since we could have just kept Shinkaruk in the AHL another year, which gives us a year to find out how Rodin turns out.  If Rodin does turn out, then you could focus on looking for a deal for Hunter, if he doesn’t then Hunter could be giving a chance (which he never got). 

It just seems mgmt. really didn’t like something about Hunter and were in a hurry to get rid of him.  I don’t know why, but in my opinion we weren’t forced to deal him now, and unless he went on a major slump, his value shouldn’t have dropped.  Granlund is a good player but organizationally it doesn’t really help us, it kind of feels like we wanted hunter out so bad that we just settled on the best return we were offered, whether is was a team need or not.  It is a bit head scratching.

With that said.  I like what Rodin brings in terms of current skill and potential over what Hunter brings.  He’s not just a pure skill player, he’s a player that relies on an elite shot.  That shot is what gives him the best opportunity to transition into the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

It's weird that there seems to be an internal limit on the number of offensive wingers in this organization, but I suspect Rodin would not sign if there wasn't some substantial guarantees. Trading Shink may have been a signal from Canucks that they are prepared to go all in on Rodin. Although I am not a fan of the Shink trade, I can sort of feel better about it if I think about it like this:

Shink for Granlund and Rodin... in reality that would be a trade I would do in a heartbeat if it was offered by another club. 

Yes, but since we already had Rodin it's not as exciting. We could have kept Shinkaruk as a call up in the AHL for another year and given Rodin his shot, and potentially moved one of them then if we needed space at that point. The value of either could increase or decrease of course, so if that's management's decision that Shinkaruk was at his highest value right now and might likely go downhill (injuries, talent plateau, etc.) then so be it.

I know I'd certainly be more excited about Rodin coming over if he hadn't just sustained a season ending injury and had some previous success in NA. I love to see him get the chance, but the backup would be nice as well (and I know they play different wings).

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Rodin plays RW while Shink plays LW.

I haven't read any posts suggesting that Rodin will be a shoe in.  Most people understand the problems he had the first time around, so expectations are low.  The Canucks would be fools not to have another look at him though.

Quit making every thread about Shinkaruk.

It's a valid point though. Do you think Rodin is prepared to go to the AHL for a year if he doesn't make the Canucks? He spent his time there previously, but left after a marginal performance compared to his potential, and injuries from playing against bigger players on the smaller ice. He may just be better suited to the European game.

Comparing them at the same ages, Shinkaruk is the better prospect. Considering his year last season was a slow start after his injury recovery, he still had 4 more points than Rodin's best AHL season (albeit in 12 more games). This year Shinkaruk has already surpassed last year's totals in thirty less games, where Rodin's second year was worse than his first.

I hold higher hope that Shinkaruk sticks in the NHL than Rodin, and possibly at a higher ceiling, but I'm sure willing to see how it turns out for Rodin.

59 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yes, but since we already had Rodin it's not as exciting. We could have kept Shinkaruk as a call up in the AHL for another year and given Rodin his shot, and potentially moved one of them then if we needed space at that point. The value of either could increase or decrease of course, so if that's management's decision that Shinkaruk was at his highest value right now and might likely go downhill (injuries, talent plateau, etc.) then so be it.

I know I'd certainly be more excited about Rodin coming over if he hadn't just sustained a season ending injury and had some previous success in NA. I love to see him get the chance, but the backup would be nice as well (and I know they play different wings).

It's a valid point though. Do you think Rodin is prepared to go to the AHL for a year if he doesn't make the Canucks? He spent his time there previously, but left after a marginal performance compared to his potential, and injuries from playing against bigger players on the smaller ice. He may just be better suited to the European game.

Comparing them at the same ages, Shinkaruk is the better prospect. Considering his year last season was a slow start after his injury recovery, he still had 4 more points than Rodin's best AHL season (albeit in 12 more games). This year Shinkaruk has already surpassed last year's totals in thirty less games, where Rodin's second year was worse than his first.

I hold higher hope that Shinkaruk sticks in the NHL than Rodin, and possibly at a higher ceiling, but I'm sure willing to see how it turns out for Rodin.

What's the valid point?  Rodin has nothing to do with Shinks.  I really don't think the Canuck management are putting all their hopes on Rodin.  He's just a freebe possibility that they want to check out. 

Shinks would have been traded regardless.

You guys have been crying about Shinks for 2 days and commenting on the trade in every thread around here.  Why don't you go challenge Travis Green or Jim Benning with your thoughts?

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Rodin plays RW while Shink plays LW.

I haven't read any posts suggesting that Rodin will be a shoe in.  Most people understand the problems he had the first time around, so expectations are low.  The Canucks would be fools not to have another look at him though.

Quit making every thread about Shinkaruk.

This isn't about Shinkaruk even though his name was brought up, it's about depth in the org.  And with only 2 LW's capable of top 6 duties in the NHL it's worth discussing

VERY worth discussing

As well, check the drouin thread and the shinkaruk trade thread.  people are very much penciling him in to the top 6

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This isn't about Shinkaruk even though his name was brought up, it's about depth in the org.  And with only 2 LW's capable of top 6 duties in the NHL it's worth discussing

VERY worth discussing

As well, check the drouin thread and the shinkaruk trade thread.  people are very much penciling him in to the top 6

Because where some cdc users 'pencil in' anybody means anything...?

I would have liked to have penciled in Niskanen and Hiller over Miller... and that and ~$5 will get you a latte. 

One thing we do know -- Jim Benning and his staff see Rodin as an NHL-level player, and not Shinkaruk.  Because of that, one was moved out of the organization and the other is about to be brought back in.

Although they are different players, not to mention age and experience, this is a case like Shinkaruk/Granlund where we'll be able to see how well JB's scouting and projections for these players pan out.  Agree with his assessments or not, Benning is quite confident and blunt when he declares players to be "ready for the NHL" or not having a translatable game, and that is refreshing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

One thing we do know -- Jim Benning and his staff see Rodin as an NHL-level player, and not Shinkaruk.  Because of that, one was moved out of the organization and the other is about to be brought back in.

Although they are different players, not to mention age and experience, this is a case like Shinkaruk/Granlund where we'll be able to see how well JB's scouting and projections for these players pan out.  Agree with his assessments or not, Benning is quite confident and blunt when he declares players to be "ready for the NHL" or not having a translatable game, and that is refreshing.

Brian Burke was pretty blunt about Baertschi, saying: "There are three zones in the ice surfaces in this league. I don’t see that [Baertschi's] learned to play and compete in two of them."

So bluntness is not all that new. But I agree that Benning is a lot more honest than Gillis, which I do appreciate. Now I hope that his assessments turn out to be correct on a consistent basis. So far he looked good with young guys (not surprising given his scounting reputation) but not so good with NHL players, where there is lots of analytical data available that other GMs pay more attention to than Benning does.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Brian Burke was pretty blunt about Baertschi, saying: "There are three zones in the ice surfaces in this league. I don’t see that [Baertschi's] learned to play and compete in two of them."

So bluntness is not all that new. But I agree that Benning is a lot more honest than Gillis, which I do appreciate. Now I hope that his assessments turn out to be correct on a consistent basis. So far he looked good with young guys (not surprising given his scounting reputation) but not so good with NHL players, where there is lots of analytical data available that other GMs pay more attention to than Benning does.

Baer's also done quite well this year focusing on playing MUCH better in those other two zones ;)

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Baer's also done quite well this year focusing on playing MUCH better in those other two zones ;)

Agreed. Being blunt does not necessarily mean being right. Or maybe Burke's comment actually motivated Baertschi to improve his defensive and neutral zone play. Either way, Baertschi was a good pick-up for Vancouver. Benning did well to get him for a second round pick. Now let's hope Benning can follow through and sign him to a reasonable contract this summer instead of overpaying as he has with other guys he needed to re-sign.

Is it right to anoint Beartschi as a top 6 forward already at this point of his career I'd like to think he may have taken the first step but I'm still not sure he's crossed bridge between risk/rewards and consistency . I certainly hope so but don't rewrite his previous 3 years yet

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Is it right to anoint Beartschi as a top 6 forward already at this point of his career I'd like to think he may have taken the first step but I'm still not sure he's crossed bridge between risk/rewards and consistency . I certainly hope so but don't rewrite his previous 3 years yet

For the moment, he is a 2nd line LW on this team.  He has made some great strides in his game, thx to TG and WD and is no longer a defensive liability.  He's only 23 yrs old, so he still has some development ahead of him.  The way things are going, he is a great pickup for a 2nd overall. 

Rodin, on the other hand, is a huge question mark as we have no idea if he can transfer his game to the NHL.  Time will tell.

On 2/24/2016 at 0:52 PM, Warhippy said:

So

let's ask the simple question.  Do you, believe that it was a good idea to deplete our LW depth by trading Shinkaruk for another tweener center because management thinks Rodin will come in and be that guy, at 5 years older and no experience or success on north american ice?

People are penciling in Rodin as though he's going to be a success.  But those same people accuse Shinkaruk of being a potential bust.

It's beyond confusing really.

How do you know Granlund will merely be a tweener? Applying the same questions that you applied to Rodin, nothing is known. For all we know, he could become a very reliable player for us and at the very least, give us some good center depth. And you can never have enough good centers in this league. 

I know one game doesn't mean much especially against a run and gun team like Ottawa but tonight's win was a good example of the reason why you need good center depth. Having Granlund allowed Vey to play wing and although Vey wasn't perfect, he showed some good creativity with the puck and made some good plays in the offensive zone.

From the looks of things, it was more of the management wanting Granlund and not much of "let's get rid of Shinkaruk to make room for Rodin". 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm of this mindset as well. I want to see him put up the numbers he's put up since Jan over the course of a full year consistently. Until that happens what he's doing now is just a bonus.

Haven't ever seen Rodin play so looked at some video from this year aswell with his time in Chicago. Smaller dude but he seems to have knack for puck possession. Got nice speed, decent wrist shot but one thing I was impressed by was his drive/will/passion. For being a smaller guy he seems to give it every shift. 

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎26 at 0:22 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm of this mindset as well. I want to see him put up the numbers he's put up since Jan over the course of a full year consistently. Until that happens what he's doing now is just a bonus.

Yeah I'd agree as long as every one is judged by the same standard. Beartschi was exactly burning up the league when he started this year. You want standards like that you have to be consistent in your judgement. Rodin was plagued with a bad shoulder his entire the stay in NA

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Rodin

Etem Sutter Virtanen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce, McCann, Vey, (Higgins - still on contract)

Edler Tanev

Hutton Sbisa

(Hamhuis), Biega, Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, (UFA)

Miller

Markstrom

Just thinking out loud, but those are the guys we have on contract next year, or at least have planned to sign in Rodin/Tryamkin/Larsen. This is before any UFA signings, from which we have cap space in a very deep free agent pool. Take a look here: http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=All&shoots=Both&team=all&UFA=1

We need to add a scorer in addition to upgrade what was an average defense this past season. It will be interesting to see what JB does, though I wouldn't doubt another young player could be placed on waivers.