The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

Green keeps Virtanen on the right side cause he works best as a puck hound, at this stage in his career. 
Hopefully he starts unleashing that hard shot of his more, but when he does it always sails over the net. I'm not sure a change to the left side would remedy that. 

That's a stick problem, too much twist and curve on the stick causes this

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

That's a stick problem, too much twist and curve on the stick causes this

But having a twist and curve helps with corralling the puck for one timers. Virtanen hasn't been getting too many of chances of that sort. Maybe having a center like Pettersson would help that. 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder if they'll be able to run a line like Gadjovich - Pettersson - Virtanen (hope all three can grow into what Boston had with Lucic - Krejci - Horton).

With his skill-set and some hard-nosed doggedness (as noted in the scouting report) lining him up with two power forwards would make for a line that's very tough to play against.  Jonah in the crease with Elias picking corners on poor, screened goalies would be awesome, and hopefully he can also set Jake up and help him realize his scoring upside too.  Plus just imagine those two wingers crashing in on the forecheck and the havoc they can wreak.

Sven - Bo - Brock (they can already carry the load offensively, let them keep working their magic)

Jonah - Elias - Jake (let them abuse the secondary defensive units)

The only thing lacking from that working is a little time.  Gadjovich needs some pro skating and EP needs a bit more weight. 

It could be a devastinng line. IMO Jake needs a linemates with some snarl to encourage him. The skill, Pettersson, the speed Virtannen and the grit Gadjovich.  

The under 25 crowd plus Tanev and Sutter. It’s looking better than it hasn’t in a decade. 

Baer Bo Boeser

Gadjovich Pettersson Virtannen 

Lind Gaudette Goldy/Dahlen

Granlund Sutter Palmu

McEwan Gaunce Lockwood

OJ Tanev 

Trymakin Guddy

Pouliot Stecher

Hutton

McEnemy Brisbois. 

Demko 

Dipeitro. 

Gartieg

The youth movement is starting. 

Defence is still weak, but Dahlin would go a long way to changing that. ;)  

EmW

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

But having a twist and curve helps with corralling the puck for one timers. Virtanen hasn't been getting too many of chances of that sort. Maybe having a center like Pettersson would help that. 

Put Virtanen in the All-Star shooting contest like Boeser did and see how much time it takes him to shoot out 5 targets. I am saying that a bit sarcastically because I do see Virtanen with scoring opportunities but misses the net. He had 3 really solid ops in the Carolina game. I am a Virtanen 'hopeful' but hope he amps up his physical game by crashing the net more. 

14 minutes ago, cory40 said:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-canucks-centre-vaxjo-2018 A good read on EP. His weaknesses could very well be applied to Connor McDavid. His strengths make him dangerous. And like most offensive threats they lack that defensive prowess. However he is still very young. can't wait to see him in nucks colors.

I like a good chunk of the article, but the writer is cherry picking the few defensive lapses that pettersson has had.

7 minutes ago, Isam said:

I like a good chunk of the article, but the writer is cherry picking the few defensive lapses that pettersson has had.

Yeh that's what I thought. And watching Edmontons game last night I thought McDavid was soft defensively, as are most offensive forwards.

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Yeh that's what I thought. And watching Edmontons game last night I thought McDavid was soft defensively, as are most offensive forwards.

His defensive work is much better. The engagement problem that beicher has an issue with will be solved with increased strength. 

On 2/11/2018 at 12:34 AM, Alflives said:

Pettersson can play all three forward spots.  On the PP, he will play on the right side, and Brock will play on the left, leaving Bo as net front.  

I think we get Dhalin in the coming draft.  

Our PP alignment with current players is already pretty good I think,

Bo

Dahlen (not Dahlin)

Brock                       Pettersson

Juolevi

Jonathan Dahlen is good around the net so he can join Bo once the puck gets there. He can play the position in the slot for quick snipes from the middle as well.

Juolevi is one of those players who is not spectacular by himself but he is a cerebral type that when surrounded by great players, he can really excel. I think he will do just fine running our PP.

But yeah, Dahlin would add another dimension to that PP. A defenceman who can gain the zone all by himself will make setting up way easier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Isam said:

Having watched 7 or 8 full games now this is what I have said elsewhere on these boards.

"Listed at 6-foot-2 and 165 pounds, he struggles physically and needs to rely entirely on his puck skills. But without the extra room of a man advantage, getting through isn’t easy – and the smaller North American ice surface won’t help."

That is a fact and there is no point denying it. In fact the more it is denied the less time and work will be spent correcting and coaching it out of his game.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wayne Gretzky was too slight.  Patrick Kane was too slight. Johnny Gaudreau was too slight.  I’ve heard this statement about lighter guys lots of times before.  Elite skills, and hockey sense will overcome this issue, especially given the new NHL.  Plus, PP is HUGE in deciding games.  

Pettersson, within a year, will be one of the top players in the league.  “No point in denying it.”. :P

Note Gretzky’s rookie weight:  Again Pettersson has elite skill and hockey sense.  

6D545399-9084-48E6-ADFB-510342B6321D.jpeg

It's so odd to use a not only a player that played in a completely different era but also the best player of all time by far as a good example as why Pettersson can thrive as a skinny kid.  

Also Kane and Gaudreau are absolutely the best of the best when it come to edgework and stickhandling allowing them to play at such small statures.  At least lets use more realistic comparables like the Sedins or Turris,  tall skinny guys that have done well in this era without being absolutely elite skaters like most of the other small players that thrive in the NHL.   

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wayne Gretzky was too slight.  Patrick Kane was too slight. Johnny Gaudreau was too slight.  I’ve heard this statement about lighter guys lots of times before.  Elite skills, and hockey sense will overcome this issue, especially given the new NHL.  Plus, PP is HUGE in deciding games.  

Pettersson, within a year, will be one of the top players in the league.  “No point in denying it.”. :P

How many full games have you watched him in Alf?

I will repeat Pettersson is nowhere near as shifty as Johnny Gudreau, nor does he play a similar game to Kane - as for WG come on now, apart from being a different era where touching WG lightly on the leg was like booking your taxi to the A&E he was far more adept at dodging checks on a smaller ice against older players, having grown up in Ontario and Toronto Canada playing against bigger Canadian players who play a far heavier game.

You also have to remember the average size when Gretzky (160 lbs) came into the NHL was 189lbs.  Pettersson is 165lbs and the average size of a hockey player in the NHL is now over 200lbs.

Anyway stats aside we will just have to wait and see how he copes. However I hope he is being supervised by trainers/nutritionists who are actively helping him to boost his weight/muscle mass for his own sake.

• Upvote 1