The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler's 700th NHL Game

Goat James

So I know that I'm gonna get some hate for pointing this out, since Edler's become our new Mason Raymond/Keith Ballard, but Alexander has now played 700 NHL games. That puts him in ninth place for most games played as a Canuck, and he is second among defensemen, only trailing his mentor Mattias Öhlund. I think Alex get way too much hate here on CDC, sure, he isn't the "tier below Norris"-d-man he once was but he's still a serviceable defenseman. The 3 on 3 line with him and the Sedins gave me crazy amounts of 2011 vibes last night. Congrats Alex, you're headed straight for the Ring of Honor!  edlersedins.jpg 

Edit: Also, the top nine in games played consists of five Swedes (four of whom have played for MODO) and four Canadians. Vancouver really is the Canadian Örnsköldsvik!

Edler had a good game against the Rangers... made his physical presence known and generally handled his responsibilities.

He will never be the defenseman he was prior to that very serious back injury he had in January 2011... but he is still a good #3 defenseman and someone who can contribute.  Personally I think if the Canuck's had the pre-injury Edler in the 2011 playoffs with his ability to hit and control the boards, the Canucks chances to win the Cup would have been much improved... but of course, we had the 70% Edler... plus he had 3 broken fingers.  The pre-injury Edler would have developed into a bonifide #1 D.  But what can you expect... when an athlete gets a serious back injury...  they are will not play with the same confidence or mobility when they come back.

Still he should be congratulated for his contributions and his time spent in Vancouver.

Can’t beleive how long we’ve had him, he was literally my favourite canuck at one point.

Imo he’s still good, but i think it’s obvious that he’s not too interested in the sport like he used to be, i do wish we could move him or he would retire at this point. 

However i have fond memories of him as well and he has given a lot tot he org.

respec.

Great accomplishment for Alex and he really has contributed positively to the team over his years in Vancouver.

The problem is that he is a relic from a previous age and it is beginning to show in a more consistent basis in his game.  Like others have mentioned, he was never the same after that back injury and his hockey instincts were never Sedin level to help compensate for that.

Either way best of luck to Edler in his continued tenure on the Canucks.

Is Elder allergic to passing to Boeser on the PP?  If he didn't shoot so much I wouldn't complain but all he does is shoot and miss hence the complaining.  He had a nice shot block against the Rangers that saved us a point. 

I remember his first games, he looked like an Ohlund clone, he made the team even before Luke and for the first while looked much better but then Luke started to adjust but with the both of them the Nucks looked set for a long time.

I see two events that have marred Edler's career. Physically, the back injury and surgery and mentally, the weak suspensions. But he is still effective if not fulfilling the role a lot of fans expected him to be able to play as our "stud". He used to have an unofficial 103 mph slap shot, recorded at the Canuck skills competition.

Physically he looks like he may be getting used to the constant pain of a back injury or maybe they are giving him better drugs but he is making more contact if not as heavy as before.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I remember his first games, he looked like an Ohlund clone, he made the team even before Luke and for the first while looked much better but then Luke started to adjust but with the both of them the Nucks looked set for a long time.

I see two events that have marred Edler's career. Physically, the back injury and surgery and mentally, the weak suspensions. But he is still effective if not fulfilling the role a lot of fans expected him to be able to play as our "stud". He used to have an unofficial 103 mph slap shot, recorded at the Canuck skills competition.

Physically he looks like he may be getting used to the constant pain of a back injury or maybe they are giving him better drugs but he is making more contact if not as heavy as before.

THIS.    Great post.   

He has played a career above his draft pick spot for certain but it feels that for the past few years, he is playing in the shadow of expectations he set for himself through his play.  Would be nice to think he could get on a roll and get back to being the player he was/can be but at this point in his career, he is still serviceable but doesn't play every night like a guy who should get 20 minutes on a team that is competitive though yesterday he played very well.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

THIS.    Great post.   

He has played a career above his draft pick spot for certain but it feels that for the past few years, he is playing in the shadow of expectations he set for himself through his play.  Would be nice to think he could get on a roll and get back to being the player he was/can be but at this point in his career, he is still serviceable but doesn't play every night like a guy who should get 20 minutes on a team that is competitive though yesterday he played very well.

i agree

i'm equally frustrated as many on here that he did not quite progress as much as we all hoped

but though he is not in the same class as the sedins

like the sedins, only when other younger players demonstrate they have by passed him

should his ice time be reduced

no one has been able to play the minutes he has played for this team

so that says more about the other players then edler

that is really the only thing i do not understand about all the negativity towards edler

how many coaches has he had in the past 10 years ?

all have played him top dman minutes every year

i guess they are all misguided about him ?

he has been a warrior and workhorse for this team

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

i'm equally frustrated as many on here that he did not quite progress as much as we all hoped

but though he is not in the same class as the sedins

like the sedins, only when other younger players demonstrate they have by passed him

should his ice time be reduced

no one has been able to play the minutes he has played for this team

so that says more about the other players then edler

that is really the only thing i do not understand about all the negativity towards edler

how many coaches has he had in the past 10 years ?

all have played him top dman minutes every year

i guess they are all misguided about him ?

Nice post.   Have to say that reading your comments is a bit interesting - like reading a poem or similar (the writing style).  Not sure it does or doesn't work for me but perhaps, like poetry, I am trying to figure out if I am the only one who isn't "getting it" so I nod approvingly as if I understand the point.    Words you have are find but are you attempting run-on Haikus or just paying tribute to James Joyce or ????

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

THIS.    Great post.   

Hopefully Green can gain more confidence in Stecher and Pouliot and start reducing Edler's time a bit, I think that could help a lot. Not sure why he's playing Stecher fewer minutes this year. 

He plays like a #1 when he isn't expected to be the #1.  Automatic Alex.  

When he had Ohlund, Mattias would be the main physical force, the calming influence, and the main shutdown guy.

With Salo on the team, he could be the "secondary" offensive threat (teams could choose to block either the RH 100+ mph slapshot or the LH 100+ mph slapshot).

When Ehrhoff was around, Edler wasn't expected to QB the PP or the be the carrier of the puck.  Edler could just be another piece in the Canucks offense machine instead of being the main cog in recent years.

I always felt the Canucks management always seems to forget the concept of synergy.  Instead, they always chose to penny-pinch or wishes to re-invent the wheel.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hopefully Green can gain more confidence in Stecher and Pouliot and start reducing Edler's time a bit, I think that could help a lot. Not sure why he's playing Stecher fewer minutes this year. 

Stecher gives a lot of effort like Biega, but offensively outside of a couple of good rushes in his career he has been underwhelming so far.  I know that 300-400 mark is when we really should expect to know what kind of player he is going to be, but in my mind Biega is the better player.  I am surprised Biega doesn't get more minutes.

Edler was excellent against NYR.  He is the most underrated player on this team and has been for a long time.  Interestingly, the coaches Willie, Green and Alain all have seen it a lot differently than fan experts.  There isn't a single thing that Stecher does better than Edler.  Stecher isn't even fast for a young small player.  He is feisty but Biega is just a better version of him.  Biega gets underrated being undrafted and older than the "window or new core".

Pouliot is miles ahead of Stecher already.  Better skater, excellent passer, patient with the puck.

Not sure he's headed for the ROH, but I still get a bad taste in my mouth when I see fans constantly ragging on a guy who's given us service for over 10 seasons. We should be celebrating him, not insulting such a veteran. 

Archived