The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's Trading

TonyStrecher

There seem to be a lot of people speculating about the possibility of Jim Benning not being given a contract extension. One of the main knocks against him has been his trading.

Here's what all of Jim Benning's major trades combined have ended up looking like. I have replaced draft picks with the players that they were used to select and I have also combined a number trades together to show what pieces actually turned into.

Ryan Kesler

Rasmus Asplund

Jonathan Ang

Deven Sideroff

for

Erik Gudbranson

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett

Cole Candella

Rasmus Andersson

for

Sven Baertschi

Eddie Lack

for

Guillaume Brisebois

Nick Bonino

Kevin Bieksa

Gustav Forsling

2018 4th round pick

for

Brandon Sutter

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Burrows

for

Jonathan Dahlen

Jannik Hansen

for

Nikolay Goldobin

Petrus Palmu

Kristoffer Gunnarsson

The Gudbranson trade looks better when you take into account that the pick used to draft Jared McCann was acquired in the Kesler trade. That trade still looks like a loss since the picks that the Canucks sent were all used to draft good players.

The Baertschi trade still looks like a steal, though Andersson is looking like a good prospect.

In hindsight the Lack deal looks like a steal if Brisebois can become a half decent NHLer.

The Sutter and Forsling deals look less bad when you consider that pieces the Canucks acquired in them eventually turned into Derrick Pouliot.

The Burrows and Hansen trades look like huge steals.

Jim Benning may not be the worlds best GM when it comes to trading, but every GM makes mistakes occasionally. Looking at how his trades turned out I would say that Benning is at least an average trader if not a bit above average.

We will see what Benning can do this trade deadline with guys like Gudbranson and Vanek, but I definitely think that he should be given an extension and people should stop complaining about his trading.

I think you missed McCann up in the Guddy deal.

There are one or two gems - Dahlen for Burr, Jannik for Goldy; some meh/average, one miss on Forsling and one big one pending on what Guddy turns into. 

None of it though was franchise killing and some of it might turn out to be amazing (Dahlen), or worth the pages and pages of angst written about some of these deals. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gillis wasn't fired for his god awful drafting, I don't imagine Benning will be let go cause of, what some consider, subpar trades. I don't think any of his deals have been bad. Forsling looks ugly, never liked it to begin with but I understand why it was made. Every other deal is fine imo.

As far as I understand, he hasn't been playing that great in Chicago. He's on the 3rd pairing IIRC.

Early on Jim was trying to force the "retool", thus trading a guy like Forsling. But in the same vein he picked up Baer and Granny. Stupid not to extend him IMO just based on what he has put into the pipeline.

If we're strictly talking about his trades, it doesn't make sense to replace draft picks with the players JB ended up drafting and it makes even less sense to include the players that other teams drafted with the picks he sent out. 

Also, are you sure we got 3 assets for Jannick Hansen? 

And what in god's name have you done with the Bonino trade?! Lol

The thing that really sticks out to me is how much better his trading has gotten as of late.

Putting aside the Dowd deal (which was done purely out of necessity), his last handful of trades have been fantastic. In fact his whole 2017 was great, from the deadline deals, to knocking it out of the park in the draft, to free agency. 

The thought of letting him go now after arguably his greatest year as GM just leaves me dumbstruck.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The thing that really sticks out to me is how much better his trading has gotten as of late.

Putting aside the Dowd deal (which was done purely out of necessity), his last handful of trades have been fantastic. In fact his whole 2017 was great, from the deadline deals, to knocking it out of the park in the draft, to free agency. 

The thought of letting him go now after arguably his greatest year as GM just leaves me dumbstruck.

Heard JB isn’t the only GM without a new contact.  Ken Holland is one, and so is Lou Lamarillo, I think.  Maybe it’s not such a big deal?  

4 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i dont mind his trading or lack thereof...i have to take his word tho that the deals just werent there to be made, you win some you lose some.

a couple of his FA signings are little bit of a question mark tho.

all in all, he is still doin a great job.

..and deserves an extension. 

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Putting aside the Dowd deal (which was done purely out of necessity), his last handful of trades have been fantastic. In fact his whole 2017 was great, from the deadline deals, to knocking it out of the park in the draft, to free agency

Really? You think he knocked free agency or of the park?

Vanek looks good (although the true value of that signing will be revealed at the trade deadline). But does spending $8.65 million per year for multiple years of Gagner, MDZ, and Nilsson now seem like a good thing? Especially when you add it to the disaster of the Eriksson signing from last year.

Benning was hired to improve the present and future of the club. His additions to the prospect pool have been mostly very good. However, most of his efforts to improve the present have been definitely lacking. 

I think he's a great scout, and made some good trades at the last deadline. But I can't say I feel confident in his ability to build a contender. I am not surprised if Linden and ownership feel the same way.

1 hour ago, TonyStrecher said:

There seem to be a lot of people speculating about the possibility of Jim Benning not being given a contract extension. One of the main knocks against him has been his trading.

Here's what all of Jim Benning's major trades combined have ended up looking like. I have replaced draft picks with the players that they were used to select and I have also combined a number trades together to show what pieces actually turned into.

Ryan Kesler

Rasmus Asplund

Jonathan Ang

Deven Sideroff

for

Erik Gudbranson

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett

Cole Candella

Rasmus Andersson

for

Sven Baertschi

Eddie Lack

for

Guillaume Brisebois

Nick Bonino

Kevin Bieksa

Gustav Forsling

2018 4th round pick

for

Brandon Sutter

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Burrows

for

Jonathan Dahlen

Jannik Hansen

for

Nikolay Goldobin

Petrus Palmu

Kristoffer Gunnarsson

The Gudbranson trade looks better when you take into account that the pick used to draft Jared McCann was acquired in the Kesler trade. That trade still looks like a loss since the picks that the Canucks sent were all used to draft good players.

The Baertschi trade still looks like a steal, though Andersson is looking like a good prospect.

In hindsight the Lack deal looks like a steal if Brisebois can become a half decent NHLer.

The Sutter and Forsling deals look less bad when you consider that pieces the Canucks acquired in them eventually turned into Derrick Pouliot.

The Burrows and Hansen trades look like huge steals.

Jim Benning may not be the worlds best GM when it comes to trading, but every GM makes mistakes occasionally. Looking at how his trades turned out I would say that Benning is at least an average trader if not a bit above average.

We will see what Benning can do this trade deadline with guys like Gudbranson and Vanek, but I definitely think that he should be given an extension and people should stop complaining about his trading.

At this point I would say Benning has done pretty well.  No franchise altering wins or losses at this.  I think there is more potential that these deals look better 5 years down the road than looking worse.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Really? You think he knocked free agency or of the park?

Vanek looks good (although the true value of that signing will be revealed at the trade deadline). But does spending $8.65 million per year for multiple years of Gagner, MDZ, and Nilsson now seem like a good thing? Especially when you add it to the disaster of the Eriksson signing from last year.

Benning was hired to improve the present and future of the club. His additions to the prospect pool have been mostly very good. However, most of his efforts to improve the present have been definitely lacking. 

I think he's a great scout, and made some good trades at the last deadline. But I can't say I feel confident in his ability to build a contender. I am not surprised if Linden and ownership feel the same way.

Well, we're not talking about the Eriksson contract. Don't know why that was brought up.

And yes, for the money and term we're giving MDZ, Gagner, and Nilsson, I absolutely believe Benning knocked it out of the park. All three of the aforementioned contracts are relatively short term, low cost, (key point) and have no trade restrictions. 

54 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think there is an important point here.  Benning has learned and has gotten better over time.  Trades, drafting, contracts.....all are better now than in his first year.

21 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think there is an important point here.  Benning has learned and has gotten better over time.  Trades, drafting, contracts.....all are better now than in his first year.

That's the important thing, improvement with his jack of trades on all three areas, trades deals, drafting and contracts.   If any GM regress with his skills, then it is not worth keeping him but he has improved all three areas and his main strength, drafting will help this club even more than trades or contracts and it will become the strength of the club if there are steady dose of prospects coming in next 5 years and cupboard will be so full, opening up even more playbook with trades, resulting in a win-win situation for next 20 years if he is kept around for a long time.   If other club envy our prospects, it becomes a win-win situation as well, and we might be able to unload a few bad contracts for them and still have other prospects to back us up and gain a few picks or a roster player with good contract coming back to us.   Opening up lots of possibility only if our prospects pool improves greatly that Jim Benning continues to find gems.

I think one thing we have to consider is the fact that this is Benning's first job as a GM. It shouldn't matter whether or not he has Assistant GM or Chief Scout, or "Go Get My Coffee You Plebeian" type experience. This is his first time without being underneath someone else who ultimately makes the decisions. Would those experiences he's already had help? Of course they will, but if anyone thinks that means he should not be able to make mistakes or try things that don't work, they are completely disconnected from reality.

Benning will get a contract extension. There's simply not enough reason as to why he wouldn't.

Benning  has drafted the best out of any other manager in the last 47 years for this team...

He know has a decent talent pool..Benning has zero depth in system 4 yrs ago..With smart moves we have a very exciting team to watch

in next 2 years... Playoffs for sure 2019-20 season

Next year if we keep healthy we will be in fight for playoffs.. Will Add Pattersson, Gaudett next season..Gaudett the next Kesler

1st year, Virtanen, McCann, Tryamkin, Demko = A

2nd 3rd yr Boeser at #29 and few other guys, Brisbois, Gaudett, Lockwood, Juolevi

4th year= Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Gunnerson = A

Benning has done very well as GM after 4 yrs, team is in the right direction now..Bright future..

Archived