The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Eriksson for Seabrook

rekker

Yes both are struggling,but Loui's contract is far significantly better to manage, as after this season he would only have 4 years remaining on his deal and by salary would decrease from 7 mil, 5 mil, and 4 mil the final two years of his contract.  Most importantly, he has a NTC and modified NTC at the final 4 years.  Thus even if he isn't able to be traded, we could still waive him, and considering that he is still a useful penalty killer atm, I can live with that.  It is easier to find a forward position to bury him.

Taking on Brent Seabrook's contract would be detrimental especially with a handful of young players we would have to sign in the next 3-4 years like Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi after their ELC expires...

Seabrook has had way too many hard miles put on his body and the reason why he is struggling so mightily this season is that he is physically slow in a fast game.  Gets beat wide all the time, and doesn't have the same shutdown capabilities 4 years ago. The game is shifting to more skill and speed from the backend, Seabrook would hamper the development of our own system of how we would want to play because of his lack of foot speed. 

We would be married to him for another 6 years after this season, to which 4 of the  seasons are with a NMC (no movement clause).  After this seasin his seasonal salary for the next 6 years looks like (9 mil, 7.5mil, 5mil, 6mil, 5mil, 4.5mil).

No matter how you slice it, Loui is a better option and just let his contract ride out unless you can find a poor sap that is willing to take it on for very little in return.   Its a dud contract and signing, and we are paying the consequences for it, but lets not take on another bad one.

Seabrook's contract is pretty terrible. No thank you. Eriksson is a good safety net for the kids and his contract isn't as bad as many make it seem. Sure his offence is damn near non-existent but watching him on the ice isn't too bad. It's not like he is hurting the team. The young guys will be on ELCs/Bridge contracts until his deal ends. His cap isn't needed and when it is his deal will be up anyway. Ride it out. 

No thanks. Both contracts are terrible, but at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel for Eriksson.

Man, Bowman sure screwed the pooch with that contract. Had he sold Seabrook as a rental, he could have set the team up with young assets for another run or two. Instead, he has to deal with that anchor going forward.

Both contracts are awful. There’s no argument (or shouldn’t be) there.

However, this deal doesn’t make Chicago better. It makes them worse. And considering Vancouver’s direction (rebuilding), it doesn’t make the Canucks better in that rebuild, or make sense when it comes to extending their players.

Now, with the salary cap increasing year over year, and the amount of cap space the Canucks are sure to have, the deal makes a “little” more sense on Vancouver’s end. But, as a whole, none for either side.

Seabrook, along with every other bad contract, has Arizona written all over it.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Ahh the Seabrook contract....

This is a fun read. Lots of posters thinking he was superman and wouldn't slow down over the 9 years remaining... let alone 4.

So true.  We don't want anything to do with Seabrook, and that terrible contract!  Why the heck would we help out the Hawks anyway?  Let them suffer.  

I remember Morrissex95 made a proposal that had Biega traded to hawks for Hartman and Seabrook. He was heavily critized and one other poster called it the worst proposal he'd ever seen. I thought value wise it was fairly close as I figured Seabrook had a terrible contract

Question, how many people take that deal now? 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yes both are struggling,but Loui's contract is far significantly better to manage, as after this season he would only have 4 years remaining on his deal and by salary would decrease from 7 mil, 5 mil, and 4 mil the final two years of his contract.  Most importantly, he has a NTC and modified NTC at the final 4 years.  Thus even if he isn't able to be traded, we could still waive him, and considering that he is still a useful penalty killer atm, I can live with that.  It is easier to find a forward position to bury him.

Taking on Brent Seabrook's contract would be detrimental especially with a handful of young players we would have to sign in the next 3-4 years like Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi after their ELC expires...

Seabrook has had way too many hard miles put on his body and the reason why he is struggling so mightily this season is that he is physically slow in a fast game.  Gets beat wide all the time, and doesn't have the same shutdown capabilities 4 years ago. The game is shifting to more skill and speed from the backend, Seabrook would hamper the development of our own system of how we would want to play because of his lack of foot speed. 

We would be married to him for another 6 years after this season, to which 4 of the  seasons are with a NMC (no movement clause).  After this seasin his seasonal salary for the next 6 years looks like (9 mil, 7.5mil, 5mil, 6mil, 5mil, 4.5mil).

No matter how you slice it, Loui is a better option and just let his contract ride out unless you can find a poor sap that is willing to take it on for very little in return.   Its a dud contract and signing, and we are paying the consequences for it, but lets not take on another bad one.

I haven't watched Seabrooke this year but your logic certainly makes sense. I would also suggest that there are always 'cap floor' teams every year in the NHL, so finding a suitor for Loui in 2 years when his salary is lower and he can still add value as a PK  shouldn't be that hard.

That being said,  I am not sold on the fact he will not find his hands again. He was playing well with Granny and Sutter and when Sutter went down and that line was split, he disappeared offensively. When Sutter is back and that line back together, I wouldn't be surprised to see him find the offensive part of his game again. He seems to be a 'complimentary' v 'offensive driver' type player so his linemates matter.

And I think we can look to move him after next year correct? or is it the year after? (based on ntc/nmc?)

Obviously that’s an automatic match for a bad contract swap but 6 more years is till 2024 that’s a loooonnngggg time to have him under contract 

chi would have to sweeten the pot and eat some of his salary to make considerable 

like wow did I just say that?! Someone has to SWEETEN the pot for us trade eriksson away that’s how bad seabrooks contract is...never thought I’d say that

As the Master Yoda would say, "If it is bad Hawks contract you are looking to dump, it is one Dale Tallon you need seek." 

Whew, some freaky quote issue.  ^ This is @skolozsy2 quote above.  Just responding here.

Are you referring to Campbell way back when?  At the time Flo was the Arizona of the day. Needed to hit the cap floor.  Believe they have had two owners since?

Even on the last owner, they looked to move any & every contract that had dollars owing. See Ballard, Booth, etc. The current one tried to use analytics as a way to source money ball success as its start. My point is I don't believe Florida will be taking on Seabrook's dollars...  

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Both contracts are awful. There’s no argument (or shouldn’t be) there.

However, this deal doesn’t make Chicago better. It makes them worse. And considering Vancouver’s direction (rebuilding), it doesn’t make the Canucks better in that rebuild, or make sense when it comes to extending their players.

Now, with the salary cap increasing year over year, and the amount of cap space the Canucks are sure to have, the deal makes a “little” more sense on Vancouver’s end. But, as a whole, none for either side.

Seabrook, along with every other bad contract, has Arizona written all over it.

LOL

What Seabrook A RHD  might do here is allow us to trade Guddy or Tanev for futures.  I am not really an advocate of moving  either. But it has been a discussion point.

To help our rebuild.  

5 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

I remember Morrissex95 made a proposal that had Biega traded to hawks for Hartman and Seabrook. He was heavily critized and one other poster called it the worst proposal he'd ever seen. I thought value wise it was fairly close as I figured Seabrook had a terrible contract

Question, how many people take that deal now? 

Not the Blackhawks. Even if they want to dump Seabrook,  Biega doesn't bring any value, and even with the offset of Seabrook's contract, he wouldn't warrant Hartman in the deal.

But yeah, I don't see Eriksson for Seabrook working.

Archived