The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Ryan McDonagh for William Nylander?

Larry Brooks of the New York Post wonders whether Mike Babcock's coaching style could see the Toronto Maple Leafs part ways with one their higher-skill players to acquire a much-needed defenceman.

Brooks writes 'it would appear to make it more conceivable' that the New York Rangers could pry William Nylander from the Maple Leafs for a package including captain Ryan McDonagh.

Nylander, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, has nine goals and 33 points in 49 games this season.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported last week that the Rangers would at least be willing to listen to offers involving McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello. Both players have one season remaining on their current contract, with the 28-year-old McDonagh carrying a $4.7 million cap hit.

Through 43 games this season, McDonagh has 22 assists while averaging 23:54 of ice time per game.

A package with McDonaugh.  was he not considered one of the best all around d men in the league just 2 seasons ago?  A straight swap sounds expensive to acquire Nylander but may be im missing something.

has mcdonaugh really dropped that far in play? i thought he was a #1 dman.

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

A package with McDonaugh.  was he not considered one of the best all around d men in the league just 2 seasons ago?  A straight swap sounds expensive to acquire Nylander but may be im missing something.

has mcdonaugh really dropped that far in play? i thought he was a #1 dman.

He is probably asking for big money. He was underpaid for years only making 4.7M/year. My guess is he wants one last big contract and the Rangers aren't willing to meet all his demands.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Changed the title from 'Rumour' to 'Speculation'.

Is there something else we can call it? I always assume a deal is more imminent with speculation than I do with rumour. This isn't really speculation as much as it it a trade proposal from Brooks :P

2 hours ago, Drew.Doughty said:

Larry Brooks of the New York Post wonders whether Mike Babcock's coaching style could see the Toronto Maple Leafs part ways with one their higher-skill players to acquire a much-needed defenceman.

Brooks writes 'it would appear to make it more conceivable' that the New York Rangers could pry William Nylander from the Maple Leafs for a package including captain Ryan McDonagh.

Nylander, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, has nine goals and 33 points in 49 games this season.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported last week that the Rangers would at least be willing to listen to offers involving McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello. Both players have one season remaining on their current contract, with the 28-year-old McDonagh carrying a $4.7 million cap hit.

Through 43 games this season, McDonagh has 22 assists while averaging 23:54 of ice time per game.

VAN

Nylander

1st

TOR

Tanev or Gudbranson

BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - BOESER

DAHLEN - PETTERSSON - NYLANDER

Toronto has no cap left... trading a stud roster ELC player can't be an option whilst in a cup run...

Speculation has little basis IMO. If Nylander isn't in Toronto's plan going forward then that's an offseason trade to make.

Also as some have already said, they have bigger holes on the RD rather than LD

Archived