The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

These guys are evaluating players on raw individual physical skill... but there is more to the game than that.

Mario is #1 when you look at pure individual skill.

But hockey is a team game, and NO ONE... no one, used their team mates like Gretzky.

Gretzky was a multiplier...  he made everyone he played with so much better, and he made them use their abilities to the full.

Gretzky was like a multi-headed beast when he played... you couldn't just watch him, you had to watch everyone else in an opposing sweater... and if you didn't, then the person you weren't watching would get the puck distributed to him by Gretzky and he would score.  Every player on the ice with Gretzky became like an appendage of Wayne's mind which he could use to get the puck in the net.

Yeah, Mario could beat you one on one far better than Gretzky, but you gotta look at the scoring totals for Gretzky's linemates and the Oiler team as a whole.... then you start to see Wayne's greatness.

You said it better than I could.

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

These guys are evaluating players on raw individual physical skill... but there is more to the game than that.

Mario is #1 when you look at pure individual skill.

But hockey is a team game, and NO ONE... no one, used their team mates like Gretzky.

Gretzky was a multiplier...  he made everyone he played with so much better, and he made them use their abilities to the full.

Gretzky was like a multi-headed beast when he played... you couldn't just watch him, you had to watch everyone else in an opposing sweater... and if you didn't, then the person you weren't watching would get the puck distributed to him by Gretzky and he would score.  Every player on the ice with Gretzky became like an appendage of Wayne's mind which he could use to get the puck in the net.

Yeah, Mario could beat you one on one far better than Gretzky, but you gotta look at the scoring totals for Gretzky's linemates and the Oiler team as a whole.... then you start to see Wayne's greatness.

Actualy I beg to differ. Mario's linemates (Pre Jagr) were putting up comparable numbers to the some of the Oilers top guys. The only difference is after Wayne left, Kurri, Anderson, and Tikanen were still productive even after Gretzky got traded. Were they just as good? No they weren't but they were still good nonetheless. Hell, Kurri put up a 100 pt season WITHOUT Gretzky. Mario's linemates on the otherhand turned into nobodies. Its a big exaggeration that Gretzky made EVERYONE better, thats not the case, you're making it out like every guy in the Oilers roster are 30-50 goal scorers but their not, its pretty much the same cast of characters that were scoring, Anderson, Kurri, Tikannen (Messier centred the 1B line). Lemieux had less to work with and it showed on how his teamates careers unfolded. Gretzky turned silver into gold, and Mario turned feces into silver. Same impact. The one guy Lemieux got to play with that was a talent, even without him, Jaromir Jagr is probably a top 10, maybe top 7 player in league history.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:59 AM, Chip Kelly said:

He is a serious kid. Very competitive. He has been bred to be a hockey player from a young age.

Big advantage for him was his dad was the Leafs director of prospect development, ironically when Josh Leivo was his age just starting his pro career in the Leafs organization.

Long lineage of athletes and hockey players in his family tree.

He should have no problem adjusting to the pro lifestyle including training and nutrition.

I think a fair expectation of his play style and points in his first full NHL season will be to another undersized left hand d-man, on the Avalanche, in Samuel Girard.

Both are very elusive skaters that can turn on a dime to avoid checks and make plays.

Both are offensive guys who like to join the rush and get up in the play to support the forwards.

If he can improve our PP (which is almost a given), and help our transition game, whether he get 20 pts or 50 pts I could care less. They key for him/ us is that he is able to get the puck out of our zone quickly, on our forwards tape when they have space and time, in transition. That skill alone, which he has, will benefit our team immensely. That is a major aspect of offensive chances, and right now we really lack that from the back end.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

If he can improve our PP (which is almost a given), and help our transition game, whether he get 20 pts or 50 pts I could care less. They key for him/ us is that he is able to get the puck out of our zone quickly, on our forwards tape when they have space and time, in transition. That skill alone, which he has, will benefit our team immensely. That is a major aspect of offensive chances, and right now we really lack that from the back end.

what I don't get, is how I can see flashes of puck moving brilliance from Stetcher, Hutton, even Pouliot & Biega, but there's no consistency.. like it was a total fluke or something.. can't they watch some video and think, yah that's what I need to be doing? is it a confidence thing? or does a player like Hughes somehow see the play unfolding differently or maybe have the ability to make proper adjustments on the fly? just a level up in that skill, plain & simple I guess.. 

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

what I don't get, is how I can see flashes of puck moving brilliance from Stetcher, Hutton, even Pouliot & Biega, but there's no consistency.. like it was a total fluke or something.. can't they watch some video and think, yah that's what I need to be doing? is it a confidence thing? or does a player like Hughes somehow see the play unfolding differently or maybe have the ability to make proper adjustments on the fly? just a level up in that skill, plain & simple I guess.. 

Honestly it’s less about vision or hockey sense than it is about ability. You only see insane ‘vision’ on display because good players have the ability to skate/stickhandle/power their way into open ice where more time and space is created and therefore easier for them to make a play.

Its not that if you put all those players into one instant scenario, that they’re so inconsistent that they will only make a brilliant play once out of ten tries, while Hughes will make it 5 out of 10 tries. It’s that Hughes will get himself into a better position to make plays due to his abilities, which will showcase his ‘vision’ the way other players can’t

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

Confidence. It’s such a funny thing, but Hughes is the type of player that “knows” if he makes an error he’ll somehow get the puck back, or at least react and prevent a chance the other way. Players like Stech and Hutton have a flash, then try again and err, and don’t recover and get worried they’ll get stapled to the bench.  So their creativity gets a bit stifled in order to ensure they play the “right way” and by the book / within the system. This is always they challenge for most young players, to keep their offensive creativity, while playing within the system for the team. The NHL is such a systems driven game now that if one part breaks down, teams are so quick to take advantage and counter, that an error easily causes a goal against. 

Now I will say this, Hughes game will change in the NHL, his errors will be more costly against pros and the “shinny” game he can play offensively may not come out, given errors in the NHL often end up in your own net. Unless of course Tambellini is right and he is Bobby Orr!

Edited by 40Dangles
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Actualy I beg to differ. Mario's linemates (Pre Jagr) were putting up comparable numbers to the some of the Oilers top guys. The only difference is after Wayne left, Kurri, Anderson, and Tikanen were still productive even after Gretzky got traded. Were they just as good? No they weren't but they were still good nonetheless. Hell, Kurri put up a 100 pt season WITHOUT Gretzky. Mario's linemates on the otherhand turned into nobodies. Its a big exaggeration that Gretzky made EVERYONE better, thats not the case, you're making it out like every guy in the Oilers roster are 30-50 goal scorers but their not, its pretty much the same cast of characters that were scoring, Anderson, Kurri, Tikannen (Messier centred the 1B line). Lemieux had less to work with and it showed on how his teamates careers unfolded. Gretzky turned silver into gold, and Mario turned feces into silver. Same impact. The one guy Lemieux got to play with that was a talent, even without him, Jaromir Jagr is probably a top 10, maybe top 7 player in league history.

Wrong check out semenko and the list of nobodies that Wayne turned into 20 plus goal scorers Lemieux started out as a floater as Don Cherry loved to point out. And looking forward to are new d on the power play

1 hour ago, Cup2022 said:

Wrong check out semenko and the list of nobodies that Wayne turned into 20 plus goal scorers Lemieux started out as a floater as Don Cherry loved to point out. And looking forward to are new d on the power play

You know I said "pretty much" right? Im sure you know what that means. Who cares what Don Cherry says, hes irrelevant. He's just waste of precious tv time in hockey night broadcasts

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

You know I said "pretty much" right? Im sure you know what that means. Who cares what Don Cherry says, hes irrelevant. He's just waste of precious tv time in hockey night broadcasts

I guess you don't care what the mod told you to. :picard:

Could have used Quinn out there tonight. I really hope they do right by Quinn and make sure he is 100% healthy before the play him. At the same time can’t wait to see this guy play. He’s going to have instant chemistry Petterson. The way these 2 think the game is next level. Their IQ is off the charts. 

On 3/16/2019 at 6:56 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Agreed.

We are in stealth tank mode now.  The club is doing the right thing in sitting Hughes and I guarantee management is secretly happy that Hughes is injured just enough to not hit the 10 game plus 1 totals to free up a spot in the Seattle draft.  

Had we been still in the hunt, I would have been upset.  Hughes will make an impact with his great IQ.  

To those that think he wont be able to pull the same moves in the NHL, he first beats his check with his IQ.  Look at his timing of when he makes a deke.  He gets the other player to commit or catches them on the wrong skate and then bang, Hughes is gone.

With his edge work and skating, this will translate.  But it's his IQ that makes it work, just like EP40.  

Hughes lacks anywhere near to EP40's shot, but his role is going to be to create chaos and disrupte the defensive setup of the opposing team.  Drawing the extra man and getting guys like EP40 and Brock a bit more time.  Look at what EP40 can do at the dots with a second of time.  Beat the goalie clean.  

We have lacked a defender that can make a pass or beat a guy with skating to free room on the attack.  This teams transition game is its weakest link.  This is where Hughes comes in.  This is why OJ was drafted.  They have excellent transition games as defenders. 

What's cool IMO is that they both have very different styles of transitioning the puck up to the forwards.  They are going to be harder to defend.  Not many will be able to contain Hughes, but it's not going to often that if Hughes gets contained, that the guy checking OJ will be able to to it very well.  Depth at a key position.  It's going to be awesome.  

Him having average shot is not an issue for me. Look at guys like Duncan Keith, he doesn’t have a great shot at all.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Him having average shot is not an issue for me. Look at guys like Duncan Keith, he doesn’t have a great shot at all.

Nor for me in terms of Quinn and what he should bring to the team.  

But it is one skill that EP40 has that Quinn doesn't.