The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn needs to only play his game and play to his strengths....the Sedins took a while to do this after they figured it out at 24 years old..."they made the decision to play their game and play to their strengths"....QH needs to figure this out sooner than later and his teammates need to adapt to when he rushes the puck. QH is not a defensive defenseman...he needs to excel at being an offensive defenseman in order to do damage.

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hard to blame the sedins. Was a different tougher game back then. I dont think you can question their commitment.

never questioned their commitment but this guy is elite at 20 and owning the league  wait til hes 25 the literal swedish gretzky 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

But now that reality has kicked in again, I think Quinn will have a good year, but it'll be a year of learning as well. He will make many mistakes, but he will learn. Smart kid. I like that he'll probably pair with Tanev, who will give that D pairing some defensive stability while Quinn finds his way. Still, way better D than last year's. 

Quinn will do fine. His skill from the backend is undeniable, and at the level we haven't seen in... well... possibly forever on this team.

But as you say, he will make mistakes. Given his playing style, possibly a lot of them. He needs to be given a long leash to play his game, learn the system and the overall game at this level. He needs to put on at least some muscle as to not get injured those few times he doesn't manage to out outskate the coverage too - though I don't think anyone expects him to actually play a physical game.

In the end, he will be fantastic for us. I do hope our fickle fans temper expectations and allow him the development time he still needs at this level. Adapting as fast as Pettersson would ge great, though unlikely.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Quinn will do fine. His skill from the backend is undeniable, and at the level we haven't seen in... well... possibly forever on this team.

But as you say, he will make mistakes. Given his playing style, possibly a lot of them. He needs to be given a long leash to play his game, learn the system and the overall game at this level. He needs to put on at least some muscle as to not get injured those few times he doesn't manage to out outskate the coverage too - though I don't think anyone expects him to actually play a physical game.

In the end, he will be fantastic for us. I do hope our fickle fans temper expectations and allow him the development time he still needs at this level. Adapting as fast as Pettersson would ge great, though unlikely.

Pettersson will protect him now.

• Haha 1

I think he could put up 40+ points - I think he'll do the opposite of Petey last year and start off slow and turn it up towards the end of the year.  On the PP he'll get the bulk of his points and will be the defacto QB come December.  Most likely will be in the Calder consideration but will finish third in voting.  

It's going to be a learning process, he's going to have to get stronger, battle harder, improve his defensive coverage off the cycle and learn he can't turn the puck over when he's last man back. He's also going to need to improve his shot before he gets 50+ points. These are all the same issues he had in Michigan, I think it's going to be interesting seeing the reaction of people that haven't seen him play on a regular basis as the season progresses. He's going to do a lot of great things, no doubt, but let's maybe pump the breaks on the bobby orr or even Karlsson comparisons for now. There are some areas that need work first.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I don't want them to focus too much on changing Quinn's game...it's what makes him so effective.  Just make sure he's paired with someone who can cover for him when he's doing what he does.  He's silky smooth...would HATE for him to start "thinking" about things rather than just doing them instinctively.  Really gifted players shouldn't be harnessed too much in my opinion.

Really excited to watch this kid this year.  He's shown some true grit too...gets smashed in the mouth but keeps on ticking.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't want them to focus too much on changing Quinn's game...it's what makes him so effective.  Just make sure he's paired with someone who can cover for him when he's doing what he does.  He's silky smooth...would HATE for him to start "thinking" about things rather than just doing them instinctively.  Really gifted players shouldn't be harnessed too much in my opinion.

Really excited to watch this kid this year.  He's shown some true grit too...gets smashed in the mouth but keeps on ticking.

image.jpeg.d9e6e5aeb31d87730f36e475fdf0523c.jpeg

19 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think we all need to temper expectations on Quinn Hughes a little bit. If he's able to net 30 points and ends the season with a not-too-terrible +/-, it'll be a huge win for us. Anything more is just icing on the cake. Not every rookie in their draft +2 can walk into the lineup and do what Petey did. 

Yup, I'm hoping for 30-35 points...with some interesting 'adventures' (coaching opportunities! :lol: ) along the way.

Nice start, 23:07 TOI, one assist, one block, one takeaway.  Really got better as the game went along, I thought he had a couple hairy moments at first defending Draisaitl but then settled down and made nifty defensive plays.  And of course, puck skills off the charts.