The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Adam Larsson will be out 6-8 weeks with a fractured right fibula, the Edmonton Oilers said Thursday.

The defenseman is on long-term injured reserve and will not need surgery. Larsson was injured when he blocked a shot by Vancouver Canucks defenseman Quinn Hughes with 1:01 remaining in the first period of a 3-2 win at Rogers Place on Wednesday. Larsson stayed in the game and played 22:19.

What a bully. First game and he is taking people out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Hughes will be exceptional, but it will take some time. He's already showing flashes of brilliance, the zone exits have been real good. I also think Myers deserves a nod as well. I thought he played a good game against the Oilers, has a heavy shot from the point which has been missing since Salo left.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:03 PM, canuktravella said:

good think petey showed up his first yr of career  unlike sedins taking 5 yrs  hopefully hughes does the same  so pumped for 3 yrs in a row of calder nominees  

Sedins were slow skaters in the beginning. Once they got the speed going they adjusted and could really play the game with impossible passes and elevate the connection of knowing where the other is going to be without looking. Amazing stuff really....Reporters froms weden thought the sedins wouldbe 40-ish points per season players due to their slow skating. :bigblush:

So far, my opinion of Quinn is unchanged from last season:

- top 5 skating abilities in the NHL

- exceptional vision 

- exceptional IQ

- exceptional passing abilities forehand and backhand

- above average puck handling and stick works in both zones

- great character and maturity

- average shot at best

- practically no physicality, a notable concern for net front clearing and playoffs board play

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

- top 5 skating abilities in the NHL

- exceptional vision 

- exceptional IQ

- exceptional passing abilities forehand and backhand

- above average puck handling and stick works in both zones

- great character and maturity

- average shot at best

- practically no physicality, a notable concern for net front clearing and playoffs board play

I agree with all of your points.  He's doing extremely well for such a young player.  He struggled with Draisaitl along the boards all night long.  However, he did strategically apply the body in a couple of situations quite well.  I have no concerns that this will be a long term problem for him and expect him to have it worked out over the next couple of years.  In the meantime, we'll likely see him become even more dominant playing with the puck.  He has such excellent edge control and vision that it's hard not to get excited.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Sedins were slow skaters in the beginning. Once they got the speed going they adjusted and could really play the game with impossible passes and elevate the connection of knowing where the other is going to be without looking. Amazing stuff really....Reporters froms weden thought the sedins wouldbe 40-ish points per season players due to their slow skating. :bigblush:

Playing behind the WCE also gave the Canucks to take their time easing them in.  EP didn't have that luxury.  He was tossed in the deep end of the pool but ended up swimming better than Jason Momoa.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Maddogy said:

Quinn is never going to be a physical beast, and while its unfortunate, he'll eventually learn to use his feet/stick to compensate. I remember reading a scouting report on him in his draft year that he doesn't defend poorly, just differently. We'll have to accept thats simply a limitation of game, just like nobody expects Pettersson to start breaking jaws like Guddy.

yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:20 PM, RogersTowell said:

I agree with all of your points.  He's doing extremely well for such a young player.  He struggled with Draisaitl along the boards all night long.  However, he did strategically apply the body in a couple of situations quite well.  I have no concerns that this will be a long term problem for him and expect him to have it worked out over the next couple of years.  In the meantime, we'll likely see him become even more dominant playing with the puck.  He has such excellent edge control and vision that it's hard not to get excited.

Well he was utilizing his body...his problem was really only that much larger men were shoving him out of position these past games. Its either he gets a better shot or gets bigger if he wants to hit his maximum potential.

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Creativity in offensive zone is one thing, zone entries is another. I want him on PP1 just so that we don’t have to see that stupid drop pass anymore. Just give the puck to Hughes and he will get it in the zone.

Exactly, they're not fooling anyone with that silly drop pass lol

Hughes could be the kind of player who changes the game, the way teams are breaking out and entering the zone. Let him use his creativity to get the puck up ice, teams won't know what the heck to do, expecting that drop pass. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Well he was utilizing his body...his problem was really only that much larger men were shoving him out of position these past games. Its either he gets a better shot or gets bigger if he wants to hit his maximum potential.

I think he will get bigger (weight wise), but not a lot.  His shot has never been all that impressive, so I don't know how much that will improve over time.  His real assets are his incredible vision, passing ability and striking skating ability.

Quinn has probably always been considered 'undersized' at every level of hockey that he has played.  All the family; including the parents, are on the small side for hockey.  I think he is accustomed to having larger players trying to shove him around and has managed to adapt his game to deal with it.  He certainly doesn't have an injury record; so far anyways.  His vision and sharp turns may be what keeps him healthy.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think he will get bigger (weight wise), but not a lot.  His shot has never been all that impressive, so I don't know how much that will improve over time.  His real assets are his incredible vision, passing ability and striking skating ability.

Quinn has probably always been considered 'undersized' at every level of hockey that he has played.  All the family; including the parents, are on the small side for hockey.  I think he is accustomed to having larger players trying to shove him around and has managed to adapt his game to deal with it.  He certainly doesn't have an injury record; so far anyways.  His vision and sharp turns may be what keeps him healthy.

That in of itself is what could be the difference between a Norris winner and a 2nd pairing Offensive playmaking D-man. 

Edited by Sandro17

Surprisingly, I can actually see where the Canucks are coming from in regards to leaving Hughes on PP2 for now. 

The first unit is obviously all about Pettersson. They want the puck in his hands as much as possible and for him to make plays. That can include the zone entry, but it definitely includes everything past that. Hughes is talented enough to have an entire unit flow through him, and that just won't happen on that top unit. Edler is effective on that unit and he doesn't need the entire thing to flow through him, he's just a nice complimentary piece. On the second unit, Hughes get's to control the play and have it run through him. It maximizes everyone's abilities and doesn't put anyone in a lesser position than they can/should be.

With that said, I do want to see what happens when we load up a unit. I'm sure Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat and Miller on the first unit wouldn't be bad either. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's been playing really well. Averaging 22+ mins 2 games into his rookie season, & showing an ability to make things happen.

Its hasn't been perfect, but im really impressed so far. He looks like a difference maker.

Yeah I totally agree. 

I've noticed some people really ripping him down when he makes a defensive error. Like common the dude is a small offensive defender in his rookie year. Of course he will make mistakes, but he'll continue to improve in that area over the years. 

The rest of it has been super impressive so far. Whoa his skating and offensive mind are so great to see in our D. It's been awesome watching him so far and I'm really impressed from what I've seen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/4/2019 at 3:53 AM, FaninMex said:

Adam Larsson will be out 6-8 weeks with a fractured right fibula, the Edmonton Oilers said Thursday.

The defenseman is on long-term injured reserve and will not need surgery. Larsson was injured when he blocked a shot by Vancouver Canucks defenseman Quinn Hughes with 1:01 remaining in the first period of a 3-2 win at Rogers Place on Wednesday. Larsson stayed in the game and played 22:19.

What a bully. First game and he is taking people out.

Wonder what speed his hardest shot would clock in at?  Clearly he can hammer pucks though of course someone like Eddie's shot would probably be even more devastating