The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On 5/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, komodo0921 said:

Last season really showed Vancouver fans that there's something to be excited about in Jett Woo and makes his 37th OA selection a steal.

It seems concerns about being injury prone have been answered and it's very positive. He only missed 6 games last season (issues unknown) and was a very consistent producer. His offense exploded from 0.57 ppg to 1.6 ppg. That's a big time jump and he'll only be 19 at the start of next season which leaves a lot of time to make more improvements.

He also was able to maintain his physical presence which is an attribute we really need on our blueline. 

In this case, I totally agree with your strategy of patience. There's a big opportunity here to develop a star defenseman beyond his projected ceiling. Rushing him could disrupt the positive strides he's made and stall his development.

If caution is taken by the organization, Jett Woo could be a true diamond in the rough and the one 30 other teams regret passing on.

His stats were inflated by way of playing for a dominant team. His numbers are expected to drop this season. Nonetheless, it is more likely than not that his ceiling was underestimated by many scouts.  I don't expect him to be an offensive D in the NHL, but rather a jack of all trades 2nd pairing D. 

16 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

His stats were inflated by way of playing for a dominant team. His numbers are expected to drop this season. Nonetheless, it is more likely than not that his ceiling was underestimated by many scouts.  I don't expect him to be an offensive D in the NHL, but rather a jack of all trades 2nd pairing D. 

Who expects this? You?

I don't.

I wonder if actual NHL scouts do.

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Who expects this? You?

I don't.

I wonder if actual NHL scouts do.

I'd say this is a fair assumption based on being part of a very offensively gifted team. It's hard to gauge (for me) how good the CGY Hitmen will be next season but I certainly wouldn't expect an increase in production (I don't see him having a drop off either). I think if you ask most prospect savvy people(including scouts) they probably wouldn't project Jett Woo to be an offensive catalyst when he reaches the NHL, His game is predicated more on a 2-Way level with added physicality and leadership qualities. The increase in offense at the Jr level is obviously much welcomed as it's shown everyone that he indeed has skill on both sides of the puck. Jett's progressed very well so far and looking forward he could be a candidate for the "C" next year in CGY coupled with hopefully a strong WJC. I'm personally bullish on him and am hoping he becomes something like what we had with Bieksa pre-achilles injuries.

edit: For those who are into making highlight videos, can we please get one of Woo?!?!?!

Edited by cube`
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What about loaning Woo to a SHL/KHL team? Better skill development there playing with men. Bigger ice, less hitting, more skating.

Imagine the Hitmen side: trading for a guy and then having him leave the league.

:lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Imagine the Hitmen side: trading for a guy and then having him leave the league.

:lol:

It's about skill development. North American hockey is pretty brainless and not so much focused on developing skill per se. 200 foot coaching is fairly straight forward, Woo could pick that up fast. If he goes to the SHL/KHL he could hone PP skills and skating. Less crash and bang there to, ie save his shoulders for when he gets here.

6 hours ago, cube` said:

I'd say this is a fair assumption based on being part of a very offensively gifted team. It's hard to gauge (for me) how good the CGY Hitmen will be next season but I certainly wouldn't expect an increase in production (I don't see him having a drop off either). I think if you ask most prospect savvy people(including scouts) they probably wouldn't project Jett Woo to be an offensive catalyst when he reaches the NHL, His game is predicated more on a 2-Way level with added physicality and leadership qualities. The increase in offense at the Jr level is obviously much welcomed as it's shown everyone that he indeed has skill on both sides of the puck. Jett's progressed very well so far and looking forward he could be a candidate for the "C" next year in CGY coupled with hopefully a strong WJC. I'm personally bullish on him and am hoping he becomes something like what we had with Bieksa pre-achilles injuries.

edit: For those who are into making highlight videos, can we please get one of Woo?!?!?!

I don't know if I expect an increase in production but I don't think it was inflated either this year. He was playing behind Josh Brooks most of the year and when he went down with injury was when Woo started to make some noise in the league. Going to Calgary will be like going to a new system and so there will be a slight learning curve but it'll be good for him as he can adapt to a new change of scenery and learn new things. If he can increase his production a small amount that would be excellent for his development but not necessarily expected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 12:29 AM, Pure961089 said:

Bold Prediction.  Woo makes the team out of training camp this year.  

Can he start in Utica this year?

Edited by J-23

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No. Juniors only.

This is why he won't make the team this year.  Too risky.  He would have to blow everyone away in camp and make it impossible to send him down.  They don't want another Virtanen situation. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

This is why he won't make the team this year.  Too risky.  He would have to blow everyone away in camp and make it impossible to send him down.  They don't want another Virtanen situation. 

He can always be sent to Juniors later. What we should have done with Virtanen

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 12:29 AM, Pure961089 said:

Bold Prediction.  Woo makes the team out of training camp this year.  

I do like bold predictions...but there is very little chance of this happening, our D depth has gotten way better this year;

Hughes

Edler

Myers

Stecher

Tanev

Benn

Juolevi

Fantenberg

Teves

Raffertey

Biega

Sautner

Right now Woo probably slots in somewhere in the bottom 4 of those guys....and then there is Rathbone....

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, Dixon Ward said:

The problem with the Virtanen situation was that there was miscommunication for his off-season trainer. He packed on like 30lbs of muscle because he was told to get stronger like a power forward but the extra mass slowed his skating down. That’s why when he did go down to Utica, Travis Green worked his skating and conditioning hard to get him in proper physical form.

Thats not the same as Woo.