The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

FWIW, the original discussion was packaging a goalie for a young, 2nd pair, right D. Not a pick.

And why does everyone assume we wouldn't sign a capable backup for Marky or 1B for Demko?

Cheers Agent. 

I do like the idea of getting a 2nd pair right D. And I think we could sign a capable back up.

But it's a gamble. A calculated risk of getting maximum return for your assets. 4 months ago I would have taken the offer of Marky for a young 2nd pair D-man in a heartbeat.

My concern is, that the team progress now seen could stall, if it turns slightly pear shaped , and then the knives could be out for Benning... hopefully only on CDC...

Demko needs more time, and as good as we all hope he may end up being, I  don't think he is ready to be the starter...for a few more years..

Canucks took their time with Schneider, and it seemed to work, so I hope they give Demko close to similar time to develop. (says me with zero knowledge of development curves).

If he blows the door open next season, trade Marky by all means ahead of ED (although it may be hard to trade him leading up to ED, as same issue for the rest of the teams, thus return may be poor), but if Demko is still developing modest, he may not need to be protected?

I get, we are going to lose somebody at ED, but hope we don't return to the Marky/Nilsson gong show...

In the end, unlike some I have full faith in this management. They are fully aware of the situation, and will make whatever decision necessary/available for the team.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I don’t know how to compare his top speed to zegras and Hughes as they aren’t in the same league but I would put him in the same tier. His skating is one of his greatest strengths imo, his speed is very noticeable when you watch him play. It stands out and sticks with you.

haha are you referring to a comparison I made of a cross of point and konecny in an earlier post? Or did you think the same on your own? Yea it’s tough to project as Point has had a much more favourable development path, but that’s the potential / ceiling I see with Krebs with intangibles and similarities in style to Konecny. 

Aha yessss I’m so high on the kid think he’s a superstar just unable to fully showcase his abilities. It really is hard to assess him though ya.

I've seen this elsewhere too. And I agree with it. I guess it depends where you think he falls between Point & Konecny. For me he's clearly a top 10 pick.

I'd be happy getting Krebs. 

• Upvote 1

Well I just ran the sim as I'm pretty sure we're locked into this spot lol. Ran it 10 times and picked 10th 5 of those times 9th 4 times and 3rd once. I'm gonna assume we pick tenth. Here is my prediction. 

1st Detroit selects Jack Hughes american boy wonder

2nd MTL they deserve this for playing right to the bitter end fellow Finn Kappo Kakko and Jesperi Kotkaniemi united 

3rd Edmonton because..... Edmonton! They pick Byram and ruin his development by putting him straight into the NHL because..... Edmonton.

4th Avs cuz hockey gods.. They grab Turcotte he's the safe pick and if I'm them I'm swinging for the fences with their other 1st. 

5th LA they pick Dach he's a prototypical LA PWF  

6th NJ Cozens him and hall 1,2 punch I think would be far too tempting.

7th Buffalo Podkolzin I think he would do very well there, after Okposo their rw depth is kinda meh and they really need a 200' player. 

8th NYR Zegras Bedford NY kid bet he grew up dreaming of being a Ranger. 

9th ANA Their like the Commodore 64 of hockey teams antiquated big old and slow and they know it I think they take a swing here on Newhook to usher them into the 21st century.

And finally, at 10 I think the 2 obvious choices here are Krebs and Boldy. Krebs I have thrown under the bus enough for only playing one side of the puck. My gut tells me Boldy is our man. 6'2 190 LW he plays the most complete game of any of the players available at that spot. JB loves a complete player. Even though my heart tells me I want an elite goal scorer Caufield or a RHD Soderstrom/Sieder. Boldy just screams JB pick to me.  And I'm good with that. I am really starting to come around to the notion that his ability to work below the hashes and hockey IQ will make him a perfect fit for Pete and Brock. his speed is marginal but that is ok watching him reminds me of Daniel Sedin hes a cerebral player who owns the ice from the dots down he often doesn't have to make a flashy play because hes already made the right play. He seems to consistantly set players up for easy layups or find the open ice to be all alone back door. I think we may have to wait a year or 2 for him to mature and work on his skating. But I think he can get to where it will be good enough. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Well I just ran the sim as I'm pretty sure we're locked into this spot lol. Ran it 10 times and picked 10th 5 of those times 9th 4 times and 3rd once. I'm gonna assume we pick tenth. Here is my prediction. 

1st Detroit selects Jack Hughes american boy wonder

2nd MTL they deserve this for playing right to the bitter end fellow Finn Kappo Kakko and Jesperi Kotkaniemi united 

3rd Edmonton because..... Edmonton! They pick Byram and ruin his development by putting him straight into the NHL because..... Edmonton.

4th Avs cuz hockey gods.. They grab Turcotte he's the safe pick and if I'm them I'm swinging for the fences with their other 1st. 

5th LA they pick Dach he's a prototypical LA PWF  

6th NJ Cozens him and hall 1,2 punch I think would be far too tempting.

7th Buffalo Podkolzin I think he would do very well there, after Okposo their rw depth is kinda meh and they really need a 200' player. 

8th NYR Zegras Bedford NY kid bet he grew up dreaming of being a Ranger. 

9th ANA Their like the Commodore 64 of hockey teams antiquated big old and slow and they know it I think they take a swing here on Newhook to usher them into the 21st century.

And finally, at 10 I think the 2 obvious choices here are Krebs and Boldy. Krebs I have thrown under the bus enough for only playing one side of the puck. My gut tells me Boldy is our man. 6'2 190 LW he plays the most complete game of any of the players available at that spot. JB loves a complete player. Even though my heart tells me I want an elite goal scorer Caufield or a RHD Soderstrom/Sieder. Boldy just screams JB pick to me.  And I'm good with that. I am really starting to come around to the notion that his ability to work below the hashes and hockey IQ will make him a perfect fit for Pete and Brock. his speed is marginal but that is ok watching him reminds me of Daniel Sedin hes a cerebral player who owns the ice from the dots down he often doesn't have to make a flashy play because hes already made the right play. He seems to consistantly set players up for easy layups or find the open ice to be all alone back door. I think we may have to wait a year or 2 for him to mature and work on his skating. But I think he can get to where it will be good enough. 

With Philly being ahead on ROW, we’re either 8 or 9th, depending on how us and Anaheim do in our last games, of which we’ll probably take either Krebs or Boldy. 

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

The problem with Krebs is not the argument that "he should've had an additional xx number of points" if he were on a better team it's the fact that he is on a crap team and will be for the forseeable future unless another team trades for him. I'm not a huge fan of the WHL/OHL/QMJHL overall as a development league which I've made clear in some of my previous posts but the fact that he's on a losing team just makes it that much worse and is no good for his development. It's not where you are in your development in your draft year, it's what you will continue to do in your D+1 and D+2. I'm not saying that he won't develop next year, I just think being on a bad team will severely hamper his development.

Valid points they have lots of issues to in regards to a stadium to play in I believe as well.

im sure that will al go into consideration when selecting him! It would be smart for them to trade him tho anyways.

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Both Ottawa and St. Louis probably want a veteran for their young players. In addition, both want to be competitive for next year and goaltending has been their weakness. 

Ottawa has Craig Anderson & Mike Condon for ''veteran'' presence. Jake Allan in St Louis.

All under contract next year.  

And the context started with teams that could use Demko as a prospect...

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Agent. 

I do like the idea of getting a 2nd pair right D. And I think we could sign a capable back up.

But it's a gamble. A calculated risk of getting maximum return for your assets. 4 months ago I would have taken the offer of Marky for a young 2nd pair D-man in a heartbeat.

My concern is, that the team progress now seen could stall, if it turns slightly pear shaped , and then the knives could be out for Benning... hopefully only on CDC...

Demko needs more time, and as good as we all hope he may end up being, I  don't think he is ready to be the starter...for a few more years..

Canucks took their time with Schneider, and it seemed to work, so I hope they give Demko close to similar time to develop. (says me with zero knowledge of development curves).

If he blows the door open next season, trade Marky by all means ahead of ED (although it may be hard to trade him leading up to ED, as same issue for the rest of the teams, thus return may be poor), but if Demko is still developing modest, he may not need to be protected?

I get, we are going to lose somebody at ED, but hope we don't return to the Marky/Nilsson gong show...

In the end, unlike some I have full faith in this management. They are fully aware of the situation, and will make whatever decision necessary/available for the team.

To the first point - Exactly.

As for the second, precisely why I think if management does go down this road, Demko is the one likely moved. If they think Marky can be the starter for the next +/- 5 years, there's a LOT of time to draft, trade for or develop (DiPietro?) Marky's replacement.

Under ideal conditions (no ED) we'd likely retain both, extending Marky and then assuming Demko becomes the starter we hope/assume he will become, trade Marky in 3'ish years. We don't have that luxury.

It's also pretty plain to see that as constructed, the goalie position is where we're most exposed for the ED. I'm merely suggesting we course correct that and do everything we can to shape it towards a 3rd line winger if at all possible as it's a far more replaceable position.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

VAN
5'10"
161 lbs
17.9 yrs
USA

DET
6'4"
207 lbs
18.1 yrs
Finland

PHI
5'11"
165 lbs
17.8 yrs
Russia

COLott.png
6'0"
180 lbs
17.8 yrs
Canada

LA
6'3"
176 lbs
18.2 yrs
Canada

I have to admit that it took 3 try's to get this result.  Wouldn't be great if this actually happened.  Here's hopping. :towel::canucks:
Edited by dpn1

If Anahiem wins tonight and we lose in regulation then we finish in 8th place, which could be very possible. Anahiem plays LA who have been very bad this year. While we play St. Louis who are one of the hottest teams in the NHL right now and could still win the division. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

To the first point - Exactly.

As for the second, precisely why I think if management does go down this road, Demko is the one likely moved. If they think Marky can be the starter for the next +/- 5 years, there's a LOT of time to draft, trade for or develop (DiPietro?) Marky's replacement.

Under ideal conditions (no ED) we'd likely retain both, extending Marky and then assuming Demko becomes the starter we hope/assume he will become, trade Marky in 3'ish years. We don't have that luxury.

It's also pretty plain to see that as constructed, the goalie position is where we're most exposed for the ED. I'm merely suggesting we course correct that and do everything we can to shape it towards a 3rd line winger if at all possible as it's a far more replaceable position.

I'm not sold on DiPietro just yet.  Demko has a much bigger upside and is a much bigger goalie who can handle being a full time starter.  Marky has been great this year and deserves an extension, but I wouldn't trade Demko anytime soon regardless of how well Marky is playing.  We have two years until the expansion draft.  The best thing Benning could do is sign Marky to an extension this summer and let Demko get the experience ala Schneider as a backup for a couple years.

There is no guarantee that Seattle will take a 31 year old Markstrom if he was left available.  And if it was a possibility then we could trade him next summer.  I'd want to see another full year of Markstrom as well as Demko getting 20-25 games for at least a year before we make any decisions.  If Demko is lights out next year then I would prefer to keep him so he can grow with our young core versus keeping a 31 year old Marky.  

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not sold on DiPietro just yet.  Demko has a much bigger upside and is a much bigger goalie who can handle being a full time starter.  Marky has been great this year and deserves an extension, but I wouldn't trade Demko anytime soon regardless of how well Marky is playing.  We have two years until the expansion draft.  The best thing Benning could do is sign Marky to an extension this summer and let Demko get the experience ala Schneider as a backup for a couple years.

There is no guarantee that Seattle will take a 31 year old Markstrom if he was left available.  And if it was a possibility then we could trade him next summer.  I'd want to see another full year of Markstrom as well as Demko getting 20-25 games for at least a year before we make any decisions.  If Demko is lights out next year then I would prefer to keep him so he can grow with our young core versus keeping a 31 year old Marky.  

I never said you needed to be sold on DiPietro. Clearly we'd be signing a UFA(s) as a stop gap between whichever goalie we keep and whoever the next starter is.

Again, we don't really have two years. Markstrom needs to be re-signed next year and isn't going to take a 1 year deal to limit our ED exposure.

Taking 33 year old Fleury seemed to work out alright for Vegas.

I'd love to see another year as well. And again, in a perfect world, without an expiring Markstrom and/or looming ED, that's likely what we'd do. That however is not reality. The longer you wait, the more the ED starts reducing trade values/you risk losing one for nothing.

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I never said you needed to be sold on DiPietro. Clearly we'd be signing a UFA(s) as a stop gap between whichever goalie we keep and whoever the next starter is.

Again, we don't really have two years. Markstrom needs to be re-signed next year and isn't going to take a 1 year deal to limit our ED exposure.

Taking 33 year old Fleury seemed to work out alright for Vegas.

I'd love to see another year as well. And again, in a perfect world, without an expiring Markstrom and/or looming ED, that's likely what we'd do. That however is not reality. The longer you wait, the more the ED starts reducing trade values/you risk losing one for nothing.

Fleury was a #1 overall pick and a Stanley Cup Champion, absolutely no comparison between him and Marky.  Marky will be re-signed this summer I think.  JB will not let him become a UFA next year.  So we sign him to an extension and play it out for a year and see what happens.  If Demko is lights out in 20-25 games then you obviously keep him as he will be part of our future young core and then you explore a trade for Marky.  If Marky can't be traded you protect Demko and let the chips fall where they may.  if you really want to keep Marky you simply make a deal with Seattle like what happened with Vegas, i.e. giving them draft picks.  

Demko can't be traded at the moment as he doesn't have much value, similar to Juolevi.  You'd be trading low on a potential franchise goalie.  No way that happens.  Look at Marky.  He's only getting into his prime at age 29.  Demko is still only 23 and hasn't even played a handful of games in the NHL yet.  His future looks bright and his NHL career hasn't even started yet.  No way Benning trades him now or in the near future simply to avoid losing an asset at the expansion draft.

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Very wrong sir. Lol

Yeah so what would we get for Demko right now?  And what I really meant to say is his value is a lot lower right now than it would be at this time next year if he's lights out next year after playing 20-25 games...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Very wrong sir. Lol

Have to agree with this @Elias Pettersson, he's looked pretty damn good for an injury shortened cup of coffee at the NHL level, behind a porous and also injured D and has major pedigree to back that up. He has value IMO.

The closer we let it get to the ED, though, the more it alters market values.