The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't see how he could be any safer than Beagle.  Course I also felt Rousell would've been the far worse of the FA signings at the start of the year, so what the **** do I know?:P

Without salary retention, even if Chiapet was still GM of the Oilers, no GM is going to want Schaller unless a crap salary was coming back.

Loved Beagle, but felt his very good SC showing had turned him into an expensive signing. The four year term was part of that high price tag. Schaller's relative obscurity plus a two year deal seemed easier to swallow. As I said earlier, I knew nothing about Schaller and went on his stats plus complimentary revues out of Boston.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, J-P said:

Schaller actually showed up yesterday against NJ and really made his 6 minutes TOI count with several heavy hits and good forecheck. Don't know what got in to him, he just got in the lineup between the warmup and opening face-off as well... If he had played like this all season things would be different for him.

That was more in-line with how he played the last 2 years in Boston. 

Not sure what was going on with him earlier this year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That was more in-line with how he played the last 2 years in Boston. 

Not sure what was going on with him earlier this year.

To be fair to him, he was used in a very odd role that didn't suit him at all.

When Green placed him besides Bo Horvat for a long string of games, Schaller was playing out of his element, instead of being an energy, crash and bang kind of player, he was used to create offense and shut down the opposition, which wasn't his role at all in Boston.

Frankly, at times this year Green's deployment of a group players have been puzzling and Schaller was one of them and I think that is why Schaller started off so slowly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Frankly, at times this year Green's deployment of a group players have been puzzling and Schaller was one of them and I think that is why Schaller started off so slowly.

To be fair, between injuries and a lack of actual top 6 W'er depth, I'm pretty sure some of that has been out of necessity and lack of options, not choice.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I know people said he had a disappointing season, but 10 points for a fourth liner is fairly standard, and was good defensively, while providing some good mins on the penalty kill.

Not saying he is safe, but considering Roussel likely starts on IR in the fall, Schaller gets a second chance.  We don't have much grit in the system besides him, MacEwen, Virtanen and Gadjovich.

Wouldn't mind seeing him be a 13th forward.

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know people said he had a disappointing season, but 10 points for a fourth liner is fairly standard, and was good defensively, while providing some good mins on the penalty kill.

Not saying he is safe, but considering Roussel likely starts on IR in the fall, Schaller gets a second chance.  We don't have much grit in the system besides him, MacEwen, Virtanen and Gadjovich.

Agreed on the points but he really didn't play well the first 3/4'ish of the season for whatever reason.

FAR too much is made over a guy making $1.9m for a total of two years though regardless of how 'meh' his play was most of the year.

Best case, we get last 1/4 of the season Schaller back next year. Worst case, he's 13th F or waived to Utica and off the books next summer :bored:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agreed on the points but he really didn't play well the first 3/4'ish of the season for whatever reason.

FAR too much is made over a guy making $1.9m for a total of two years though regardless of how 'meh' his play was most of the year.

Best case, we get last 1/4 of the season Schaller back next year. Worst case, he's 13th F or waived to Utica and off the books next summer :bored:

Agreed. Schaller actually had a mini bump to his offense at the end of the year, but his first 3/4 was horrible. I think the expectations came from his 12 goals last year, not his 4th line role this year.

It wasn't people who said that Schaller had a poor season, it was Travis Green.  And he said this by not playing him for the majority of the season, even sometimes when he had no other option but to call up another forward from Utica.  This was until the last few games of the season, when Green suddenly seemed to see something in Schaller's play that he liked.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Can anybody tell me what this guy is doing so much better this year than last year to have made himself a regular on the fourth line?  I do think he's playing just fine this year, but I can't recall what he was doing  last year that Green disliked so much.

I looked at Schaller's first 20 games and he played a lot of games out of his TOI class.

7 games he played 15+ mins (when he was lined up as Bo Horvat's wing) and another 7 games where he played around 13 mins as a third line player.

In Boston he was shelted and played a consistent grinding/energy role beside Kuraly and Accari which made him an effective fourth line player.  But he was elevated up the lineup and placed in very odd situations that forced him out of his comfort and usual role on the team.   TG deployed Schaller in weird positions and ultimately partially Schaller wasn't ready to play the tempo Green demanded of his players.

Seems like both sides have found a good spot for him going forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Schaller has been a rock star so far this year. This is what Boston fans told us he could be.

If he keeps this up for the season...he will be a god send. He helps make the 4th line one of the best ones in the league with Beagle and Motte. Their work ethic is crazy...dogs on a bone....forecheck damn hard.  

So far this year loving his game.  Good on him to get back on track after a ton of criticism last year.

• Cheers 1