The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Not trolling. There’s just way too much off based optimism on what Virtanen will become. I am not sure if people are just trying to justify one of the worst top 6 picks in Canucks history or they are watching the wrong player that I am, but some of these posts are quite the head scratchers.

Did you watch last season? Like, most or all of the games?  I saw Jake really start looking like a force out there starting about half way through the season. By the 2/3rds point he was leading the team in take aways.  And he also started playing confidently with the puck.  He may never be the offensive player he was in the WHL but he is definitely learning the NHL game and is on an upward trajectory.   He will definitely be better than Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier, combined.  Can you name one player in the NHL with his speed and size, let alone scoring potential?  He is a new kind of beast.  And a late bloomer.  He scores 20 this season, btw.

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Did you watch last season? Like, most or all of the games?  I saw Jake really start looking like a force out there starting about half way through the season. By the 2/3rds point he was leading the team in take aways.  And he also started playing confidently with the puck.  He may never be the offensive player he was in the WHL but he is definitely learning the NHL game and is on an upward trajectory.   He will definitely be better than Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier, combined.  Can you name one player in the NHL with his speed and size, let alone scoring potential?  He is a new kind of beast.  And a late bloomer.  He scores 20 this season, btw.

How in the heck do these off season “fishers” get a license?  :o

1 hour ago, xereau said:

There were a number of games last year where he was the dominant player on the ice. With a tad better finish he will score 20 goals. How many goals he scores might be less important than the space he creates from his speed and his physical play. There could be a fight to be Jake's line mates this year. 

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There were a number of games last year where he was the dominant player on the ice. With a tad better finish he will score 20 goals. How many goals he scores might be less important than the space he creates from his speed and his physical play. There could be a fight to be Jake's line mates this year. 

Oh yeah, he could be making a lot of room for Pettersson.  You know who was an under rated play making winger when he was here?  Kassian.  He hooked that puck out front and back to the points better than most forwards I have seen on this team, simply by being first, and the strongest in the corner.  If Jake can learn how to set other guys up, oh boy.

9 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Wow! I can’t believe how delusional the lot of you are. The dude can’t even receive a pass when it’s slightly behind him....

Even the twins perfect passes to him he can’t receive without slowing down considerably. 

He just has extremely poor vision unlike Bertuzzi and Neely. You can’t fix that. Should have cut our losses instead of re - signing him. 

Heck, Steve Bernier and Taylor Pyatt probably did more than Jake ever will...

I can’t believe people actually think he is going to be a beast. Lol

The puck's speed isn't the same as his speed, if he has to slow down to receive the pass it's cause if he kept skating at his current speed he would have left the puck behind. Lol.

Virt lost his confidence and became pretty confused with WD.  He also went down the wrong road in terms of strength and fitness (tried to get stronger at the cost of losing overall fitness).  With a lot of that now behind him, it should come back to his skills and attributes.  The points will come but I see him being more important than that.  

It was pretty obvious that we'd have to be patient with Virtanen while some of the other picks around him shine.  But at this point the gamble may still be worth it.  I see a mature Virtanen being a key player for a serious cup run.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:20 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

Wow! I can’t believe how delusional the lot of you are. The dude can’t even receive a pass when it’s slightly behind him....

Even the twins perfect passes to him he can’t receive without slowing down considerably. 

He just has extremely poor vision unlike Bertuzzi and Neely. You can’t fix that. Should have cut our losses instead of re - signing him. 

Heck, Steve Bernier and Taylor Pyatt probably did more than Jake ever will...

I can’t believe people actually think he is going to be a beast. Lol

First things first - I think it's fair to wait until a player is pushing 25 before contemplating his ceiling.  Especially for a power forward.  Virtanen is 21.  Bertuzzi was 26 when he finally started conquering the league.

Second - you would "cut our losses" instead of signing Virt to a cheap contract?!!!  There were games he dominated but he just needs to get consistency to his game.  Dude, he's 21!

Third - Probably shouldn't bring Taylor Pyatt into any derogatory statements.  For what he's been through in life, he deserves a lifetime pass on all further NHL criticisms......just for decency sake. 

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

First things first - I think it's fair to wait until a player is pushing 25 before contemplating his ceiling.  Especially for a power forward.  Virtanen is 21.  Bertuzzi was 26 when he finally started conquering the league.

Second - you would "cut our losses" instead of signing Virt to a cheap contract?!!!  There were games he dominated but he just needs to get consistency to his game.  Dude, he's 21!

Third - Probably shouldn't bring Taylor Pyatt into any derogatory statements.  For what he's been through in life, he deserves a lifetime pass on all further NHL criticisms......just for decency sake. 

Tomatoes is a trolling twat - likley Oncewasacanucksfan or some other long banned waste of banter.

On 2018-07-31 at 12:59 PM, xereau said:

Oh yeah, he could be making a lot of room for Pettersson.  You know who was an under rated play making winger when he was here?  Kassian.  He hooked that puck out front and back to the points better than most forwards I have seen on this team, simply by being first, and the strongest in the corner.  If Jake can learn how to set other guys up, oh boy.

The play is going to die right when it hits Virtanen’s stick. No matter how much Pettersen gift wraps a perfect pass/play, Virtanen either doesn’t see it coming behind him and doesn’t take the pass cleanly and then gets stripped or he takes the pass poorly and bobbles the puck or makes a poor play and loses it instantly. 

Exactly the same as Pyatt and Bernier. Nothing like Bertuzzi, Neely etc. 

He doesnt have the hockey sense to be a beast. Sorry, not sure what you guys have been watching.

On 2018-07-31 at 5:48 PM, N7Nucks said:

The puck's speed isn't the same as his speed, if he has to slow down to receive the pass it's cause if he kept skating at his current speed he would have left the puck behind. Lol.

No, a lot of the great players know where the puck is coming from during a pass and can just take it and run. Sometimes there’s no room and you have to pass it slightly behind your target in order to get the pass through. Smarter players realize this and can take the pass without losing speed at all.

Virtanen can’t receive anything that isn’t a perfect pass basically. Kind of sad actually. He even screws up perfect Sedin passes right on his stick sometimes. I guess he doesn’t expect the pass coming or something because there’s no way he can make that same pass so assumes no one else can do it? Lol I don’t know. He is just sad. Either way, he won’t be key to any of our future cup winning teams, that’s for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

The play is going to die right when it hits Virtanen’s stick. No matter how much Pettersen gift wraps a perfect pass/play, Virtanen either doesn’t see it coming behind him and doesn’t take the pass cleanly and then gets stripped or he takes the pass poorly and bobbles the puck or makes a poor play and loses it instantly. 

a cool story told from behind the lenses of a pair of crap goggles.

Virtanen lead the team in takeaways - with 51 - 20 more than anyone else on this team (in limited minutes) - but apparently lacks vision, and hockey intelligence lel.

He lead the forward group with 156 hits.

He was 19th on the team with 44.8% ozone starts (15th among regulars).  His corsi was 49.4%, which was 5th best among Canuck regulars.

His 10 goals were all at even-strength, playing less than 12 minutes/game, with primarily defensive zone assignments.

21 year old.

2 years x 1.25 is a great deal for what he brings.

32 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Exactly the same as Pyatt and Bernier. Nothing like Bertuzzi, Neely etc. 

I definitely fear the Pyatt comparable and hope it doesn’t turn out t be true.

It wasn’t hockey sense as much as a lack of a motor and drive to consistently live up to his skill set.

I will never forget the game that Pyatt for his nose bloodied and for pissed off.  He turned into a beast and drove the net shrugging off massive defenders like they were bantam players.  It was a glimpse of the player he could be.

Next game he was Tayler Pyatt again.

Virtanen could well be one of those guys that gives really nice stretches and then disappears for a quarter of a season.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, jimmyking8888 said:

Very good deal for the Canucks.   Jake deserves more ice time this year. Double the ice time ,double the goals.

right

so he got 11:59 toi last season

and you think is should increase to approximately 24 minutes

so he can score 20 goals :P

are you proposing brock's ice time is reduced to allow this ?

doubling his ice team seems silly to me

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen lead the team in takeaways - with 51 - 20 more than anyone else on this team (in limited minutes) - but apparently lacks vision, and hockey intelligence lel.

He was 19th on the team with 44.8% ozone starts (15th among regulars).  His corsi was 49.4%, which was 5th best among Canuck regulars.

His 10 goals were all at even-strength, playing less than 12 minutes/game, with primarily defensive zone assignments.

21 year old.

Sooner than later, Jake will turn those who wish to remain harsh critics into whiny trolls unless they start to acknowledge all the positive things he does on the ice.   What spoke volumes for me was how the strength of this opposition increased as the season progressed - Green basically trusting him more and he responded in spades.   

I know a lot of publications/bloggers are calling this the year that Horvat "breaks out" but I think a dark horse in terms of not only the Canucks but the entire league is Jake Virtanen.   

19 hours ago, oldnews said:

21 year old.

with those stats, he should have been played more...

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sooner than later, Jake will turn those who wish to remain harsh critics into whiny trolls unless they start to acknowledge all the positive things he does on the ice.   What spoke volumes for me was how the strength of this opposition increased as the season progressed - Green basically trusting him more and he responded in spades.   

I know a lot of publications/bloggers are calling this the year that Horvat "breaks out" but I think a dark horse in terms of not only the Canucks but the entire league is Jake Virtanen.   

1. Is it possible to have a "break out" season playing on the 3rd line in a shutdown role?

2. How many more points are realistic in this role for the upcoming season?

3. Will he be able to become a scoring power forward playing in the top 6 over the next two years, given his hockey IQ and lack of vision?

4. Are there comparables out there (power forwards) taking as much development time as Jake has been taken so far?

5. Most important question: Will he be able to become an "every night player"?

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

1. Is it possible to have a "break out" season playing on the 3rd line in a shutdown role?

2. How many more points are realistic in this role for the upcoming season?

3. Will he be able to become a scoring power forward playing in the top 6 over the next two years, given his hockey IQ and lack of vision?

4. Are there comparables out there (power forwards) taking as much development time as Jake has been taken so far?

5. Most important question: Will he be able to become an "every night player"?

Explain how a player who lead the team in takeaways and by a lot lacks vision? Serious question.

Archived