The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hanifin 6Yr, 4.95 AAV

Al-mo

Not gonna lie, this might be a fantastic deal as early as next season. Playing with Giordano might help evolve his game. 5 mil is great value given what other players are getting. He NEEDS to be better offensively though. His defense is suspect and his offense isn't much better right now. 30 points isn't terrible but given how poor his defense is it's not ideal either. He needs to either become better defensively or start producing more. Cause right now he's a liability defensively and doesn't make up for it with an overload of points.

I think its a great deal for both parties involved. Flames take the more risk in this deal, that being said, Hanifin has proven he can play. The nice thing for Calgary is if they did the bridge deal, and Hannifin over achieves, they could be shelling out an extra 1.5-2 per season.

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Yep, he'll get hurt too. Mind I'd rather have him than Marky.

I still can't believe we went from Loui ans Sneids to this crap.

Last season...

Schneider   40 games 2.93GAA .907SV%

Markstrom 60 games 2.71GAA .912SV%

Smith          55 games 2.65GAA .916SV%

Pretty much a wash.

I'm old fashion and I still am weary of any player transitioning from East to West. Some players perform better in the West then the East vice versa. His numbers are offensively strong but that's on a Eastern Team who plays in front of blowup dolls. Calgary will be a great test and I hope Calgary gamble goes like Trumps hair messed up. 

4 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

I'm old fashion and I still am weary of any player transitioning from East to West. Some players perform better in the West then the East vice versa. His numbers are offensively strong but that's on a Eastern Team who plays in front of blowup dolls. Calgary will be a great test and I hope Calgary gamble goes like Trumps hair messed up. 

Lol. BlowUp Dolls. Good one.

I liked Noah when he was a Hurricane but worried about his regression over past two years in terms of his D play.    I was dead-set against the Canucks trying to get him with their pick or any young prospect as I was not sold on Noah being an upgrade over, say, the player they got in this past draft (unknown at that point, I had hoped Dobson but never dreamed of Hughes) nor someone like OJ.   

I think this COULD be a good deal for the Flames.   I would like to see Noah get back to the steps he took in his rookie year.   Peters seemed to be frustrated with him a lot last year - perhaps he can get the message through somewhere in the next six.

49 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I liked Noah when he was a Hurricane but worried about his regression over past two years in terms of his D play.    I was dead-set against the Canucks trying to get him with their pick or any young prospect as I was not sold on Noah being an upgrade over, say, the player they got in this past draft (unknown at that point, I had hoped Dobson but never dreamed of Hughes) nor someone like OJ.   

I think this COULD be a good deal for the Flames.   I would like to see Noah get back to the steps he took in his rookie year.   Peters seemed to be frustrated with him a lot last year - perhaps he can get the message through somewhere in the next six.

its risky tho don't you think? thats a lot of term and $ to bank on future play, because his stats so far on their own aren't quite there yet for this big a contract. 

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That's the thing -- I don't think anyone can claim this is a good or bad deal right now because there's too much unknown still.  Peters obviously had input and thereby wanted him so that's a net positive, but Hanifin could go either way... or stagnate.  With the latter and the upside it's probably fair value.

Flames are taking a fair amount of risk here by giving him term before he's really earned it.  Next year they have $14mil in capspace available for 8 contracts, two of which will be Tkachuk and Bennett which will eat up over half of it, and that's with Smith's $4.25mil off the books.  Going to be walking a bit of a tightrope, and Treliving hasn't made his hotseat any cooler looking forward.

Hanifin's D game needs quite a bit of improvement but his offensive skill is certainly present.  It remains to be seen if his D game is so bad that it pushes him out of a reliable top-4 role, but this contract is not terrible.  Sbisa got $3.6M a few years ago and cracked the 20+ point barrier once back in 11/12.  $5M for a very young D who has improved offensively in three consecutive seasons should be reasonable.

The Flames will be an interesting team to watch next season.  I'm especially curious about Lindholm as their top-6 looked to be strengthened considerably with him added to the mix.  As many have identified, their goaltending is a major sore spot however and their D have been very inconsistent.

I'm obviously not hoping for great success from the Flames but they should be better though I think they might need a year to gel.

Archived