The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks looking at Josh Ho-Sang ?

nazzymx

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

He's cocky. Canucks could use a little personality. I wonder if a Goldobin for Ho-Sang deal would make sense. Just a straight swap. Ho-Sang doesn't need waivers so he can be sent up and down this season while Goldobin can't without the risk of waivers.

The Sharks have had a lot of success "rehabbing" "troubled" players in the past (just look at there bets with Evander Kane, Ryan Merkley recently). What says the Canucks can't do the same?

Kassian, Rypien, Prust, O'Brien, Hodgson, McCann

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Kassian, Rypien, Prust, O'Brien, Hodgson, McCann

Kassian, Rypien, O'Brien, Hodgson are from the old regime.

Kassian was a legitimate alcoholic who hadn't hit rock bottom when he was dealt away from the Canucks. Canucks did send him to rehab via an NHLPA program. Didn't work. Outlier.

McCann was a mistake too let go and a victim of Benning being hellbent on getting Gudbranson.

Prust was over the hill when he came here and not someone with attitude problems. He wasn't good enough for the NHL when he got here.

14 hours ago, mpass1 said:

He actually doesn't have terrible nhl numbers, but from what I've heard his defensive prowess is definitely suspect

Ho-Sang is a bit like Mike Ribiero. Got loads of talent when hes on, but absolutely does nothing when disinterested. That being said, if Gagner or Granlund is the offer, I'd do it

16 hours ago, coryberg said:

Everybody's path to the nhl is different. Burrows played roller hockey... pilon is rolling pennies.

I’d quit hockey too if I played defense and my name was Pilon, just imagine the chirps this guys had to deal with game in game out.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Ho-Sang is a bit like Mike Ribiero. Got loads of talent when hes on, but absolutely does nothing when disinterested. That being said, if Gagner or Granlund is the offer, I'd do it

Granlund is a team player that can play anywhere in the lineup.  Why would you be willing to move him for a problem child in Ho-Sang??

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Maybe his attitude is getting better. Humbling with age as he’s had to work throughout the minor leagues. At this point though if he’s cheap to acquire beggers can’t be choosers.

The problem with the whole idea of saying "maybe this" or "maybe that" is we could suggest that with almost anything. It doesn't really accomplish much if we make trades based on "maybe" when there's just as good, if not an even better chance of it being "maybe not". ;)

We are also not beggars. That would be a recipe for disaster if we "begged" the rest of the league for their scraps. I know that's probably not what you meant by that statement, but I really think that being beggars is the LAST thing you want in such a competitive league. That's pretty much what's happened to Ottawa. It's not pretty. lol

30 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem with the whole idea of saying "maybe this" or "maybe that" is we could suggest that with almost anything. It doesn't really accomplish much if we make trades based on "maybe" when there's just as good, if not an even better chance of it being "maybe not". ;)

We are also not beggars. That would be a recipe for disaster if we "begged" the rest of the league for their scraps. I know that's probably not what you meant by that statement, but I really think that being beggars is the LAST thing you want in such a competitive league. That's pretty much what's happened to Ottawa. It's not pretty. lol

So true. Canucks are now at a point that they can move out pieces that do not fit and actually get something in return. Not big returns but still a fat cry from 2 years ago. 

The other concern is the team chemistry if a prima donna  is brought in. The existing prospect pool looks like a character group. I don't know much about this guy so cannot comment on his character. Many posters are negative. 

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

Not really what I meant. This team is hard pressed for offence and we’re looking to be bottom 3 in goals yet again. I wouldn’t pay more for other teams scraps but if they’re pretty much giving Ho Sang away because they’re about to waive him. Why not toss them somebody like Gaunce.

I more so meant that if his attitude isn’t that of a model citizen as a bottom 3 scoring offence can we turn a player away because he’s cocky? Now I’m not saying bring in a locker room cancer because I don’t think Ho Sang is that.

52 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Not really what I meant. This team is hard pressed for offence and we’re looking to be bottom 3 in goals yet again. I wouldn’t pay more for other teams scraps but if they’re pretty much giving Ho Sang away because they’re about to waive him. Why not toss them somebody like Gaunce.

I more so meant that if his attitude isn’t that of a model citizen as a bottom 3 scoring offence can we turn a player away because he’s cocky? Now I’m not saying bring in a locker room cancer because I don’t think Ho Sang is that.

If they are about to waive him, only if we needed the space to have another contract would it make sense to trade for a player like that. Otherwise, you're wasting assets for nothing.

The thing you have to understand about cockiness is that it's not a matter of whether or not you are cocky, it's a matter of how you utilize that cockiness. The way Ho-Sang has handled his ego is poor and it tends to be that exact kind of cockniess that potentially starts locker room issues. It's a risk and it could actually harm our other players, especially our newcomers entering the league.Therefore, it's not a matter of whether he's cocky or not (cocky can mean confidence afterall), it's a matter of what his personality portrays.

What I'm saying is, while his cockiness might be fine, it likely isn't to be honest. There's more to this then him "just being cocky".

Archived