The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the Sam Gagner demotion make the Canucks look bad?

cuporbust

Sam Gagner   

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys . Just curious if anyone thinks the Sam Gagner demotion may have an effect on future UFA's view of our organization? 

My view is let the best players play . Sam was not the best player , so let him sit . However,  other players have taken notice of this decision.  ....

When Gagner settled on a move to Toronto, rather than heading to the Canucks’ affiliate in Utica, N.Y., Tavares was among the first of his old teammates to reach out and offer him a place to stay.

“We’re still extremely close. Our families spend time together. I’ve got to know his two young boys and his wife really well. I was definitely really, really surprised, especially after the commitment Vancouver made to him last summer and the way he was feeling coming into this summer,” Tavares said.

Thoughts ?

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys . Just curious if anyone thinks the Sam Gagner demotion may have an effect on future UFA's view of our organization? 

My view is let the best players play . Sam was not the best player , so let him sit . However,  other players have taken notice of this decision.  ....

When Gagner settled on a move to Toronto, rather than heading to the Canucks’ affiliate in Utica, N.Y., Tavares was among the first of his old teammates to reach out and offer him a place to stay.

“We’re still extremely close. Our families spend time together. I’ve got to know his two young boys and his wife really well. I was definitely really, really surprised, especially after the commitment Vancouver made to him last summer and the way he was feeling coming into this summer,” Tavares said.

Thoughts ?

Gagner has only himself to blame. 11 years in the NHL? You think he would know what "effort" is.

I think it makes them look brilliant.  If UFA's are just looking to cash in then maybe they will look somewhere else instead of coming here.  I think the important message is what got sent to the other 23 players on the team.

13 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I was definitely really, really surprised, especially after the commitment Vancouver made to him last summer 

Everyone was surprised... not because he was beaten out for a job but because the canucks manned up and buried that contract. Just because you have a huge salary doesn't mean you deserve to be in the NHL.

Jim benning has said it time and again... if the young players can prove they can play in the NHL we will make room for them. That was the mantra well before he signed here. There was no smoke and mirrors, he repeated it time and time again including this summer. This should come as no surprise to gags, he has nobody to blame but himself.

3 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

the message sent is...

"floaters need not apply" 

it will most defiantly hurt our chances to attract overpriced floaters, oh the horror

if your willing to work your tail off for the team there is still a spot here

Yeah exactly.

Any player who sees the Gagner situation and thinks "Damn, that could happen to me", I don't want them here.

I want FAs that look at the Gagner situation and think "I'm not Sam Gagner"

I think the demotion was the right decision.

Gagner was given the same opportunity to earn a spot as everyone else, and he wasn't good enough. It's true that he's a better offensive player than at least half our roster, but he's also extremely limited in where he can play in the lineup and still be effective. He continues to need 5v5 sheltering and specialized deployment to really be useful. He's not a bottom-six option and he can't kill penalties. Gagner basically needed to prove himself the best option to play on one of Pettersson's wings, and he didn't distinguish himself (at least not positively) during camp/preseason.

The fit just wasn't there. And Gagner did nothing to show he could help us anywhere else. Had he come into this season with fire in his belly and a willingness to do whatever it took, and play any role, I think he would have made the team. Instead, he was just there, looking the same as always, and offering the same limited options as a player. 

Management was clear from the get go that we would be holding a competitive camp where players needed to prove themselves and earn their spots. Gagner seemed to think that his contract and past stats were enough to guarantee him a role with this team and a place in the NHL. He still seems to think that, based on his recent comments, and those of the people around him.

But he's still in the AHL, with neither the Canucks apparently viewing him as an option, despite our current injuries, nor any other NHL team wanting him, despite his obviously availability, and an acquisition cost that ranged from free on waivers to a bargain basement trade, possibly with salary retention. And still, no takers.

I do think the Gagner situation will have some impact on future UFAs. Just based off some of the quotes we've seen from players, agents, and managers, it's clear that many folks around the NHL don't like seeing what's happened to Gagner and feel that he deserves better. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I also won't deny that the sentiment is out there, and likely to affect us, at least to some degree.

22 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Vancouver made a commitment to Gagner in both money and term, and how did he respond?  He failed to make the team out of training camp.

So who's to blame, and who failed whom?  Bigbuck Leafboy John should be chiding his buddy for taking NHL salary without delivering NHL performance.

Disappointed with Tavares too. He KNOWS the rivalry/bad blood between Van & TO. He was prob a crying, snot-nosed varmint, when we schooled them in '94..& maybe he reverted to That version of lil' sobbing Johnny with the pj's on.

Don't publicly meddle with biz regarding other teams. This kinda tripe indicates to me the guy could well turn David Clarkson half way through a hefty contract. They've had to park a lot of old rides on Robidas Isle...

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Disappointed with Tavares too. He KNOWS the rivalry/bad blood between Van & TO. He was prob a crying, snot-nosed varmint, when we schooled them in '94..& maybe he reverted to That version of lil' sobbing Johnny with the pj's on.

Don't publicly meddle with biz regarding other teams. This kinda tripe indicates to me the guy could well turn David Clarkson half way through a hefty contract. They've had to park a lot of old rides on Robidas Isle...

Except Tavares was a legit allstar (and still could be).  The Dave Clark 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Clarkson....

17 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

the message sent is...

"floaters need not apply" 

it will most defiantly hurt our chances to attract overpriced floaters, oh the horror

if your willing to work your tail off for the team there is still a spot here

13 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Signing him made the Canucks look bad

13 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Yeah exactly.

Any player who sees the Gagner situation and thinks "Damn, that could happen to me", I don't want them here.

I want FAs that look at the Gagner situation and think "I'm not Sam Gagner"

Yes, yes, and yes to the above comments.

Signing Gagner was a poor decision, as was signing Eriksson and MDZ (and that is not the full list). We don't want signing with the Canucks to like well-paid early retirement.

Every player in the league knows, or should know, that you need to do something to justify your spot on the team. The message that you will be sent down otherwise is absolutely the right message to send.

If the Canucks sign any more veteran UFAs, we want it be guys who feel they have something to prove, not guys trying to cash in on one last contract.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Except Tavares was a legit allstar (and still could be).  The Dave Clark 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Clarkson....

Can't help thinking back to TO/lackey media meddling when we tried to deal Lou, at a TDL. We had a legit team of stars back then, & they were always dog meat. So they looked at other ways to meddle.

I can imagine an Ontarian outcry/gnashing of teeth if any Van player commented on Hogtown manoeuvres, & hope our boys are smart enough to never bother with that shyte. Doubt the media would ever provide a necc platform, if any grievance were legitimate & newsworthy, anywhoo...

Archived