The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Darren Archibald placed on waivers

Toyotasfan

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I actually liked what he brought. He was physical (a lot more so than Schaller), he stood up for teammates and for himself. He can fight if he has to as well. A bit of an intimidating presence. I'm actually at a loss why he'd be the one to go.

If he brought this all the time, then I would agree with you.

For his role, he needs to be hard to play against every shift and make his presence felt.

Every single time he has been brought up, he does that for a game or two and gets you really excited.

Then he becomes largely invisible aside from an occasional fight or attempted hit where he can’t really catch up to the guy and ends up just rattling the boards.

It is clear he doesn’t really want to be the type of player that would keep him in an NHL lineup.   No loss if someone took a flyer and picked him up.  Look at Roussel, he isn’t a fighter, but he is engaged every shift making life difficult for opponents.  If Archibald had that attitude and the ability to fight, he would have had a good career.

You could rotate in other younger players who would bring energy for a few games to show their stuff.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

isnt this more a situation of reaching the 10 game threshold , and having to decide to commit further or hopefully clear and retain, the biega of forward's.

if it were he wouldn't have to clear having played only 9 games, but the other threshold is one month on the roster, which he has spent, and therefore has to clear.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats funny, I disagree with all of that :lol: I thought he didn't use his physicality anywhere near as much as he could or needed to. 

Archibald is a legendary call-up player. He will give you exactly one amazing game every time, and then stop mattering at all.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so maybe it was Sutter (who's criminally underrated on CDC). 

Sutter is definitely underrated! Everybody just sees his cap hit and expects points. When he doesn’t produce he becomes one of the whipping boys. The guy is a defensive beast. He brings a lot to this team in other aspects that most fans just overlook.

36 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Archibald is a legendary call-up player. He will give you exactly one amazing game every time, and then stop mattering at all.

Haha, we have half a dozen guys like this.

Sit them for a game and they get all pissy and light it up the following game - Greener should just have a rotating Lazy Susan with Baertschi, Gagner, Markstrom, Archibald, Gaunce and perhaps a couple others all in it - we’d get consistent production!

3 hours ago, Provost said:

If he brought this all the time, then I would agree with you.

For his role, he needs to be hard to play against every shift and make his presence felt.

Every single time he has been brought up, he does that for a game or two and gets you really excited.

Then he becomes largely invisible aside from an occasional fight or attempted hit where he can’t really catch up to the guy and ends up just rattling the boards.

It is clear he doesn’t really want to be the type of player that would keep him in an NHL lineup.   No loss if someone took a flyer and picked him up.  Look at Roussel, he isn’t a fighter, but he is engaged every shift making life difficult for opponents.  If Archibald had that attitude and the ability to fight, he would have had a good career.

You could rotate in other younger players who would bring energy for a few games to show their stuff.

I think he runs on adrenaline and looks awesome, then as it wears off, he loses a step and becomes much less effective.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so maybe it was Sutter (who's criminally underrated on CDC). 

Sutter is criminally underrated and underutilized by Green. He's a great defensive two way forward and good enough offensively to start in the offensive zone. I would put him on the second line if I were coach. Handing in my application actually. 

8 minutes ago, FedorFedorov said:

Sutter is criminally underrated and underutilized by Green. He's a great defensive two way forward and good enough offensively to start in the offensive zone. I would put him on the second line if I were coach. Handing in my application actually. 

Sutter routinely gets some of the highest forward minutes.  He may be criminally underrated on these boards but he is not by Green.

Look, we're 7 & 8 guys injured?  Archibald was not our first call up.

I like the guy. I hope he gets picked up.  But I dont thik he will.

And its not all bad.  Pretty sure he has a 1 way contract. Or heavy AHL salary at worst.  

Its a bonus for the Comets to get him back.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

if it were he wouldn't have to clear having played only 9 games, but the other threshold is one month on the roster, which he has spent, and therefore has to clear.

Have to wonder, he didn't play the previous game so there's no real reason he couldn't have gone back on time, or even before Gaunce as Brendan had more time remaining.  Perhaps they are giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have to wonder, he didn't play the previous game so there's no real reason he couldn't have gone back on time, or even before Gaunce as Brendan had more time remaining.  Perhaps they are giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

You are mean to Alf.  Are you too young to know what scotch is?  Stop being mean to old peopl, like Alf.  

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Very curious ! Biega has now reached the 'must pass through waivers' status too !

16 hours ago, FedorFedorov said:

so you'd play him over Bo and Pettersson in the o-zone? 

Sutter has quietly become a great defensive C who can also be an offensive threat from time to time, lets be happy with success. 

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I love Archie.  but he is 2 different people.  Jekel and Hyde

In the AHL he is Jekel, fast, aggressive and mean.  Punishes forwards and d men on the forecheck, crashes the net and beats on people if needed.

In the NHL he Hydes from all of that and tries to play a different game as a different player.

He's had I think 6 call ups in the last few years and each time has been a different person than what has made him successful in the AHL.  Until he figures out how to be consistent he's never going to be anything moe than an AHL call up

Same type of player (but at F) as Biega. Great player/leader etc at the AHL level and can be played sporadically at the NHL level where he can 'bring it' for like 1-3 games and then quickly fades.

He'd probably be fine as a 13th/14th F who plays 15+/- games every year but as a starting 12....not so much. And clearly better at the AHL level if a regular gig/ice time is preffered.

Archived