The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild at Nucks 7pm Rogers Arena Dec 4 2018

xereau

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Goldobin is out tonight. Believe he needs a reset -- he's not going anywhere and will get back into the lineup. Certain areas of his game that we're working on and showing lots of video this season, that he needs to have improvement in. Not just so he can play in the NHL, but so we have players who can win in the NHL. Sometimes with a young player, sitting and watching a game is not a bad thing. Goldy will get back in and be better off for it." - Green on Goldobin

Sad thing is in the same amount of games played,  Eriksson has 4 less pts and is a -8, where Goldy is even +/-

If only the 6 million dollar man had the same rules apply.

Just now, InTheCrease said:

Sad thing is in the same amount of games played,  Eriksson has 4 less pts and is a -8, where Goldy is even +/-

My only hope is that Benning is looking at a trade that involves Eriksson, and Green has been advised to not bother with resetting him. Otherwise, a dangerous precedent is being set.

2 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

Eriksson is unique. None of the standard requirements apply to him.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My only hope is that Benning is looking at a trade that involves Eriksson, and Green has been advised to not bother with resetting him. Otherwise, a dangerous precedent is being set.

That contract is unmovable it sucks , we are stuck with this completely useless bum 

42 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

40 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Eriksson is unique. None of the standard requirements apply to him.

38 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Goldy will be fine, after binge watching video of all the "little things" Loui does so well  

I'm assuming that some of the above is a bit tongue in cheek but:

-We're not trying to 'develop' Eriksson. He's a bit of an 'is what it is'. Goldobin still has potential.

-Eriksson can play (an underwhelming) role in the bottom 6 if he's not contributing offensively. Goldy cannot.

This is about coaching/development of a young player. Not about making a direct comparison of him to other players on the roster. They're individual players with their own unique situations. Appreciate the difference.

47 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

I say this about Jake getting benched. People can play worse defensively and kill more plays offensively than him yet he'll ride pine in the 3rd or get kicked off the top 6, in those rare instances where he is lucky to be there, whereas those players get free passes. All because "Jake needs to learn to play the right way" or "it's cause he is more versatile". These are just the things we gotta accept with the team. Some guys get free rides. No matter the coach.

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Minnesota, Arizona, LA. The names on the back of the jerseys may change, but these teams' ability to suck the life out of hockey remains constant. 

I guess you've missed most Wild games this season. They are 12th in the league in goal scoring and have been in a lot of wide open games. Wins of 6-4 and 6-2 and losses of 5-3 and 5-2 all within the last couple of weeks. Even Arizona with their 66 goals scored (29th) have wins of 7-1, 6-1 and a couple of 5-1's.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I say this about Jake getting benched. People can play worse defensively and kill more plays offensively than him yet he'll ride pine in the 3rd or get kicked off the top 6, in those rare instances where he is lucky to be there, whereas those players get free passes. All because "Jake needs to learn to play the right way" or "it's cause he is more versatile". These are just the things we gotta accept with the team. Some guys get free rides. No matter the coach.

Jake get a big head sometimes, and then starts playing like he's a small, skilled guy.  Jake needs time to mature (emotionally) so he can accept his role, and play a hard, physically punishing game.  That's why he - sometimes - gets benched or moved down the lines.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake get a big head sometimes, and then starts playing like he's a small, skilled guy.  Jake needs time to mature (emotionally) so he can accept his role, and play a hard, physically punishing game.  That's why he - sometimes - gets benched or moved down the lines.  

Jake isn't the checker/powerforward people want him to be, he never was that kind of player. He was just a great skater/shooter that happens to throw his body around. Maybe instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole lets use him in a way that best suits his talents. His defense is among the best on the team. His skills are better than half the scrubs they use regularly in the top 6. There's no logistical reason to punish him for wrong doings that other people do more often.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake isn't the checker/powerforward people want him to be, he never was that kind of player. He was just a great skater/shooter that happens to throw his body around. Maybe instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole lets use him in a way that best suits his talents. His defense is among the best on the team. His skills are better than half the scrubs they use regularly in the top 6. There's no logistical reason to punish him for wrong doings that other people do more often.

could you see Jake on the PK?  I think he could excel there. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think it's about age/development.

Or, in other words that some players are seen as beyond learning?  Jake -- like Goldobin, maybe like Motte and Hutton -- are all still quite young.  The assumption -- prejudice? -- is that younger guys can learn from being sat.  The converse is that some guys can not learn from being sat.  Because they are past learning = older.   Waive or rave lol.  No learning. 

Is this prejudice fair?  Well, in the real, larger world, it is never too late to learn.  (I'm in my 60s and learning how to turn a house with some land into a hobby farm, lol.)  It is, however, possible that things are different in Hockey world.  Short careers, new players always arriving to replace the ones that can't cut it.

E.g., after Roussel's disastrous multi-penalty game the other day (he cost us the game more or less), he was not sat.  If Jake had imploded like that?  Or Lind on a call up? LOL. 

Archived