The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

52 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I wear tight pants too, you could never tell my knee was a little swollen underneath. There's no way you could tell if his knee swollen from a torn meniscus while he's wearing pants lol.

Torn ACL or MCL would be a way different story.

A torn meniscus isn't really something that you can pick up without an MRI.

McMurray test says hi.

I've seen quite a few torn menisci and not one of them could get into and out of a chair with ease (known as Ege's test). Sure, they weren't elite 19 year old athletes in a lower body driven sport, but EP40 must have a crazy high pain tolerance if he has the swelling and stiffness of a torn meniscus but his gait is unaltered and he's performing unassisted sit to stands (clearing the Ege's test). But also to consider, video on the Internet could be edited a lot. 

The McMurray test is commonly used and is a very reliable, valid test that let's us know if it's a torn meniscus. You do, however, need a therapist who knows what they're doing to have a McMurray test be accurate (I'm hoping nhl level therapists are high quality, but given the Canucks history..) 

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i think it more appropriate you refuse to ever speak finnish again

or eat Lihapullat muusilla ja puolukkahillolla (Meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam)

i think on cdc board

the final opinion belongs to

HerrDrFunk

funny you say that...the wife picked up scalped potatoes, swedish meatballs, gravy and lingon berry from Ikea...a very tasty Swedish meal. 

From what I remember, the Ege's test must be performed with femur externally rotated(feet point outwards at least 50 degrees) to test for MCL damage.  This is not how EP would ever get out of a chair today- he can use the other 3 ligaments to stabilize the knee to stand.  I hope he's alright, but don't want people falsely hoping for a miraculous recovery defying human kinetics.  

10 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

So when are we gonna get a real update? I presume an MRI result shouldn’t take that long to come back with Canucks resources? 

Yeah i would expect that they already have the results back. 

There's some hospitals that have the results as you get out of the machine and change back into your clothes. 

4 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Please stop proclaiming Gudbranson as a good player. 

Dude is a net negative player in every possible metric or whatever assessment tool you use.

Eye test, basic stats, advanced stats.

Unless you think being a good canadian kid who throws occasional big hitz constitutes being a good defenseman, he is not one.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Sad but true. Very true.

Gudbrandson, is big, strong, and fast. Punishing. 

He also is a right handed shot. 

Any coach will take that on their team. Find a way to deploy it. Guys don't have to be perfect to be effective players. Of course guys on CDC believe there is a god given expectation for a D man to never have a turnover. Or its they're right to pounce... 

I doubt there is a team in the league that would cut Guddy. They would make room!

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah i would expect that they already have the results back. 

There's some hospitals that have the results as you get out of the machine and change back into your clothes. 

Maybe there is nothing wrong with it and he is simply just-day to day? Anyone remembers how long it took for the boeser news to come back last season?

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gudbrandson, is big, strong, and fast. Punishing. 

He also is a right handed shot. 

Any coach will take that on their team. Find a way to deploy it. Guys don't have to be perfect to be effective players. Of course guys on CDC believe there is a god given expectation for a D man to never have a turnover. Or its they're right to pounce... 

I doubt there is a team in the league that would cut Guddy. They would make room!

Im a big Gudbranson supporter. 

I think sometimes we lose fact that he is a valuable defensemen and see him more as our top fighter. For instance, we didn't need him to beat up jesperi last night. We needed him to be on standby after Hutton / Jake / Bo / Schaller / Beagle / Roussel ANYOF THESE GUYS took a run or beat up Jesperi.  When Jordie Benn or Weber decides to jump in, thats when we need Gudbranson to step up. 

He's a valuable defensemen for us and a great guy to patrol the blue line. I see him as a legit top 4 guy. 

4 hours ago, sockeye said:

Way too early to say Petey will be fine.  That twist of the knee looked bad.

In this case I actually think his size and lankiness helped him. If he was heavier or less bendable, would have been a long term injury.

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Seems like one of those "accidentally on purpose" kind of moves.  The Canucks should start doing it too.

I remember hearing on the radio years about deterrents and whether or not there's a need for enforcers.  I think it was Ferraro that said the best deterrent is to do tic for tac.  Your stars get targeted, you target their stars.  Eventually the star players will be telling those cheapshot players (or the ones doing the physical stuff) to tone it down.  

When Cooke was a Penguin the owner superstar Mario went on record that he was tired of the cheap stuff going on at the time...then Cooke went out and did his thing, made him a hypocrite and not long after was sent packing.    This is hockey and I understand the rough stuff has it’s place, running goalies becomes a tactic (Gary Roberts remember how many times he ran us, Anderson says hello) as does taking a star player off his game (Shannahan says hello they used to pick one player on the other team and deliberately take him off his game or out of the series with hard hits)...but the cheap stuff deserves retribution (as does the rough stuff).   If done properly it’s a deterrent.  

Come playoff time skilled teams need some grit and toughness to get by, don’t think we have that yet.  I’m glad he’s ok (we will know for sure soon), but don’t think the players should take such an apathetic response to this sort of thing.  I don’t want to see Pettersson sitting out half a year next time, he’s worth protecting, the league won’t they haven’t in over a hundred years.  He’s not physically able to do it himself either (he’s no Howe).  Guess we will have to wait and see what happens next time, and there will be a next time unfortunately, that is unless the team starts playing differently and maybe adds someone to make it happen.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % correct.

Canucks need to respond immediately by targeting a top skill player on the opponents team.

See how much the Habs like it when Price is getting bumped and tangled up when the puck is not near him.........

100% incorrect.

Archived