The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] ? Million for ? Years For Edler.

Edler Extension?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I will. :bigblush:

Jokes aside, I would do 4 years if his cap hit can be lowered to around 5-5.5 mil and if he doesn't require a NTC/NMC so that we have an option of exposing him to Seattle.

Otherwise, Edler will want at least 3 years at 6 mil given how he is playing and his importance to the Canucks blue line. And Canucks don't really have an option other than to pay him that money.

I'd rather pay an extra 1M$ or 2M$ per, for a short term than be stuck with year 3 and 4 at 5-5.5M$.  Canucks won't win the cup in 2019-2020 or 2020-2021, so i'd rather not mortgage year 3 and 4 with an Elder contract, base on 1 good year recently.

We can sign somebody else much cheaper just to expose him to Seattle, just like we did with Biega when we toyed with his games played.

Personally, I'd like a 2-4 year deal, with 4 years being an option if he goes cheaper on the dollars. He'll need at least some sort of NTC or NMC, but I'm hoping we can get away with a limited NTC, say, Edler gives 10 teams he'd be okay being traded to. This allows him to at least know when he's being traded.

The contract options I'd suggest:

2 years at $6.5M per year, limited NTC - I think if we want Edler for this short of a term, we'll have to pay up a bit.

3 years at $6M per year, limited NTC - This is the most likely option IMO.

4 years at $5.5M per year, limited NTC - This is a slight discount for an extra year on his contract.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In two years, the 2020/2021 season, there will be an expansion draft so ANY clause contract has to be protected and there will be a few young guys needing protecting but the Canucks already have 4 spots they have to protect.

There could be a labour stoppage for that season, this may extend contracts or eliminate a year.

Clause contracts can be nulled if the player agrees, a player under a clause contract can be shopped around the league, player decision.

Only NMCs have to be protected, not NTCs. Eriksson had to be protected in the Vegas draft because at the time, he had a NMC. Currently, he has a NTC and I think that will still be the case in the Seattle draft, as it takes place just before his NTC will tick over to a limited NTC.

3 years, $15M total

Year 1 = 6M + full NTC

Year 2 = 5M + modified NTC (provide 5-8 teams)

Year 3 = 4M + no NTC

I don't see those numbers strapping the club in any way; Edler's back has apparently been feeling normal over the past 1+ year (I've had 2 ruptured discs...it takes 3-4 years before getting back to close to normal); 4M for a defenseman of his caliber, even with some regression of skill by age 37, is not really much of an overpayment.

To me, the lower term the better.

Yes he is having a good year but I feel prior performance and his likely decline need to he considered.

With that said, we are not in an immediate cap crunch so the value isnt very important from that perspective if the term is short.

Id love to see 2x5.5 with a full no trade clause until last trade deadline. Is that even realistic?  I know on the UFA market he would get more.

My gut feeling:  something like 5.5 / 4.5 / 3.5 --  Could get more on the open market, but he has hamstrung himself by taking himself out of said market with his undying loyalty to this team.  3 years is a long time. But he has been playing his best hockey since 2011 the last 15 months...

I think that Jim has given us fans some conflicting signs for Edler's future.  On one hand, he said that Edler brings to the table what is not (easily) replaceable from within the organization.  Keep in mind he didn't say that he was not replaceable.  This is important. He complimented Alex, but notice, Alex is still not signed here.  You'd think, someone that was irreplaceable would be locked up right away, leaving no chance to free agency poaching, and showing Alex, and the fan base, just how important he is to the team. But.  Still not signed.

40% chance Alex leaves the team in July.

60% chance Alex is re-signed.  30% chance for around open market price, for 1-2 years, and no clause. 30% chance for quite a bit less, for 3 years, with same clause as current.

People trying to cheap out or play hardball with Edler don't know what the hell they're talking about.  Just because he's motivated to stay doesn't mean they have him over a barrel ; in fact I think he has the upper hand in negotiations. If he re-signs he will get an NMC and a salary well over 5 million, mark my words.  The only variable up in the air is term.

I went with 2 years as I think that's the maximum we should normally be going with players at his age, but would be okay with stretching to 3 if brings average salary down.

5 million per I think would be home town discount. I think he could easily get 6 on the open market.

I believe that Edler has earned the right to decide where he goes in trade, so Modified No Trade Clause where he can submit list of 10 teams he'd be willing to take a trade to. I don't believe it would be fair to him to not have one. He should be able to specify a playoff team if he wants.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I doubt Bob knows anything, he's been out of the Canucks loop for a long time.

Either 2x6.5 or 3x5, heavy on bonuses. 

I would go further after the Muzzin trade 

TRADE EDLER THIS TDL

(we get a 1st and 2 prospects that are approx what LA got)

Telling Edler (off the record of course) on July 1st there will be an offer of 2 years 7.5 million per year cap hit (he gets his cash and location for his family and we get better term and will have lots of cap room that will have to go to EP40 the following year)

so it’s like reserving it lol 

10 mill 2019/2020 full NTC

5 mill 2020/2021 MODIFIED 10 team as of Feb 1st 2021

We then trade him again for Fair market value if there is any value at that time (or do not trade him)

BUT WE HAVE TO CASH IN THIS TDL

We also trade

Tanev for 1st ++ (anytime before next TDL)

Hutton &  Guddy  for FMV over next 2 years 

Then October 2021

Quinn

Olie

Tram

Woo

Ratbun

Stetch

2019 1st rounder 

& depth guys or trades or picks 

We will also have a few more high end prospects in our pool from all trades and picks

Behind closed doors Benning should tell Edler if he'll play ball this year and let us trade him at the deadline to a contender than we'll add more term to his contract in the offseason. 

Obviously this is against the rules but if it's just Benning and Edler in the room than who would know? 

Let us trade him? 4 years, $5.5 mil

Won't let us? 2 years, $6 mil

Something like that. 

13 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

.@TSNBobMcKenzie: In order for there to be a market for Alex Edler, the #canucks would have to have a willingness to want to move him. And I think the priority right now is that Jim Benning is going to try to get an extension done with Edler. I think that's the plan

He would know if Edler is being shopped a round so this is a likely scenario.

Murrzin got a 1rst +++ without any retention.

So an extension for Edler, 33/34 next season. He is valuable to the Canucks as maintaining the status quo with a age related decline over the next contract.

Based on Benning's past performance Edler could get overpaid, extra long contract with a clause.

What seems reasonable

Lidstrom played his last three years in Detroit on one year deals I believe to help his team with cap, if he won't do it trade him or let him go.

17 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I'd rather pay an extra 1M$ or 2M$ per, for a short term than be stuck with year 3 and 4 at 5-5.5M$.  Canucks won't win the cup in 2019-2020 or 2020-2021, so i'd rather not mortgage year 3 and 4 with an Elder contract, base on 1 good year recently.

We can sign somebody else much cheaper just to expose him to Seattle, just like we did with Biega when we toyed with his games played.

I don't disagree. I'm fine with 2 years but he will come in at around 7mil if that were the case. As you said, extra 1 or 2 mil is fine short term.

8 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

TRADE EDLER THIS TDL

Telling Edler (off the record of course) on July 1st there will be an offer of 2 years 7.5 million per year cap hit (he gets his cash and location for his family and we get better term and will have lots of cap room that will have to go to EP40 the following year)

We then trade him again for Fair market value if there is any value at that time (or do not trade him)

We also trade

Then October 2021

Quinn

Olie

Tram

Woo

Ratbun

Stetch

2019 1st rounder 

We will also have a few more high end prospects in our pool from all trades and picks

that would be awesome if all that worked out that way. 

I just don't think there's an appetite on both sides for the risks associated with a waive-trade-re-sign scenario.

11 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

TRADE EDLER THIS TDL

We also trade

Then October 2021

Quinn

Olie

Tram

Woo

Ratbun

Stetch

2019 1st rounder 

Edler is not going to garner the same return as Muzzin.  Muzzin is 4 years younger, significantly more durable, and has term at a reasonable cap hit.  Edler also has full control of if/where he goes.  That likely leads to a smaller return.  

Elder has value. But to expect a similar return to what Muzzin brought is likely setting yourself up for disappointment 

Archived