The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] Can an Average Guy Stop a Hockey Pro's 98MPH Slap Shot? | Above Average Joe | GQ

xereau

12 years removed from playing pro doesn't scream out "hockey pro" to me...
Then again if Jagr was to retire after this season and then I was to guard him one-on-one in a game a dozen years from now, I'm sure any of us would still easily get destroyed.

9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Anson Carter's big mistake was not re-signing with the Canucks. And I think he knows it just as well as everybody does. Outside of Alex Burrows, Anson Carter was probably the Sedins best linemate.

Absolutely he was, at the time it was a sigh of relief as nobody seemed to gel with their game...then along came ECHL late bloomer Burrows and the Sedins has their best seasons after.  Burrows isn’t  necessarily underrated, but to the uniformed average fan that just has name recognition they will never know how much they needed Burrows to elevate their game.   Carter was great too because he did similar things and had a great shot, who knows if he re-signed with us it could have been him going to the final with us, and maybe he’d be a regular 40 plus goal scorer with a much larger bank account too.

Both these guys were much better than the merry go round of guys who played with them before and even after they were here..Who the heck is Trent Klatt anyways (ha ha just kidding...might as say Harold Druken, because it’s fun to say).  

I thought it was a pretty funny video.  Ironic that his GQ colleague's name was Joel Pavelski.

I noticed when he went out for that first skating lesson he was in player's skates.  He would probably have been better off in goalie skates.  Way more stable.  And then he goes out with Chico, still in player's skates.  He was flopping around like Hasek out there.  Luckily, he got goalie skates for the next time out.

Before the big shot he asked the coach for one last tip.  I would have gone with "stand there and hope it just hits you".  All in all, he did pretty good for a guy that could barely skate.

34 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

This gives a whole new respect to the professionals,sure looks easy until you try and do it.

If he was playing for the Canucks he would be injured by now.

The way he 'jumps' when he drops, knees facing the shot, yeah, he'd be hurt pretty bad.

I'm not even a goalie and I know better than to face the shot with anything other than the 'most' padded part.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

The way he 'jumps' when he drops, knees facing the shot, yeah, he'd be hurt pretty bad.

I'm not even a goalie and I know better than to face the shot with anything other than the 'most' padded part.

I remember having to learn how to drop to my knees when I was goalie (just for fun and in intramurals), as dropping down naturally looked a lot like this guy (minus the jump). It was hard at first, and even hurt a bit, but after enough practice I had the pad part out flush. There's no way I could do that right now though :P

Archived