The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's yearly letter to season ticket holders

BCNeil

I remember that one of the big fears when Trevor Linden quit was that the owners would try and fast forward the rebuild. They said they would stay the course and they did they are saying the same thing this year. You can't ask for better owners then that if you ask me.

56 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Always take anything Burke says with a grain of salt. (Re:  relocation threat).  

McCaw sold the Grizzlies to a US owner in 2001.  He now had full control of the Canucks from Arthur Griffiths.  The dollar was tanking.  There were US buyers interested.  The threat was real.  Luckily Francesco stepped in along with Gagliardi.  Both were interested in keeping the team in Vancouver.  We never heard or saw McCaw.  For all we know he could have done a deal with some dude in the US and the team would have easily been moved.  Bettman would not have stopped it as the NHL was looking  to expand in the US. 

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Great letter from a thoughtful fan who also happens to own the team. It tells us that he is committed to supporting the management team that is in place and is willing to be patient. This shows he has a clear understanding of what it takes to rebuild a team from the ground up. Makes me wonder even more what happened with Trevor Linden's sudden departure. The word "on the street" was that Linden was urging people to slow down, that a rebuild takes time. Now we hear that Benning and Green told Aquilini to slow down, that it would take time to rebuild. So why was Linden gassed? I know, I know. Water under the bridge, but still.......

Probably because he wasn't doing much.  Benning and his team were making all the player decisions.  Not even sure what Linden's role was really.  Francesco probably wanted an accountant type money man to be President to look over all hockey operations and finances and let Benning run the show in terms of player acquisitions and development.

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Aquaman is one creepy guy.  The fact that he puts himself in the middle of the team picture is the epitome of arrogance.  I have no idea if other team owners do this, but it is gross.  He is not part of the hockey team.  Studio owners don't go on stage to accept academy awards.  Nobody cares about the owner.  Get out of the picture.  He put himself right in the middle where the captain (Horvat) should be.

However, I think this letter is straightforward and truthful, so I'll give him that!

So the best way to manage an investment  is have zero to do with it? Meh i think if most of us could have a say in how it ran and the resources to do it, ie, learning about it through professionals. I'd do it, if i invest money i surely prefer a hands on option and i'm sure i'm not alone in that.

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McCaw sold the Grizzlies to a US owner in 2001.  He now had full control of the Canucks from Arthur Griffiths.  The dollar was tanking.  There were US buyers interested.  The threat was real. 

Empty threat.  Where were they going to move to?  Buttman already nixed the Seattle option (not that they had a NHL arena anyhow nor would their taxpayers be willing to pay for a new one back then....that's how they lost the Sonics).  Owners make money via expansion fees not via relocation.  Plus they would own an arena with no sports tenant if they relocated.  They can't exactly move that.

I thought the letter was pretty straight forward - they own the team  so I would expect they have input. I know if it was me I would. There is a lot of $ invested

And I believe he sees the same as the majority on here - there is a core group to build around and we are taking steps forward. All is well

A LETTER TO FRANCESCO

Dear Francesco

I would like to thank you and your staff for an entirely entertaining season. As you have also personally stated (we consider you a fan), the majority of your fans, including myself are very happy with the direction the club is headed on. The infusion of young talent is both refreshing and exhilarating, and although I can only see a couple of games a year, due to living on Vancouver Island, and the expenses associated with that, my family gathers at the TV to watch our Vancouver Canucks for every game. It is a family event, with Canuck Jerseys, Canuck hats and Canuck Pj's worn as we sit on our couch. I believe this goes on somewhat in every Canuck household in BC and abroad. (Also as far away as Norway, China and Australia that I know off)

I have been a "Tanker" for the past 4 seasons, including this one, but have always supported Trevor and Jim, and the team, throughout this journey and despite some light objections, I have seen the team grow, and feel we are now on the cusp of our opinions merging. (This is where I wanted to be in this time fame). It is note worthy, because as

a Tanker, and talking with other tankers, we are all getting excited with the teams emergence. It is not only the Pettersson's, Boeser's, Horvat's and Hughes's, but also the Pearsson's, Rousell's, and Beagle's that have delighted us.

We all know, how hard this game is, and the injuries they have experienced through out the years. We have experienced the downs and felt the frustrations, that your players have felt, and I personally feel inspired, when a young Stecher takes a puck to the face, and makes next shift......OUTSTANDING dedication. The same can be said for all our Canucks and the yearly grind they experience. In particular are Tanev and Edler, who both show selfless dedication, game in game out, throughout their whole careers. It is sometimes difficult for us fans to remember or understand how they must feel playing through some of these injuries and the countless ones that are not declared.

To wrap this up, Francesco. I would like to thank you for your undaunting support and large check book, which provides the cash to Jim to make this all happen, and to Jim and Travis for their candid interviews and press conferences, as well as their continuous work in developing the players and on ice product. People forget this is a business, and that not all decisions can be aired, but it is understandable with such a invested fan base that we voice displeasure when not knowing or understanding. After all, as I am sure you remember being a Canuck fan for ever...…..it is our team, not yours! LOL

I would think you understand that, and appreciate our passion.

Now, not to leave you with a feeling of complete appreciation. There is one little item, which I feel you need to consider. In your opening title, you addressed your letter to your ticket holders, and not the fans in general. As I begun this letter by saying, we sit around our television, with our Canuck's merchindise on, watching a TV station that pays the Canucks to air their adds throughout the game. The fans In Prince Rupert and Smithers, Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, Gibsons Landing and Port Hardy, all the shut ins throughout the province, would love for you to also acknowledge them as well.

This is important, as we hope in some small way, we help to ice the very best team you can.

Thank you for your efforts and understanding!...…………. Go Canucks Go!

Regards "Janisahockeynut"

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

What the heck are you talking about?  He’s a great owner, we could and have done much worse.  He’s no little Ceaser or Jeremy Jacobs, he lets his management team do what they have to without anything but speculative interference.  one word Melnyk...why bitch? .  Aqua spent this millions to buy it, is a fan and wants a cup, what’s not to like.  He writes one letter to the fans and that’s arrogant?  Get over yourself, we as fans are lucky to have him.   

Are you one of his kids? Why so defensive? I am not basing it on the one letter.  It's one thing for him to be in the picture but to be in the centre where in the past, the leaders of the Hockey team were, is wrong in my opinion.  He couldn't get along with Trevor Linden for god's sake.  He has interfered at times to the detriment of the rebuild.  

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

So the best way to manage an investment  is have zero to do with it? Meh i think if most of us could have a say in how it ran and the resources to do it, ie, learning about it through professionals. I'd do it, if i invest money i surely prefer a hands on option and i'm sure i'm not alone in that.

I said exactly that, right, he should have zero to do with it? No, I am just pointing out what a huge ego it takes to put yourself in the center of the picture in an entertainment business.  If other owners do it, doesn't make it a good idea.  

The letter says all the right things. There is lots of talk about being patient and that there is no short cuts. He says it is a long process.  Hmmmm

I hope that he is not just saying those things because trying to rush things could set things back. It is in the best interest for them to take it slow. 

I think we will see just how patient they are at UFA time. Big long term contracts for aging veterans is dangerous. Especially for a team that is just starting to rebuild. RIGHT

Cross your fingers for the lottery. Moving up could help the rebuild.

41 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I said exactly that, right, he should have zero to do with it? No, I am just pointing out what a huge ego it takes to put yourself in the center of the picture in an entertainment business.  If other owners do it, doesn't make it a good idea.  

He's part of the team. Players come and go he's the owner and here year after year. 

I don't see why he wouldn't be in the pic.  Ofcourse he would and should be in yearly team pic.

Completely appropriate  

6 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Aquaman is one creepy guy.  The fact that he puts himself in the middle of the team picture is the epitome of arrogance.  I have no idea if other team owners do this, but it is gross.  He is not part of the hockey team.  Studio owners don't go on stage to accept academy awards.  Nobody cares about the owner.  Get out of the picture.  He put himself right in the middle where the captain (Horvat) should be.

However, I think this letter is straightforward and truthful, so I'll give him that!

What an odd thing to piss and moan about.  I would say that anyone who is entrenched in the community as the Aquillinis are, spend to the cap nearly every year (even in the face of successive losing seasons), and also count themselves as fans of the team on the ice are entitled to position themselves anywhere they want in a group/team photo.  For all the negativity that is thrown at CSE and Francesco Aquillini, IMO, he's been a very good owner on multiple fronts. 

16 hours ago, thrago said:

I remember that one of the big fears when Trevor Linden quit was that the owners would try and fast forward the rebuild. They said they would stay the course and they did they are saying the same thing this year. You can't ask for better owners then that if you ask me.

Well we don't know if that is by design or just happend to end up that way.

While the core youth of the team has been impressive management seems to prefer trading for 25 to 30 year olds rather than draft picks (schenn for del zotto, motte for Vanek, and Pearson for Gudbranson) 

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well we don't know if that is by design or just happend to end up that way.

While the core youth of the team has been impressive management seems to prefer trading for 25 to 30 year olds rather than draft picks (schenn for del zotto, motte for Vanek, and Pearson for Gudbranson)  

IMO; this is not all that bad of strategy. Any draft picks that they may have traded for would not likely be high end picks and may take years to develop into NHL players if at all. By supplementing the team with quality veterans such as Beagle, Roussel, Pearson and Schenn it gives the young players a scaffolding of support while the youngsters continue to develop their games.

If JB is able to pick a couple of gems in the first and second rounds in this draft and if some of the prospects in Utica make significant strides in the AHL next year the team will be well on its way to making the playoffs for many years to come....... Good Times Ahead!!!!

Archived