The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kapanen in TO available

7 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Why are we retaining?  Tanev’s contract is the one thing he still has going for him.  

Becuase otherwise TO signs Kapanen...for a little more than Tanev and doesn’t bother.   The incentive is the cap savings...just as much or more than the player

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

To Toronto:
Tanev w/salary retained
Goldobin
Future Considerations

To Van:
Kapanen
Marleau

Vancouver buys out Marleau, takes is 6.25 million dollar cap hit. Leafs re-sign him for cheap. 

While I like the deal. I think you would have to sub a decent draft pick for goldobin to get it done.

Also, why would we buy out Marleau. He's still better than a lot of our top six and only signed for 1 more year.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Offer sheet for Kapanen  at 4 Million , so we pay a 2nd.

Or call up Dubas direct and offer a 2nd round pick and a Dman/ 3 rd pick to sweeten the deal for em

This will be the year of the offer sheet. I believe that Benning gained favor with Dubas this year with the minor deals they did this season. Either offer him the 2nd it will take to get him in compensation or just offer Kapanen the 4 mill+ that TO likely can't match. He's a top 6 forward for the Canucks and it would be a huge get for us.

44 minutes ago, babalu said:

While I like the deal. I think you would have to sub a decent draft pick for goldobin to get it done.

Also, why would we buy out Marleau. He's still better than a lot of our top six and only signed for 1 more year.

Yeah we would just keep Marleau and if we weren’t trending to the playoffs we flip him at the deadline.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

This will be the year of the offer sheet. I believe that Benning gained favor with Dubas this year with the minor deals they did this season. Either offer him the 2nd it will take to get him in compensation or just offer Kapanen the 4 mill+ that TO likely can't match. He's a top 6 forward for the Canucks and it would be a huge get for us.

Looking at all the RFAs this year I think we will see several offer sheets throughout the year.  Kapanen would be a great target but a risk that TO just matches.  Puljujarvi is a similar boat for less but Edmonton may just take the pick.  Either way this should be an exciting off season.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Looking at all the RFAs this year I think we will see several offer sheets throughout the year.  Kapanen would be a great target but a risk that TO just matches.  Puljujarvi is a similar boat for less but Edmonton may just take the pick.  Either way this should be an exciting off season.

There's no risk if TO matches, we just end up screwing over the Leafs and make them pay a million more per year then they ordinarily would have. It's a no lose situation for an offer sheet. Pool party could be had for very little and teams will be smart to take advantage of the Oilers new GM and his willingness to make a deal.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

There's no risk if TO matches, we just end up screwing over the Leafs and make them pay a million more per year then they ordinarily would have. It's a no lose situation for an offer sheet. Pool party could be had for very little and teams will be smart to take advantage of the Oilers new GM and his willingness to make a deal.

Yup, and if it screws TO to match then it just motivates them to make a trade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, and if it screws TO to match then it just motivates them to make a trade.

They already have Zaitsev and Marleau that want out, so that's 10 million right there. They still have Gardiner, Kapanen, Johnsson and Marner to get signed so something has to give.

• Thanks 1

Getting rid of Marleau would make the most sense if he were to waive his NMC.  That would free up enough space for TO to re-sign Johnsson, Marner and get a legit RHD.  They would still need to sacrifice Kapanen unless somebody takes Zaitsev off their hands, which is probably not going to happen.  Marleau is an easy trade if he waives as he only has one year left on his contract.

I'd do a Kapanen and Marleau for this year's 2nd round pick, either Goldobin or Granlund to take Marleau's spot in the lineup plus Tanev 50% retained to help TO sign the other mentioned players.  I think that works for both clubs.  We get Kapanen who can play now in our top 6 versus waiting for our 2nd round pick to develop and TO sheds enough cap space to get all their other players signed plus they get a top 4 RHD in return and a player than can fill a top 9 spot.  

In free agency I'd try and sign either Anders Lee or Micheal Ferland to play the left side with Petey and Brock and then you'd have Kapanen with Pearson and BO.  I would take Matthew Boldy with the 10th overall pick so he can slide into a top 6 role on the left side in a couple years to replace Pearson.

• Upvote 1

I love Kapanen but I believe the system GMJB is creating it amazing and I do not think moving any of his draft picks are ideal because I consider all of his draft picks lottery tickets with increased odds, because its JIM!

All in for Panarin or Karlsson. I think theres a significant chance we land one of the two.

Panarin would be a few hours away from LA, we have specific "California swing" road trips, and our west coast weather is pretty comfortable.

I say we get a seat at his table at the very least, and Pettersson death stares him until he signs Vancouver's deal. 

Pettersson and Panarin could make ALOT of money together. Its the "clout" era, and Vancouver gets it, theres a lot of branding, sponsorship, etc etc opportunities with Vancouver as apposed to sunny Florida I would assume. All we have here is hockey is what im saying. Hockey and overpriced real estate.

• Haha 1

I would only take Kapanen as a sweetener versus trading them valuable assets in return. Or unless it's for like Goldobin. No way I would give them a 1st and especially not pay him 5.5 million at this point.

Let's be real here. 44 points would put him 4th on our team scoring, but would he get those same numbers without the stacked offensive linemates that he had in Toronto? He's young so there's room to grow, but he's not exactly a standout player based on what he has done so far. He's been in the playoffs 3 years in a row and has put up 5 points in 20 games or more recently only 2 in 7 games on a team that supposedly wanted to outscore their opponents. His speed is an assets, but his selling point is that he's been one of TO PK forwards. So with that said, if his offense dips coming here and he's a decent PK guy. He's basically a younger LE and people think LE is at least overpaid by 50% of his contract. Most I would give Kapanen on a contract is a bridge at no more than 3.5 million a season if we did indeed acquire him. He simply would be another middle 6 guy (currently) with potential that we are currently loaded with already as is, but just younger.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Don Meehan (Newport - Subban, Marchand, E Karlsson, Skinner, Tkachuk) was talking about how offer-sheets are more likely now with so many teams close to the cap.  Players might be more willing to sign an offer-sheet than in the past but GMs also have to want to use them. 

Fwiw Renaud Lavoie of TVA sports doesn't think it's likely though.  He thinks only Carolina would dare because Dundon just does his own thing.  He explains that GMs are tight.  He talks about how Holmgren was ostracised after signing Weber to an offer-sheet.  It forced him to step down as GM as no one wanted to pick up his calls anymore.

A few years later the Flyers who had cap trouble, had a deal to send Lecavalier to Nashville but the Predators' ownership vetoed it because of that offer sheet.

In french here: https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/05/31/marner-un-seul-endroit-ou-on-ferait-une-offre-hostile 

Google translates gives this:

"The general managers are [tightly woven]," he told Les Partants on Friday. The only place I think we would make a hostile bid is in Carolina, where the owner of the Hurricanes [Tom Dundon] does not care a bit about everything. He, I would see him impose such things on his director general. But he's the only cowboy who would be willing to do that. "

TVA Sports' hockey expert recalled that one of the last managing directors to have taken the hostile bid avenue regretted it bitterly afterwards. In July 2012, Paul Holmgren submitted a monstrous 14-year, $ 110-million bid to defenseman Shea Weber, but the Nashville Predators tied him.

"No director general wanted to take his calls [later]. For the good of the Flyers, he was forced to retire, "said Lavoie.

Holmgren - who had himself admitted that his relationship with his counterparts has changed - effectively ceded his position as CEO to Ron Hextall in May 2014, being reassigned to the position of president.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Don Meehan (Newport - Subban, Marchand, E Karlsson, Skinner, Tkachuk) was talking about how offer-sheets are more likely now with so many teams close to the cap.  Players might be more willing to sign an offer-sheet than in the past but GMs also have to want to use them. 

Fwiw Renaud Lavoie of TVA sports doesn't think it's likely though.  He thinks only Carolina would dare because Dundon just does his own thing.  He explains that GMs are tight.  He talks about how Holmgren was ostracised after signing Weber to an offer-sheet.  It forced him to step down as GM as no one wanted to pick up his calls anymore.

A few years later the Flyers who had cap trouble, had a deal to send Lecavalier to Nashville but the Predators' ownership vetoed it because of that offer sheet.

In french here: https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/05/31/marner-un-seul-endroit-ou-on-ferait-une-offre-hostile 

Google translates gives this:

The reality of an offer sheet is overpaying a player and then giving up assets as well. If it's a market value deal, it's getting matched for sure and all it does is that you lose out on your bid and get a bad rep. There are some possible scenarios where an offer sheet should work like Toronto's RFAs, and they really are the only team worth offer sheeting for because they are screwing up the league contract-wise with their terrible deals so they cannot have a good rep right now anyway.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It’s hard to tell - did those players ask for trades or is TSN working for MLSE? Tail wagging dog?

Excellent question.  The Toronto Sports Network could just be creating a narrative to support what they believe will help their favourite team...in truth Marleau could be chuckling and saying no way I’d do that, I’m in the car-bird seat and going to eat my cake and enjoy it.   Dubas absolutely must trade some vets to make room or trade his RFAs (which makes no sense at all, they are his cap savings).  

Kadri is the goat, with him in the lineup for seven games they could be in the final instead, no other team has given the Bruins as much problems (so far...but St Louis has to dig deep to beat Boston based on the play so far)...

Trading Kadri and one more cap dump is all they need to do to keep all the young guys together...low hanging fruit IMO.  Marleau ...well him too would fix it all but why the heck wouldn’t he want to go out with the chance to win with his favourite team, first cup in over 50 years too...

The Canucks are in good shape to weaponize their cap space and get a good player or two from some of the cap strapped teams like T.O, Tampa, Vegas. Kapanen would be a good fit with Bo, and could be had for a good price depending on how the Canucks use their own cap space. If the Canucks are willing to help facilitate a trade of Marleau by retaining 50% of his salary while he gets go to a team of his choosing ie: LA, Colo, Ari then Kapanen could possibly be had for Goldbin alone. This would give theeafs what they really need 6.3 mil in cap space, whatever picks they get from the team Marleau is traded to, plus a useful cheap player in Goldobin who could put up 30 to 35 points for them while coming in around a 1 mil for a yr or 2. Also , if the Leafs do not get good offers for Zaitsev Canucks could help them out further by trading for him, what that would take not sure but again it may not be much. Zaitsev is actually fairly good defensively.