• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

So your reasoning is

Because these other award winning, under age 28 defensemen (not you Gardiner) are going to possibly make X, elder should be way overpaid.  Not just overpaid, but over extended as well?

image.png

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 1

No No No.

Edler signs for 3 years 6M, no NMC.

This is the smart move. It is fair value to Edler, and has only one year of term on his contract with him a UFA again following. It greatly reduces the chance that Seattle would bother to pick him up as there would only be one year of term on his contract. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Til Boeser only play max 60 games a season and are nagged by injuries during games... Then certain fans start stabbing him in the back also. 

At 22 Boeser has a lot more life left in him than Edler. and a few more contracts as well. if Boeser scores on the power play in game 1 of the season he will already have more than Edler at the end of the year. Just like with Henrik and Daniel the time has come to move on from Edler. Thank you for your service but your demands do not meet our needs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SealTheDeal said:

No No No.

Edler signs for 3 years 6M, no NMC.

This is the smart move. It is fair value to Edler, and has only one year of term on his contract with him a UFA again following. It greatly reduces the chance that Seattle would bother to pick him up as there would only be one year of term on his contract. 

No No No take that money and spend it on anyone else that can play 80 games a year and doesn't float in a non contract year/. That is the smart move

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

At 22 Boeser has a lot more life left in him than Edler. and a few more contracts as well. if Boeser scores on the power play in game 1 of the season he will already have more than Edler at the end of the year. Just like with Henrik and Daniel the time has come to move on from Edler. Thank you for your service but your demands do not meet our needs.

Definately more life but Boeser has already suffered serious injuries that can affect his career. The last season he played injuried a fair few games. 

So a limited bridgedeal is a must with Boeser or else  some fans will be furious if it goes south after a couple of years. 

Edler showed how important he is when he fell on his face and disappeared. So 2-4 years he is needed depending on who Benning gets. 

What will you say if Boeser play only around 60 gamer per year? 

What is he worth if so? 

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

No No No take that money and spend it on anyone else that can play 80 games a year and doesn't float in a non contract year/. That is the smart move

Even a 70 game per year top pairing defenceman is worth 6M per year easily. The last time I checked the Canucks are not short on cash. If they can land any of the UFA defencemen I'm all for it, and if they can trade for Collins or Zaitsev even, I'm good with that too. If you luck out and get EK and we start t get tighter on cap, there are ways we can clear space and its a good problem to have. But don't kid yourself; Edler will be better than Hutton or Biega or whoever else you think you might slide into his spot. The Canucks need better D. losing Edler is moving backwards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Definately more life but Boeser has already suffered serious injuries that can affect his career. The last season he played injuried a fair few games. 

So a limited bridgedeal is a must with Boeser or else  some fans will be furious if it goes south after a couple of years. 

Edler showed how important he is when he fell on his face and disappeared. So 2-4 years he is needed depending on who Benning gets. 

What will you say if Boeser play only around 60 gamer per year? 

What is he worth if so? 

He is worth a lot more than Edler at 33

17 minutes ago, SealTheDeal said:

Even a 70 game per year top pairing defenceman is worth 6M per year easily. The last time I checked the Canucks are not short on cash. If they can land any of the UFA defencemen I'm all for it, and if they can trade for Collins or Zaitsev even, I'm good with that too. If you luck out and get EK and we start t get tighter on cap, there are ways we can clear space and its a good problem to have. But don't kid yourself; Edler will be better than Hutton or Biega or whoever else you think you might slide into his spot. The Canucks need better D. losing Edler is moving backwards.

your argument on the Canucks having lots of cash is the crux of the issue and the part you don't seem to understand. The defense is not the only place we might like to spend that money. Getting a UFA D man is certainly a priority. Spending anything extra on Edler at 33 is not a smart move. Why do we just have to offer 1 player as a UFA, why cant we have 2 or even 3. Getting a D man to replace an aging Edler would be great. Why don't we try to get 2 D men, or a D man and a winger. I would love to see us land Myers and Lee. Why not Myers and another middling D man to get us some depth so Biega doesn't have to play unless we get more injuries? its not about whether Edler will affect the cap. He hasnt performed well two of the last three years and is likely to decline. Like i said with Henrik and Daniel there comes a time when its time to move on. This is the time.

Edited by mikeyman109

A blast from the past,

There was once a time when this was almost reasonable from ancient archives; note none of the posters exist anymore; some still have multiple accounts running though

Alex Edler for Tyler Myers?

By ROSSCO15, March 14, 2013 in Proposals and Armchair GM'ing

•  

ROSSCO15

• Aces Prospect
  •  
  • ROSSCO15
  • Members
  • 4 posts

How about trading Edler to Buffalo for Tyler Myers.

1253631652.gif

Xbox

• Designated Hitter
  •  
  • Xbox
  • Members
  • 11,565 posts

Buffalo wouldnt do it, and CDC would cry.

Buffalo is short on RD as well

Master Mind

• Canucks Franchise Player
  •  
  • Master Mind
  • Members
  • 12,174 posts

Trade one struggling player for another? I'd rather keep Edler.

5b95629496b96_rangerssigsmaller.jpg.864cb6451b88e8987262f21ef664d50d.jpg

WPG - CFL | WSH - HSG | NYR - CDCP | PHI - BFHL | VAN - GML | TBL - EKL

ROSSCO15

• Aces Prospect
  •  
  • ROSSCO15
  • Members
  • 4 posts

You are probably right,will need to add more from our end. But does make some sense as both players aren't playing well,and a change would both do them good.

1253631652.gif

apollo

• Canucks Franchise Player
  •  
  • apollo
  • Members
  • 12,922 posts

I love eddy but I would do this in a heartbeat. Doubt buffalo would

Untitled.jpg.0ed0f01a90f4e4bc39db98e0bd1c8a18.jpg

Dynasty in the making...

MoneypuckOverlord

• Canucks First-Line
  •  
  • MoneypuckOverlord
  • Members
  • 7,031 posts

stupid idea.

Edler's struggles are overblown. A lot of top pairing dmans around the leauge somewhat struggling. Becuase Edler logs so much ice time, the chances of we noticing his screw ups is much higher because he plays much more.

Terrible idea too, Tyler Myers is struggling much more then Edler. This will be a downright stupid trade.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?

-Jim Benning June 24 2017

Magikal

• Canucks Third-Line
  •  
  • Magikal
  • Members
  • 3,839 posts

Personally I think buffalo would have to add more. Edler, while struggling this season, is a proven high calibre NHL D Man who can produce great offensive numbers when still being solid in his own zone......exception to this season. When you take someone of Edler's abilities, include the fact that when he is on his game his contract is a steal, moving him for a struggling novice jut doesn't make any sense.

Also we should be keeping in mind that it is all but certain that Edler is playing injured. A players performance doesn't just drop off like this without some justification and Edler has never played this poorly before. I don't think Edler should be moved period, but if it has to happen, it has to be for more than a struggling Myers.

wXEly9H.jpg

Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

disisdayear

• Comets Star
  •  
  • Members
  • 501 posts

I wouldn't think twice about doing this deal...and because Edler is such a nice guy, I would drive him to the airport, carry his bags and see to it that he got his executive class boarding pass organized properly.

Buffalo just might do this deal because of the magic Edler and Erhoff have shared in the past. It would make Buffalo a better team...we might regress a little, but we get a kid who has the potential to be the elite d-man that everyone has been screaming for.

thad

• Canucks Second-Line
  •  
  • thad
  • Members
  • 4,351 posts

They have to throw in more. I dunno, if you put edler on the market there would be a massive bidding war. Swapping him for Myers doesn't make us better than a package you could get for him.

If there's a way to get foligno in there I think I do it. Edler Raymond for Myers Foligno 2nd

ice orca

• Canucks First-Line
  •  
  • Members
  • 7,264 posts
On 3/14/2013 at 6:56 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

stupid idea.

Edler's struggles are overblown.  A lot of top pairing dmans around the leauge somewhat struggling.  Becuase Edler logs so much ice time, the chances of we noticing his screw ups is much higher because he plays much more.  

Terrible idea too, Tyler Myers is struggling much more then Edler.  This will be a downright stupid trade.

NP-4815162342

• Comets Regular
  •  
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Myers blows too

Nuxfanabroad

• Canucks All-Star
  •  
  • Members
  • 18,206 posts

It's an interesting notion. Then acquire Hedman & that big-rig fellah(Oleksiak), we'd call it the Redwood D-LINE!

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

He is worth a lot more than Edler at 33

Try to answer my question then. 

If both players play similar like they did this year for the coming 3 seasons, how do you value them? 

Edler has at least 2/3 seasons left before he's replacable. 

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Try to answer my question then. 

If both players play similar like they did this year for the coming 3 seasons, how do you value them? 

Edler has at least 2/3 seasons left before he's replacable. 

Boeser suffered a serious injury from an "Accidental Play". He proved AFTER that he can still produce offensively ,as his point totals show from last season.

Edler showed signs of a decline in foot speed last year and its not going to get better. Remember how quickly the Sedins footspeed and reactions left them? 

I am not sure he will last even "2/3 seasons".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This has been the most frustrating problem that we have had for years. We get going then the injuries come and it all falls to pieces. Love Tanev and Eddie when they play but its time to move on and turn the page.

You don't necessarily move on, you surround them with more legit top 4 depth. We need more top 4 D, not less and Edler is far and away still our best D and not easiliy replaced. Moving on does not give you more or better top 4 D. Tanev on the other hand....Far more easily replaced via UFA/trade, seems to be declining faster than Edler, expiring contract....

As for the OP, you're not entirely wrong @Arrow 1983. CDC always balks at rising contracts as the cap rises. Facts are, first pair D, signed at today's cap, as UFA's (not RFA/bridge deals - and even that is changing) basically start at $6m on the low end and go up to $10m-$14m for a top 5, elite 1D. $6m is basically borderline second pair #2 - #3 D money these days. And Edler is still a #2 D (and will likely remain one or at worst be a #3 on a short 2 year deal).

What's working against him would be his age and injury history. He's also going to want some sort of trade/movement clauses as well which generally knocks some cash off. That said, there's no way he gets $7.5-$8m on a 5 year deal here or anywhere else.

On a two year deal though, you may not be far off on the dollars (if there were no clauses). With clauses, on a two year deal, I think he falls somewhere in the $6.5m-$7.5m range and would be perfectly happy to sign him in that range. Three years and that hit needs to start coming down a lot closer to $6m+/- and no NMC for the ED. I doubt I'd even do four years at all but theoretically that hit would have to be closer to $5m. I don't even consider anything at five or more years.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The question is, if they don't resign him to a market contract, who do they replace him with?  No dman on the team, currently, can fill his spot.

He'd be hard to replace for sure, but we're just starting the off season and there's a ton of trade talk involving us. So I say wait and see what happens over the summer with that. Perhaps we'll have a replacement. Perhaps not.

14 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

We will see if that is true on July 1st is see big money for Edler 

After thinking about it. If another team's going to give that kind of contract to Edler. Let them. It's their mistake at that point and not our's ;)