The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We'd almost certainly have to add to Marky FWIW. Our 2nd? Perhaps a prospect? Maybe Tanev to actually fit the match up role they've been square pegging Risto in to etc 

Do they expect UPL to be there starter as soon as this year? Doubt it. I'm thinking they want to actually start competing sooner than later and would want a solid netminder to do so and eventually tandem with/backup UPL.

I wouldnt wanna trade Markstrom right now. Would totally nullify improving the D & put us no further ahead. Still time to figure out the ED.

Maybe Tanev works in a swap, who knows. And do we want to give up picks? It would be easier to stomach if we had extra ones.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I wouldnt wanna trade Markstrom right now. Would totally nullify improving the D & put us no further ahead. Still time to figure out the ED.

Maybe Tanev works in a swap, who knows. And do we want to give up picks? It would be easier to stomach if we had extra ones.

You replace him with a competent UFA.

Adding a legit top 4 D, to an improving Demko and a solid vet UFA with Ian Clarke goalie whispering them sure doesn't sound like 'nullifying' to me...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem with this line of thinking is if you did the exact same thing with pick 14, for example, you get players like Grabner, Shattenkirk, Kulikov, Baertschi, McAvoy etc.

10's just been unlucky. I mean you can even look at 2003 and see Andrei Kostitsyn as opposed to most of the other 1st round picks of that entire draft class.  but considering how successful later picks have been, I don't think a single pick being "unlucky" is what GM's are going to look at when appraising value.

My argument isn't focused on the 10th pick but rather every pick after 5-7. The odds of drafting a ristolainen caliber defensman after those top few picks happens less and less every year.  Its like that family guy skit. 

Why go for the mystery box hoping for a boat when you can just pick the boat.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller's one of those scary UFA's this summer if you want him back so bad :P

I fail to see how Demko + Lehner/Mrazek etc + 6'4 Ristolainen in front of them is 'cratering the goaltending'. 

Yay hyperbole! :bored:

Plus we have the goalie coach don't forget.

A very good goalie coach at that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I'd be fine with 10th OA for risto. If they could figure out how to ship Luiser with that pick I'd call it a home run

Risto has his warts, but a 6'4 RH Dman that can make plays and shoot the puck...who genuinely seems poised to explode offensively any minute...

I'm doing it. He and Q. Hughes could do some very real damage on the PP.

I really hope we can build a package around Tanev + secondary prospects for him, though. I'd really like to keep that pick.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Risto has his warts, but a 6'4 RH Dman that can make plays and shoot the puck...who genuinely seems poised to explode offensively any minute...

I'm doing it. He and Q. Hughes could do some very real damage on the PP.

I really hope we can build a package around Tanev + secondary prospects for him, though. I'd really like to keep that pick.

Would Risto just be another Guddy though?  We don't need to make any more mistakes.

• Wat 1

51 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Absolutely not. Bogosion hasn’t played more than 65 games in a season in 9 years. Not since 2010 has he played a full season. Guys more of a bandaid than Chris Tanev and that’s saying a lot. The Canucks need guys in the top 4 that can stay healthy and not force #6 and AHL caliber D to  play roles way above their heads. 

Oh I wonder who Buffalo has had playing on the penalty kill on the right side besides Bogosian? Doesn't sound like Ristolainen has been doing much of that. The other right handed guy they have is Brandon Montour. Also another offensive guy. What does that tell you? It tells me that BOGO has been playing as hard of minutes as Tanev with no one capable of having his back and as soon as he has gotten injured, the team has floundered again and again. How much do you wanna bet if we have both BOGO and Tanev on the same team that next season, we have a top 5 to top 10 PK and that neither of these guys are getting injured so badly?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Risto just be another Guddy though?  We don't need to make any more mistakes.

He brings offence, Guddy didn't. Maybe JB is building a team that wins games 6-5.

If we re-sign Edler,

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Not too bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We can’t “not” make moves because another move was a mistake in the past.

Ristolainen is a legitimate top 4 guy who is just a little miscast in his current role... kind of like we give Edler crap for not being a true #1like he almost was... but forget that he is still our best D.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Is Demko, Boeser and the 10th for Dahlin even remotely possible?  I would do it.  I am not sure the Sabers would.

That's 3 roster player for one superstar. It will set us back few years. I wouldn't do it.

Well now, a rumor that got me intrigued. 

I really want us to pick in the first round, but if it’s Ristolainen coming the other way, I’d be happy with moving the pick and then some. 

Maybe Tanev on the move? Can trading him generate a later 1st round pick? Prices are going through the roof and decent contracts seem to be more and more difficult to find. His injury history being what it is, he’d still be a great addition to a top team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

He brings offence, Guddy didn't. Maybe JB is building a team that wins games 6-5.

If we re-sign Edler,

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Not too bad. 

Yes, not too bad, but is it better than we had?  Risto was in over his head playing top minutes in Buffalo.  They guy was minus a million, and terrible defensively.  I would be okay getting him here, but not at the cost of more than a second and a B level prospect.  I could see JB moving Gaudette for Risto, and I think that would be too much.  

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@SabreFan1 Is Ristolainen's brutal +/- entirely on him or is that a product of the team?

Both. 

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I've talked to him about it before. I know hes not a fan. I'm curious to hear more of what he has to say.

Risto shoots towards the net and prays that it ends up on target or at least close enough for someone to redirect it in.  The one thing coaches love about him is that he's a workhorse who eats minutes up like nothing.  That and he's rarely injured.

Think of Risto like a slightly better Tyler Myers with better stamina and fewer injuries.  He's the reason why the Sabres traded Myers to the Jets in the first place.

Just don't look at Risto's advanced career analytics if the Canucks land him.  You'll cry. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2