The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And Miller is not a third liner but it’s about spreading out the scoring.

You need to have a top line very strong spreading your top 6 into 3 lines not a smart move?

Look at Oilers and Colorado?? Say no more??????

1.Miller {24 -28G }-  Petey {30 G } - Hoglander { 20G }

2.Podkolzin  { 19G }- { Horvat 24 - 28G } -Boeser 26-30 G

3.Pearson{ G16 -19}   ______          Motte {17 -20 G }Speed

Possibly 6 guys with 20 or more goals..Need a speedy #3 C with some talent or a  #2 winger like Hoffman 32 next season,

6 seasons between 22- 36 goals ..This past season GP 52 - 17 G  -- 36 points ... At 32 yrs old you don't want a long contract..

Last season 1 yr X 4 million...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

You need to have a top line very strong spreading your top 6 into 3 lines not a smart move?

Possibly 6 guys with 20 or more goals..Need a speedy #3 C with some talent or a  #2 winger like Hoffman 32 next season,

6 seasons between 22- 36 goals ..This past season GP 52 - 17 G  -- 36 points ... At 32 yrs old you don't want a long contract..

Hoping for 20 goals for Motter is extremely wishful thinking. Don’t get me wrong, I love him as a player, but if he’s a mainstay in our top 6 then we are in big trouble. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Hoping for 20 goals for Motter is extremely wishful thinking. Don’t get me wrong, I love him as a player, but if he’s a mainstay in our top 6 then we are in big trouble. 

Not top 6? I said 3rd line, he would be a 17 -20 goal guy playing as much as Pearson...

Motte 24 yrs old -  GP 24 - G 6   -- PTS  8     - 4th line and PK

Pearon 28 yrs old -GP 51 - G 10-- PTS 18   - Playing with Horvat - 2nd PP --- 2nd line --16 min -TOI - Big trouble if Pearson is playing with Horvat..

Pearson has to be on 3rd line... ...Horvat needs talented wingers, 

• Like 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Not top 6? I said 3rd line, he would be a 17 -20 goal guy playing as much as Pearson...

Motte 24 yrs old -  GP 24 - G 6   -- PTS  8     - 4th line and PK

Pearon 28 yrs old -GP 51 - G 10-- PTS 18   - Playing with Horvat - 2nd PP --- 2nd line --16 min -TOI - Big trouble if Pearson is playing with Horvat..

Pearson has to be on 3rd line... ...Horvat needs talented wingers, 

My mistake, read that as having motte in the top 6. Regardless I still think it’s a stretch to have him at 20 goals. Agree that it would be nice to have Pearson on the 3rd line, would mean that we have some good depth. I think having Pod in the lineup will be a good boost to the top 6. He’ll be a good match with Horvat. 

23 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

My mistake, read that as having motte in the top 6. Regardless I still think it’s a stretch to have him at 20 goals. Agree that it would be nice to have Pearson on the 3rd line, would mean that we have some good depth. I think having Pod in the lineup will be a good boost to the top 6. He’ll be a good match with Horvat. 

I agree with you..Will be very interesting the moves the management team make..

We have a great core?

I like Scmidt but he will never be the #1 D man with Hughes here...I don't thing we seen the Scmidt talent level yet...

Core 1. Petey 22  2.Hughes 21  3. Horvat 25  4.Demko 24--5. Boeser 24  6. Podkolzin 20  7. Hoglander 20  8. Rathbone 22  9.Miller 28

Very exciting young core except Miller 28 being the oldest..

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, wildcam said:

Well if you throw Miller as a 2c and horvat as a 3c it’s all good.  Replace Miller with someone 

Just now, sassbs said:

Well if you throw Miller as a 2c and horvat as a 3c it’s all good.  Replace Miller with someone 

I keep Horvat 2nd C with Pearson and drop Hoglander to the 3rd line with Miller as 3rd C.

???-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-???

Hoglander-Miller-???

Each line has a pair that work together. Fill the ??? with Pod/Gadjo/Lind and call it a day.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:14 AM, stawns said:

If Miller is playing C then you can bet Petey isnt

This is a recurring theme that I'm not convinced about. I get that EP:s been sheltered with faceoffs and D zone coverage by Miller, but a) has EP ever not lived up to the challenge? Remember when everybody said he couldn't be a center coming in as a rookie and that he needed time in the minors? b) who sheltered him his first season when Miller wasn't around? He seemed to do ok then

Not saying you're wrong, but I think either it's time to let EP be the go to guy at C or convert him to a winger that can play center on occasion.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

This is a recurring theme that I'm not convinced about. I get that EP:s been sheltered with faceoffs and D zone coverage by Miller, but a) has EP ever not lived up to the challenge? Remember when everybody said he couldn't be a center coming in as a rookie and that he needed time in the minors? b) who sheltered him his first season when Miller wasn't around? He seemed to do ok then

Not saying you're wrong, but I think either it's time to let EP be the go to guy at C or convert him to a winger that can play center on occasion.

Let's be honest, until this season Petey hasn't played C in the NHL until this year.  He was listed as a cman, but he was on the wing all until.  It's not a knock on him, being a cman in the NHL is tough, especially when you're a blossoming star and get all the attention from the best defensive players night in and night out.  I do believe he has the defensive chops to pull it off, but he has a loooooooong way to go in the dot before they even remotely look at him as a viable, full time cman.  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Let's be honest, until this season Petey hasn't played C in the NHL until this year.  He was listed as a cman, but he was on the wing all until.  It's not a knock on him, being a cman in the NHL is tough, especially when you're a blossoming star and get all the attention from the best defensive players night in and night out.  I do believe he has the defensive chops to pull it off, but he has a loooooooong way to go in the dot before they even remotely look at him as a viable, full time cman.  

He played centre except for face offs because Miller was better at face off's that's not unusual. What was unusual was the way Miller took his face offs ( I think others are catching on ) he frequently takes his face off on the fore hand and he really slashes his opponents stick first off. I take time time and interest in Millers face off technic LOL

17 hours ago, sassbs said:

JB said he wants three legit scoring lines which makes moving Miller to the middle make sence.

Petey

Horvat

Miller

Order really doesn't matter as they'd be rolled evenly.

The bigger concern would be the wingers filling the wing spots.

Miller in the middle leaves a big hole to fill on the left side.

Hoglander is a natural left winger but he played most of last season on the right side with Pearson and Horvat. I really liked that line and would like it to stay together.

Podkolzin is also a lefty that plays the right side. I would assume nothing changes here.

So:

?                    Petey               Boeser

Pearson               Horvat              Hoglander

?                    Miller                Podkolzin

?                         ?                   Macewen

The holes are glaring no matter who you put where.

• Like 1

O

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

So who played center EP:s first season while he finished +3 on a losing team (granted with sheltered deployment)?

Not trying to be a smart guy, EP for sure needs to be better in the dot and matching up against faster/heavier opponents in the D zone, but I don't think it's as black and white as you put it that he hasn't played C or won't be able to excel in that role going forward.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

He played centre except for face offs because Miller was better at face off's that's not unusual. What was unusual was the way Miller took his face offs ( I think others are catching on ) he frequently takes his face off on the fore hand and he really slashes his opponents stick first off. I take time time and interest in Millers face off technic LOL

This is something I’ve noticed as well. He takes face offs like he’s ticked off lol 

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

JB said he wants three legit scoring lines which makes moving Miller to the middle make sence.

Petey

Horvat

Miller

Hoglander is a natural left winger but he played most of last season on the right side with Pearson and Horvat. I really liked that line and would like it to stay together.

Podkolzin is also a lefty that plays the right side. I would assume nothing changes here.

So:

Motte and Highmore fill the third and fourth line spots.  We would need a first line winger.  Do we play Gads in the top 9, and move other wingers around?  Or do we sign a UFA?  Winger are easier, and cheaper to get than centres, especially ones who play up the lineup.  

And back to Podkolzin :) He is going to stay in Riga with the team, even though Vasily will not play. Sounds like forward Tarasenko from St Louis and defenceman Orlov from Washington are going to join the main roster for the world championship. Goalie Samsonov from Washington was called up but his NHL club did not approve this since he was not still 100% healthy.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Motte and Highmore fill the third and fourth line spots.  We would need a first line winger.  Do we play Gads in the top 9, and move other wingers around?  Or do we sign a UFA?  Winger are easier, and cheaper to get than centres, especially ones who play up the lineup.  

As offensive wingers?

Motte's ok but he's not a big point producer and I saw nothing to suggest Highmore belongs on a scoring line either.

15 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Petey

Horvat

Miller

So:

Hoglander can definitely move to the left if need be over keeping that line together and the 3C money gets spent on a higher end lw.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hoglander can definitely move to the left if need be over keeping that line together and the 3C money gets spent on a higher end lw.

What about playing Pods as third line centre?  Big, strong, fast, skilled, super smart, high compete, and a defensively responsible guy.  

Thats it!  Pods is now our third line centre.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1