The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

How does a Hoglander Miller Podz line look… like a nightmare for any one else.  

heck put Petey in between them.  I think they might be like lightning good at turning over the puck and scoring back breaking goals with that young line.  

This kid has effort, will be hard on the puck and take it to the dangerous area.  

We have a team guys.   A legit real team with good to better depth at all positions and youth.  

This group is the dark-horse team in the west, just like two seasons ago.  

they went thru hell and stayed together, the temps have been moved out and there is a super solid core that is under contract for some time. 

This is as good a line up as was the pre 2011 team.  

more hunger and Horvat is a more serious harder captain who has been thru it all, like Linden.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

How does a Hoglander Miller Podz line look… like a nightmare for any one else.  

heck put Petey in between them.  I think they might be like lightning good at turning over the puck and scoring back breaking goals with that young line.  

This kid has effort, will be hard on the puck and take it to the dangerous area.  

We have a team guys.   A legit real team with good to better depth at all positions and youth.  

This group is the dark-horse team in the west, just like two seasons ago.  

they went thru hell and stayed together, the temps have been moved out and there is a super solid core that is under contract for some time. 

This is as good a line up as was the pre 2011 team.  

more hunger and Horvat is a more serious harder captain who has been thru it all, like Linden.  

That might happen if Sutter is out for awhile, but if he comes back, I expect Miller back between Petey and Boes, with Dickenson as 3C.  I'd love to see Hogz and Podz together, but I don't see TG breaking up Horvat's line

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, fully agree. Had a few good hits, made some really nice passes that generated scoring chances, a good rush (though I missed it due to an ever-buffering snet now feed), and was playing well positionally in his own zone. I can't wait to see what he can do playing alongside better, more offensive minded players.

had similar problems with SNNow

The problem with Podkolzin is clearly mental not physical. His development was delayed with his stint in Russia. Playing in Sweden, Hoglander knew his identity as a play driver and possession guy. Podkolzin is still searching for an identity in the NHL. Is he a skilled power forward like Miller? Is he a good 2 way forward like Pearson? Is he a bottom 6 checker who kills penalties and plays a matching role? This is where by reputation Travis Green is expected to help his young player to shine in the NHL. 

15 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

had similar problems with SNNow

Me too, the feed would freeze every few minutes and then skip ahead. I had to restart it once as well. Sad when I'm paying for a service that doesn't work as well as an illegal stream :(

Podz did have his best game. This must be such a huge adjustment for him, I think he's being overly cautious and Travis' chat with him looks to have instilled some confidence. Probably told him to play hard and not worry about making mistakes. Travis has a lot of time for players that play hard, even if they do make a few mistakes along the way.

Edited by Strawbone

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Podkolzin was right up there with Hogs and Bo as the best forwards on the ice last night. He had his best shift in the last minute or two of the third, go back and watch, he made two passes that few players make.  He also made a rush behind the net to create a chance on a wrap around where he beat his defender down the boards in the third.  He got hit, but just leaned in on one leg, cool  move that showed just how strong and solid he is.

This kid is going to be legit.

He threw a few impressive hits. He is very strong. Nothing to get excited about as he adjusts to the NA game. Quite happy to watch him gain confidence. 

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Just like Petey and Quinn, there will be no holding him back.

Start him up and watch him go.

These next few games, he's gonna be ramp'n it up.

By the time the season starts, he'll have the Coil figured out, and they'll already be tired of him.

He's only behind Brock and Garland on RW already (imo, of course).

Another Calder candidate.

I would love to be wrong about this but I don’t think Podz will generate enough points to be in serious consideration for the Calder discussion. Points have always been the most valued aspect in terms of the Calder trophy.

21 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I would love to be wrong about this but I don’t think Podz will generate enough points to be in serious consideration for the Calder discussion. Points have always been the most valued aspect in terms of the Calder trophy.

Podz can score.

There is no thing he cannot do.

20 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

He would essentially have to work himself on to PP1 to make that happen. Chiasson currently being tested there, so could happen, but doubtful. 

9 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Just like Petey and Quinn, there will be no holding him back.

Start him up and watch him go.

These next few games, he's gonna be ramp'n it up.

By the time the season starts, he'll have the Coil figured out, and they'll already be tired of him.

He's only behind Brock and Garland on RW already (imo, of course).

Another Calder candidate.

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I think Podz is around 8th in Calder betting right now. If he gets a decent amount of top six and PP icetime he could get enough points to be a Calder finalist. 

• Like 1

Don`t you guys think He is smarter than all Rookies He just start to realize NHL is not much different from SKL  and he can keep up and be at his game which just start to pay off

He did not want to show off, but watch every game he will get  better no he knows the guys he pays against ain`t much better  

So let the game begin

• Cheers 2

On 10/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Nope, you aren't wrong. I don't know what his ceiling will be in this league, but his development into a scorer is going to take some time.

Just now, kloubek said:

Nope, you aren't wrong. I don't know what his ceiling will be in this league, but his development into a scorer is going to take some time.

Yup. And thank you for your well reasoned post. Some truly terrrrrrilble takes on this forum of late. I mean, more than the usual frequency. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup. And thank you for your well reasoned post. Some truly terrrrrrilble takes on this forum of late. I mean, more than the usual frequency. 

Our fan base is very excitable. And Podz has some obvious coveted attributes. I'm pretty excited to see what he will become as well... but we aren't going to see that immediate impact like we've come to expect from Bennings top picks. Expectations are too high for a kid that hasn't proven much, nor is seasoned enough to make a big impact on the scoresheet. 

I just feel pressure to perform right away isn't going to do him any favours. Let him find his way naturally as he continues to be receptive to coaching input, and I'm hopeful we will see him blossom before our eyes.