The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Didn't we just win 2 games?

Sure, but you know that a 2W in the column don't say the whole story. You can't settle for ugly wins.

The way they played against weak teams lead to think there are still upgrades to make, that's the diference between less ambitious team and successfull one. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina

Just now, flat land fish said:

A young guy line of pod hog and Petey might be what the doctor ordered 

Petey and Pods played really well together.  I’m hoping Green goes back to that too, and with Hogs on the line too.  

Pearson, Bo, Garland

Hogs, Petey, Pods

Dickinson, Miller, Bess

Highmore, Dowling, ?

My preference would be that Podz be put back in for the home opener. I understand the thinking that a coach is hesitant to change a winning lineup so I certainly won’t be surprised or freak out if he sits again. I do honestly think that Podz can gain some insight from watching a few games from on up high in the arena. The one thing I think Podz could definitely improve on is his pace and work rate and I think he probably got a good look at the overall pace of the NHL game from the press box vantage point. 

I’m of the opinion that Travis Green has done an overall very good job with our young players so I’m not going to be overly critical of how Podz is being handled. I have a sneaky feeling that when Podz does get back in he’s going to look like a different player. If not….I’m not opposed to some time in Abby for him. Imagine Podz and Dan Klim destroying fools in the AHL. :towel:

• Cheers 1

Green will be public enemy number 1 if he doesn’t slot Podz into the home opener roster. We do have last change so keep him away from Minny’s top two lines will not be too much of a challenge. maybe try this lineup at practice tomorrow. 

Pearson Bo Garland 

Miller Dick Boeser

Hogs Petey Podz

Dowling JL Highmore 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Dowling 57% FOW% plus 2 goals.

Ehhh...there's an asterisk to those stats.

The 57% FOW% is on only 14 draws. His career average is exactly 50%.

One of his goals was an empty netter, which can't be valued as highly.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

In reserve

Two Russian hockey players in the NHL unexpectedly found themselves in the reserve, missed the last two matches, while they have no health problems. They began to educate Vasily Podkolzin, although he does not need it at all. The attacker treated any decisions of the coach positively, if he did not like something, he kept it deep within himself, not intending to show dissatisfaction in public. Planted in the third period? Well, that's how the coach sees it, it's okay. They are released three or four times in a twenty-minute period - Vasily tried to use each shift to the fullest. He was visible in the moments when he appeared on the ice, did not serve the number, and it was clear that he was serious about his chances. But then he was transferred to the stands. It suddenly seemed to Trevor Green that "a young hockey player needs to watch the match from above."

This is a purely educational measure. Such methods were used in relation to Pavel Buchnevich in the Rangers, to Nikita Tryamkin in the same Vancouver, but in those situations it could be easily understood and explained. Pavel tried to play the hockey that he liked, and Tryamkin deserved it. But what Podkolzin was guilty of is completely incomprehensible. It seems that he just got to the wrong coach. Hopefully, the managers will order Green not to invent, but to use the player from the first round of the draft better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, keyman said:

In reserve

Two Russian hockey players in the NHL unexpectedly found themselves in the reserve, missed the last two matches, while they have no health problems. They began to educate Vasily Podkolzin, although he does not need it at all. The attacker treated any decisions of the coach positively, if he did not like something, he kept it deep within himself, not intending to show dissatisfaction in public. Planted in the third period? Well, that's how the coach sees it, it's okay. They are released three or four times in a twenty-minute period - Vasily tried to use each shift to the fullest. He was visible in the moments when he appeared on the ice, did not serve the number, and it was clear that he was serious about his chances. But then he was transferred to the stands. It suddenly seemed to Trevor Green that "a young hockey player needs to watch the match from above."

This is a purely educational measure. Such methods were used in relation to Pavel Buchnevich in the Rangers, to Nikita Tryamkin in the same Vancouver, but in those situations it could be easily understood and explained. Pavel tried to play the hockey that he liked, and Tryamkin deserved it. But what Podkolzin was guilty of is completely incomprehensible. It seems that he just got to the wrong coach. Hopefully, the managers will order Green not to invent, but to use the player from the first round of the draft better.

This just sounds like a random opinion piece not unlike what you get on this forum.

At this point I don't know what's happening with Podz. I doubt anyone really knows aside from the internal people. However, I think as long as we're winning games and stay healthy. I have a hard time thinking Podz will be in the lineup.

Once someone gets injured (we know that will happen) I'm sure Podz will be in the lineup. If other people get called up and put in instead of Podz, only then will I start to worry.

Keep in mind, the kid just came over from the KHL. He has a whole different ice rink to figure out, a higher speed game to figure out, pretty much everything to figure out, and I think some of you who want him in are ignoring this. I could have told you before he came over that he would need time to adjust and probably wouldn't have been in the lineup to begin with. It's the fans overhyping him that make it seem like he should be in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Keep in mind, the kid just came over from the KHL. He has a whole different ice rink to figure out, a higher speed game to figure out, pretty much everything to figure out, and I think some of you who want him in are ignoring this. I could have told you before he came over that he would need time to adjust and probably wouldn't have been in the lineup to begin with. It's the fans overhyping him that make it seem like he should be in.

His whole time with SKA St Petersburg was played in an NHL sized rink. He'd have had to adjust on road games played in some arenas that were Finnish size, and others that are still international dimensions.  He'd be very comfortable playing here or on the road.

20 hours ago, Googlie said:

His whole time with SKA St Petersburg was played in an NHL sized rink. He'd have had to adjust on road games played in some arenas that were Finnish size, and others that are still international dimensions.  He'd be very comfortable playing here or on the road.

It's still a different game over here though, so to expect him to actually feel comfortable over here is still going to be a tall order.

Simply put, the NHL is not the KHL. It's still that higher tier. This is evident by the number of Russians who come over here, seemingly expect to play well out of the gate, and then don't.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:35 AM, The Lock said:

This just sounds like a random opinion piece not unlike what you get on this forum.

At this point I don't know what's happening with Podz. I doubt anyone really knows aside from the internal people. However, I think as long as we're winning games and stay healthy. I have a hard time thinking Podz will be in the lineup.

Once someone gets injured (we know that will happen) I'm sure Podz will be in the lineup. If other people get called up and put in instead of Podz, only then will I start to worry.

He just seems to react to the play a bit slower, instead of having the game come to him. Don't worry it'll come to him as he gets practice time in the homestand. New system, new team, new city, new Country, and an entirely new language to learn. Hell as we heard yesterday, trying to figure out the drills in practice is a learning experience.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

He just seems to react to the play a bit slower, instead of having the game come to him. Don't worry it'll come to him as he gets practice time in the homestand. New system, new team, new city, new Country, and an entirely new language to learn. Hell as we heard yesterday, trying to figure out the drills in practice is a learning experience.

For sure. I'm not worried. I think part of the whole point of my post was to say not to worry at this point. lol

People seem quick to point blame if they don't see him in the lineup just yet. I'm quickly getting reminded why I'm often not on this board during the start of each season. Simply put, some fans are a little mentally insane. lol

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

It's still a different game over here though, so to expect him to actually feel comfortable over here is still going to be a tall order.

Simply put, the NHL is not the KHL. It's still that higher tier. This is evident by the number of Russians who come over here, seemingly expect to play well out of the gate, and then don't.

I agree 100%  .... further evidenced by the number of fringe NHL'ers who go there and excel.  #' 2 and 3 in KHL scoring after 21 games are Canadians Phillippe Maillet and Daniel Audette.  Maillet had a couple of games with Washington, and Audette never played a game for Montreal who drafted him.  (Goldobin is fifth)

• Cheers 1

Would like to see Podkolzin have some continuity with linemates. Ever since stepping in he has been on a full rotation of trios which is no help to a young player.

Like they did for Horvat where they basically sandwiched him between Dorsett and Hansen, they need to be intentional in putting him with a veteran and leaving him with that player to help bring him a long and help develop his confidence. If you want him with Miller, leave him with Miller, if you want him with Dickinson than leave him with him.

Real shame that Brandon Sutter is ill and unable to play at the moment due recovering from long covid. He would've been a perfect mentor for Podz.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1