The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Kids got a great sense of humour with all of this too.. beauty.

- And the last thing: McDavid has already scored a hat-trick, two goals ahead of you.

- I was also surprised that some all the questions are serious ... And about McDavid - we will catch up.

• Cheers 1

The majority of NHL players start on the fourth line as young bucks and have to work their way up the lineup.  Remember Kesler and Burrows?  Started on the fourth line, did PK duties and slowly worked their way up.  Kesler topped out at 2C since he had Henrik ahead of him while here.  Burr eventually played up and down the lineup but it took him a while.  It's fine for Podkolzin to start on the fourth line.  He's not quite at the level of Pettersson or Hughes and can't be dropped in to first line minutes right off the bat.  Even Hoglander is a bit of an anomaly with the bulk of his rookie season being spent on the second line.  It would be a beautiful thing if Podkolzin could regularly play 1st or 2nd line minutes by the end of the season as that means he is outperforming someone already there.  Our top six is currently no joke.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I am pleasantly surprised by Podz play so far.
Obviously he is very raw and young, but so far you can see a fairly mature game.  
He isn’t a defensive liability. 
His dangles and hands are a lot better than I expected.  
He has solid puck control and defends the puck very well for a kid.  
Big league shot. 
Looks like a big strong guy out there.  

I really look forward to watching his development.  He looks to be a real gamer.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Let this be a message to all of you young fans that are hoping to make the NHL one day.  Work hard, utilize your talent to create plays as best as possible, score a goal, and be ready to get benched.

Don't they have a set amount of games they can play before they are considered full time NHL player and it takes a year of the NHL contract or counts toward RFA status? like when Bo made the team after 9 games or whatever it was and they all congratulated him on making the team as he wasn't getting sent down to the AHL.

Maybe they just want different match ups for Podz to see where he is at as a player vs specific types of competition? and to do so in a set amount of games played? these are all questions and i am not making a statement. just not sure how these contracts and such all work these days.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Let this be a message to all of you young fans that are hoping to make the NHL one day.  Work hard, utilize your talent to create plays as best as possible, score a goal, and be ready to get benched.

Tons of rookies only play sporadically until they are NHL consistent players. No need for making up drama.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

It is common with junior coaches and minor league coaches who want to send a message to a player that they are in charge.  Even after you get your first goal buddy remember I am the one who determines whether you get playing time of not.

Green's only NHL experience is what we have all witnessed as the coach of the 

Canucks.  He has no other NHL experience. He is using a minor league move here. Whether you agree with him or not it is a minor league move.

I really would like to see this team with an experienced NHL coach to take them to the next level.

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

14 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

It is common with junior coaches and minor league coaches who want to send a message to a player that they are in charge.  Even after you get your first goal buddy remember I am the one who determines whether you get playing time of not.

Green's only NHL experience is what we have all witnessed as the coach of the 

Canucks.  He has no other NHL experience. He is using a minor league move here. Whether you agree with him or not it is a minor league move.

I really would like to see this team with an experienced NHL coach to take them to the next level.

It was a joke of a coaching decision to dress Chiasson (who played 7 mins) and Dowling over Podkolzin.

Brent Sutter joined the Islanders part way through the 1981-82 season, He had 41

points in 41 games, and 5 points in his first 2 playoff games. Then Al Arbour greatly

reduced his ice time for a few games. He didn't want Brent to get too cocky. Brent 

went on to play a decade with the Islanders and served as the team captain for

several years. Arbour was a great coach.

5 minutes ago, allegend said:

Brent Sutter joined the Islanders part way through the 1981-82 season, He had 41

points in 41 games, and 5 points in his first 2 playoff games. Then Al Arbour greatly

reduced his ice time for a few games. He didn't want Brent to get too cocky. Brent 

went on to play a decade with the Islanders and served as the team captain for

several years. Arbour was a great coach.

Lol partner.  This is an opinion not fact.  You have to give specifics if you want to compare ancient history to a specific situation that is current.  What games did he sit?  What games did he play less. etc etc. What you have said is just a take on something 40 years ago without any support for anyone to possibly know whether it is true or not, or in any way relates to the current situation with Podkolzin, which everyone witnessed this week.

And what is your point?  Al Arbour was a great coach so Green is too?  Lol.  Buddy buddy buddy...

No, Green is not a great NHL coach, but Arbour was.

Maybe Green picked up some ideas from Arbour. Who

knows? Brent barely played in the third and fourth games.

He did play regularly the rest of the playoffs, including

in the four game sweep of the Canucks in the final.

17 minutes ago, allegend said:

No, Green is not a great NHL coach, but Arbour was.

Maybe Green picked up some ideas from Arbour. Who

knows? Brent barely played in the third and fourth games.

He did play regularly the rest of the playoffs, including

in the four game sweep of the Canucks in the final.

All good my friend. The point is Pod has played the very first 4 games in his career and got benched. Not the same as someone playing 3 games in 80/81 then 41 games in 81/82 then getting reduced playing time in the playoffs but still not getting benched.

But listen I absolutely agree if Arbour in his prime was available we would love to have him.  

My point simply was that Green used a minor league tactic to send a message to a rookie.  I don't agree.  I think Podz could have used some more playing time and actually should only get benched when he does something wrong, not simply for the AHL coach to send a message.

But that's just me and maybe Al Arbour talking... lol.