The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I think Podz needs to work on his skating. I really like his game overall, and I think he's going to be a long term player for us, but I can't help but think about how much better he'd be doing with better footwork.. It honestly looks like he's out there with unsharpened skates at times. Bo needs to hook him up with his skating coach. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I think Podz needs to work on his skating. I really like his game overall, and I think he's going to be a long term player for us, but I can't help but think about how much better he'd be doing with better footwork.. It honestly looks like he's out there with unsharpened skates at times. Bo needs to hook him up with his skating coach. 

He’s a real fast skater but I agree he’s got some choppiness in his edge work. Sometimes it looks like hes trying to maneuver a certain way but his footwork is limiting that. 

Though I must say he’s the fastest skater on the team. He’s blazingly quick in a straight line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Odd. said:

He’s a real fast skater but I agree he’s got some choppiness in his edge work. Sometimes it looks like hes trying to maneuver a certain way but his footwork is limiting that. 

Though I must say he’s the fastest skater on the team. He’s blazingly quick in a straight line.

Yeah his straight line speed is fine, especially for a guy with his bulk he looks like a freight train. Its his overall maneuverability, edgework, balance etc that looks like it needs some work. Like I said I watch him and sometimes it honestly looks like they forgot to sharpen his skates. He's performing well as a rookie and clearly has good work ethic and drive so if they were to hook him up with a good skating coach like Bo got, I think he'd absolutely take off.

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

At his age, it’s rare to be defensively sound as he is. Tonight he had quite a few turnovers, but overall, his defensive positioning and awareness is incredible. I’ve said it before, he reminds me of Mark Stone.

He's one of those guys you can tell wants to win, not just score, and he'll do whatever is required to actually win. And those are the guys you want on your team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

At his age, it’s rare to be defensively sound as he is. Tonight he had quite a few turnovers, but overall, his defensive positioning and awareness is incredible. I’ve said it before, he reminds me of Mark Stone.

Stone is my ceiling comparable also

• Cheers 1

He's burying important chances right now which many players whiff on. Also he's bringing such high energy which is matched by Garland and the two seem to be feeding off each other nicely. 

Not sure if this counts as a 1st, 2nd or 3rd line but it doesn't matter, the energy that Podkolzin and Garland generate seems to be feeding Petey and vice-versa, they're an exciting line to watch and no one would have predicted putting them together except for Bruce.

• Cheers 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:11 AM, Odd. said:

Very bright future for this big young 6'2, 205lb forward..

lol

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Time for another height controversy! :lol:

Ovechkin is 6’3”.  

So how tall is Podkolzin, really? Hmm…

;) 

In all seriousness, really nice of Ovechkin to take to time to meet with Podkolzin and snap a pic. Especially after a loss. OV8 is a class act and a living legend. I’m sure it meant a lot to Vasya to meet his countryman and hero and IMO the greatest Russia player and NHL goalscorer of all time (come at me if you disagree, lol).

I think Pods wrote something like “dreams do come true” in Russian to caption the pic. :) 

I’ve had a lot of respect for Ovie going back to the WJC when Team Canada hammered the Russians. At the end of the game the Russian team skated off without the hand shake except for Ovie and two other players. Same reason I have never had much use for Mallon. Not only did he skate off but flipped Canada the bird as he did. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1